Mitsubishi L200/TRITON

Born2bwild1

Well here is my story: My name is Sergio Mendez and I went for the first time to the Overland Expo this year and it was a Great experience.

It was also the first long road trip that I take with my Jeep Rubicon 2006 named "Laika 1" in honor of the first alive being in the space and with my Jeep my Trailer at the back. In total I drove almost 1528 Miles from Puerto Vallarta to Amado for the expo and some other miles around Tucson.

All the trip was so great except for the gas mileage that Laika 1 give to me, taken no details the gas consumption almost drain my wallet and my spirit of adventure.

When we are driving back we realize that Laika 1 was not our best choice to attempt a peninsular trip to cover all the americas in 2012 so with tears in our eyes (literally) we decide to say good bye to our beloved Jeep.

We search our chances and options here in México and we make our wish list of expeditions vehicles to pick and this was our toughs:

1.- Land Rover Discovery: Love it but no Diesel engines available in México and aftermarket parts are way to expensive in México.

2.- Defender 110: Our dream, the perfect machine but we don't have $70,000 to $90,000 USD to expend right now.

3.- Volkswagen Amarok: Pick up from VW new in the Mexican market, 4x4 with Diesel engine buuuuutttt no Diff locks and also expensive.

4.- Mitsubishi L200: TRITON named in USA and Europe, I was reading about it and we discover that has a couple of trophies in Europe for the 4x4 capabilities, comes with 4x4 trans, 4H, 4L, with Diff locks (No center diff available in México) but it come also Diesel.

After evaluate all this alternatives (two Amarok and Mitsu) we decide to welcome our brand new "Laika 2" Mitsubishi L200/TRITON to our family and honestly we are very very pleased.

Sooo questions for all of you guys:

1.- Do you know any web page where I can find accessories to upgrade my Mitsu?

2.- What are your opinion about this truck, share your experience?

Heres a Photo of Laika 2

Have a great day.

Attachments

• LAIKA 2.jpg
    LAIKA 2.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 32

Patman

Explorer
Unfortunately the Triton's are not sold in the US so accessories are hard to come by.

I would suggest searching the markets where they have been available for some time.

There are quite a few parts available on ebay Australia

Snorkels
Bull bars
Lifts

Its all available. ARB and IronMan make lots of stuff, so you may be able to find a dealer willing to get it brought in for you, assuming you don't want to order direct from Down Under.

Great looking truck by the way, can't wait to see it all done up and exploring.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
They are also popular in South Africa.
I have the older model than what you have there but several of my buddies have the one that you've got.
Great vehicles

Born2bwild1

Thank you Patman, I was searching the web and you are right I found great things in ARB and Ironman, besides that I found a ARB representer in México.

Until right now I am very happy with the vehicle, I will post the Proccess of the "Laika 2" Project.

I will let you know everything!!

Born2bwild1

Hey Spike you will need to tell me more about your experience with your Mitsu, its the first time that I moved into a 4x4 pick up and I got a great feeling about it, also its my first time with a Mitsubishi vehicle so your opinion will be great 4 me.

Post a picture of your Mitsu!!

bajaexplorer

Sergio,

I have just sign on this forum and read your post: did you bought a 4x4? because the one on the photo is a 2wd!

I have a 2008 L200 4X4 DID that I bought almost 2 years ago and I´m very happy with it. The only problems I have had was the rack and pinion assembly and battery (both replaced under warranty), a/c not working properly (they install a Sahara package) and minor issue: radio´s memories constantly lost (fix pending).

One more thing: dont buy the oem bedliner, because it cause damage to the body´s paint.

I have test it on different terrains and it works very good, the diesel engine feels very strong at low rpm!

Saludos!

Roman

Born2bwild1

Roman:

Hello Roman: Yes I bought a 2010 Mitsubishi L200/TRITON 4X4 Diesel with lock diff, I am not sure where you live but here in MX this is the top of the line ( I use a photo from the internet).

Regarding the issues that you are mention, I am not sure with the mecanical therms in english so can you explain to me about rack and pinion?

Soon I will post the "Laika 2" project updates!! Send me pictures of your Mitsu please!!

I am planning a Overlanding trip in South Baja in November, 93% Off Road, do you want to come??

Good day

CliftonSmith

Observer
Thank you Patman, I was searching the web and you are right I found great things in ARB and Ironman, besides that I found a ARB representer in México.

Until right now I am very happy with the vehicle, I will post the Proccess of the "Laika 2" Project.

I will let you know everything!!

Hi there Born2bwild1! How's your Laika 2 project now? Were you able to find Mitsubishi truck parts and or accessories you need for this project? How is it doing now, can you post pics of it? :D

bajaexplorer

Roman:

Hello Roman: Yes I bought a 2010 Mitsubishi L200/TRITON 4X4 Diesel with lock diff, I am not sure where you live but here in MX this is the top of the line ( I use a photo from the internet).

Regarding the issues that you are mention, I am not sure with the mecanical therms in english so can you explain to me about rack and pinion?

Soon I will post the "Laika 2" project updates!! Send me pictures of your Mitsu please!!

I am planning a Overlanding trip in South Baja in November, 93% Off Road, do you want to come??

Good day
Hello Sergio,
Sorry for the late answer, I really dont know what happened (why I dont receive a notice of your reply) I live in Mexicali, Baja California and I would like to meet you somewhere in your overlanding trip to Baja.
How was your trip?
Regards,
Roman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles