Mitsubishi Montero 2005 Gen III - experience with a remanufactured engine

coffeegoat

Adventurer
I looked and looked and looked, couldn't find a set of 5100 bilsteins that would fit. If you want bolt in I think you're only option is the 4600

DeltaFry

Observer
I made a choice and need a vote

Okay, after much deliberation(thanks for your advice) I have decided to go with this kit for my suspension -->

OME it is.

Rear (60033) shock, 2918 spring)
Front (90007) strut , 2914 - coil)

Please let me know your thoughts on this 1.

FullMonte

Adventurer
Okay, after much deliberation(thanks for your advice) I have decided to go with this kit for my suspension -->

OME it is.

Rear (60033) shock, 2918 spring)
Front (90007) strut , 2914 - coil)

Please let me know your thoughts on this 1.
Hey Delta, check out adventuredrivendesign.com they have a 2.5 inch for our gen3! I know what I'm getting for Christmas!

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
It's ok they're up there so procrastinate all you want, FullMonte want's to R&D the 3" kit for us too :)

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Close to 2 months since the last post. The new engine completed 6K miles and this time tried on a proper 4x4 Trail.

Joined a group of TJ's and 4Runner's. This was my first real experience taking it to 4LLC and moving from Auto to manual gearing. This helped a lot though 4LLC 1st gear needs some learning with the throttle. Was also able to to the salute and the ATC worked when I bumped the throttle a bit when only 2 wheels( 1 front and 1 rear) had traction.

It performed really well. However it was very clear that I need to get some a better clearance. I have Michelin LTX ~31"(P265/65R17) and there is a lot of traction so tire change is not happening now.

Another thing I realized was that the suspension needed to be improved so new Strut's ( they say the spring generally stay - I have a 2005 model). I'm trying to gain advice on the choices I have now:

Easy option 1. Coil Spacers and KYB Struts - Can we add coil spacers for a raise on a Gen 3? If yes, anyone here with experience?, then go with a 33" tire later

Option 2: 2" OME lift - I plan on adding armor and possible a bumper on the front. Does this system maintain it's life or does it start sagging?

Option 3: KYB struts with OME springs - Will the KYB struts be compatible with the change in travel the new springs bring?

Other options are also welcome. Kindly suggest.

I don't know anything about video photography but the way you filmed that along with the music makes it look like some desert in the middle east. Looks like a good trip.

You said this above: "ll be sharing the experience after my mechanic made the installation and asked me to drive away in another post."
It sounds like he wanted you to leave after he did the installation. What happened?

DeltaFry

Observer
OffRoadMuch - Thanks for your comments on the video. Yes, it was an attempt to hide bad filming which turned strange. The place is Big Bend Ranch State Park in Texas and the music is from Mongolia. No connections of course :).

I was very happy with the work done by the mechanic and they were very helpful even after the engine was installed. So sorry for any confusion my statement caused.

DeltaFry

Observer
Hey Delta, check out adventuredrivendesign.com they have a 2.5 inch for our gen3! I know what I'm getting for Christmas!

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Thanks FullMonte for the suggestion .. Is there anyone using this suspension setup on a Gen 3?

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Sounds like the mistake was mine when I read your post. That is great that you have a "new" engine. It is great to see people's adventures with Monteros.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles