Mitsubishi Montero Gen 2.5 Gas Gauge In-Tank Sender Replacement

jlocster

Explorer
If your gas gauge doesn't function, this might be the culprit.

Gas gauge sender, MB571603
WP_20140531_008%5B1%5D.jpg

WP_20140531_011%5B1%5D.jpg

Lift up the carpet in the rear cargo bay to access this panel. Removing this panel will allow you to access the top of the gas tank.
WP_20140531_001%5B1%5D.jpg

The top of the sending unit is the triangular shaped part on the right.
Remove the wire connector and 3 screws to pull out the old unit.
WP_20140531_002%5B1%5D.jpg

To troubleshoot, disconnect the the fuel pump sending unit connector and jump these terminals. It should cause the fuel gauge on the dash to register as full. If the dash gauge now registers full, and previously only registered empty, it means the dash gauge is working and the sending unit is bad.
WP_20140531_007%5B1%5D.jpg

Installation is the reverse of removal.

Last edited:

andrewr

might be nice

It might be really nice to have a working gas gauge.

Think I'll light a cigar and install a new one.

Thanks for the photos.

jhill15

Explorer
Nice write up Jlocster! I need to do this myself. Did your mile calculator on the compass/clock work correctly? Mine will work if I put over $20 in my tank...well most of the time but anything less it wont calculate how many miles are left in the tank which really sucks when the gas gauge is on the fritz as well. For the most part I will add gallons put in vs miles per gallon...and X my fingers i dont forget and run out of gas lol.

Also did you have to remove the back seat on the passenger side? The fsm calls for it but I wasnt sure if there was a way around it.

Thanks man

jlocster

Explorer
Compass/clock mile calculator? I didn't know the Gen 2.5 had that feature. Also, rear seats don't have to be removed for access.

Ah, jhill...you're talking about the Gen 3. This write up refers to the Gen 2.5. I'm not sure if the info here is applicable to you or not as I don't have any experience with the Gen 3s.

Last edited:

jhill15

Explorer
Lol nah its my bad, I just read the title of the thread again. Thank god its already Wednesday my brain is already fried from work lol.

Thanks Jlocster

off-roader

Expedition Leader
It might be really nice to have a working gas gauge.

Think I'll light a cigar and install a new one.

Thanks for the photos.
Use a flare. The ashes from the Cigar will fall into the gasoline and clog the pump/filter whereas the flare ashes will dissolve in the gasoline. ;)

Jay Ayala

Explorer
I think I have an irrational fear when it comes to dealing with anything close to the gas tank. I'll be cautiously watching this tread.

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

blackohio

Observer
So, replaced mine, installed same order/direction as removal and tank doesnt go above 1/2. I drove around a bunch today and it didnt move, finally after 100 or so miles it started to creep down a little. Looking from the rear of truck the plug was facing the 1 o'clock position. Is it possible it goes at a different orientation and is hitting the tank wall and not going above 1/2 way?

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Jlocster, I need to have a quick phone call with you about this topic. No rush, but I would like to talk before next weekend. Could you make a little time for me?

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Mont

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online