Mitsubishi Fuso Canter Comfort

westyss

Explorer
It is hard to get a soft ride in these trucks, only thing that wasn't mentioned that made a big difference was shocks, good shocks that don't fade with use, maybe an external reservoir type to keep them cooler, they will get a work out.

I would like to say that I think I have my truck dialed in pretty well, both my wife and I have bad backs so a better ride was mandatory, especially from a stock set up. Right from the get go I knew from reading that these were not smooth riding trucks and mods were going to happen, this is what I did, keep in mind in the last ten years there have been many new venders to spend money on but in 2010 not so much.

Super singles, not for a smoother ride but once aired down will make a considerable difference. Mine are 19.5's so they actually need to be aired down, much too stiff a sidewall for the weight carried, I run 48 psi front and 68 psi rears. With those pressures extra tire wear will occur, just the cost of getting some comfort I guess. If I am driving freeways I'll bump it up 15-20 psi each end to reduce wear but for example once I hit the Mexican border those pressures go down, speed bumps are all over the place and reducing the pressure makes a HUGE difference.
It would seem like having some alloy 17's on there would make a big difference.

National air seats with all the adjustments, lumbar support etc. I find ours very comfortable, mine fit me like a glove. For us the air bag in the seat is filled up just enough to raise the seat an inch or two, not very much at all. The seat base needed to be modified on one corner to have it fit next to the engine hump near the centre. A few years ago the small shock absorber was not working any more and that made for a bad..... well I call it the "boingy boing! A new shock settled that down.

So after the seats the ride was still not good so I went with Aon progressive bump stops on the fronts, I didn't notice much of an improvement with those but I'm sure there is, original bump stops are pretty hard and close to the axle.

Then I located what I call a suspension guru, just an older guy who does big and medium truck suspensions and had him do his magic. He re-designed the leaf pack re using some of the leafs, re arched them, no changes to the location of the shackles, lifted the truck 2.5 inches ( he said that was pretty much the limit to be lifted before other items would need to be changed. like the cardan joint) placed some slippery spacers between each leaf spring and put on new shocks. The shocks at the start faded quickly and eventually got tired fast so put some Fox shocks on that so far have been good but do fade somewhat during heavy use in warm conditions ( again external reservoir shocks would be a good investment ).
I asked about removing some of or all of the leafs on the rear overweight leaf pack ( forgot the name of that leaf pack ) but he advised against it, said it will be needed to stop the wallowing with the softer leafs and I believe he was right, when I need to swerve hard the truck handles very well, just like a Porsche! Lol. At that time the suspension work was only $1,400, best bang for the buck! With so many trucks of various sizes on the roads there has to be a several spring shops around, in the little town I was in there were two with several more 30 km's further away.

What I have noticed is oddly enough having more weight aft of the rear wheels helps with the boingy boingy thing! When I tow my little boats on a trailer things smooth out more, the boingy thing is what seems to make the ride feel harsher and addressing that might help improve the ride dramatically, eventually once these shocks fail I will spring (pun) for a better shocks, maybe just up front too, not sure its needed on the rears.

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
Hello All,

I don't want to get off on the wrong foot but my van build isn't that of a typical camper. I'm assembling a truck with a van body for service work that is capable of handling rough terrain.

So almost exactly one year ago I jumped off my wallet and bought a brand new 2018 FG4X4 CC. I had a custom van body built for it with aluminum rear frame, subframe, walls and roof to keep it as light as possible. I put on a whiting roll up door on the back.

I still don't have the back outfitted properly because I'm too busy chasing my tail...so it's on the to-do list. So far I've been using it for about 25000km.

But here lies the problem....my back....after a couple hours of driving it my back is aching. The seats have a half inch of foam, I can't drive over a pothole without hitting the bump stop and sending my coffee 2 feet in the air. I damn near get motion sickness driving the freaking thing.

Do I get a better seat with air ride? Do I get parabolic springs? Do I get bigger tires and lower the pressure? Do I carry more weight? (Currently just over 9000lbs).

Please help for the sake of my lower back, kidneys, and occasionally my daughter's neck.

Cheers,

Kevin

I'm going to try to attach a pic of my truck as well.

Upgrading to our Bump-Stops or Timbren SES would help absorb the harshness of the suspension a ton. It sounds like you need the stronger of the two, so check out our Timbren SES. Visti https://timbren.com/# to learn more about both products. Shoot us a direct message if you have any questions or concerns.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Stock Fuso bumpstops are basically hockey pucks so I agree that changing those out is a very good first step.

ATW parabolic springs, shocks, bumpstops and super singles on our truck made a huge difference in the ride. We had the stock seats rebuilt by a really good local to us upholstery shop. He added foam and reshaped the seats and bolsters to fit us better. We also added heating elements so you can turn those on and with the bumpy ride you get a back massage - no kidding, it works! Getting the seats rebuilt wasn't all that expensive.

Stock Fuso bumpstops are basically hockey pucks so I agree that changing those out is a very good first step.

ATW parabolic springs, shocks, bumpstops and super singles on our truck made a huge difference in the ride. We had the stock seats rebuilt by a really good local to us upholstery shop. He added foam and reshaped the seats and bolsters to fit us better. We also added heating elements so you can turn those on and with the bumpy ride you get a back massage - no kidding, it works! Getting the seats rebuilt wasn't all that expensive.
Do you have a picture of your reupholstered seats somewhere? I'm contemplating doing the same thing.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Love my ATW19.5’s for most everything in the US and Canada.
Will be heading to Baja and I am concerned about lower pressure for extended rock days and of course sand. I am mostly concerned with how low we can take a non beaded tire without it coming off.
Anybody have real world experience with extended periods (not just to get out of a sand jamb) of low pressures in rock and sand.

gait

Explorer
4.5 tonne Canter, weight evenly distributed front and rear. Ran Toyos on 19.5ATW rims at 30psi, occasionally down to 25psi, across more than 500km of Simpson Desert sand over more than a month. Felt I could have gone lower if necessary, but no need. Speed less than 50km/hr. There's load, pressure, and speed. Increase load, decrease pressure, or increase speed all increase tyre sidewall temperature - my test is if I can keep my hand on sidewall about 3cm from rim, the hottest area. Reduce tyre pressure to increase footprint. Same tyre with greater load and higher pressure can have same footprint as lower load lower pressure - the limit is not lowest pressure, its max footprint.

gait

Explorer
while I'm here. I have Koni shock absorbers with parabolic springs and Aeon bumpstops. The shock absorbers have soft bounce and harsher rebound. The shock absorbers take another bit out of the harshness of hitting a bump.

I used to have two spares hung off the back. Moving them (one to underneath rear, other as carcass on roorfrack) reduced pitching - the maths of moments of inertia is about the mass x square of the distance from centre of truck.

GR8ADV

Explorer
4.5 tonne Canter, weight evenly distributed front and rear. Ran Toyos on 19.5ATW rims at 30psi, occasionally down to 25psi, across more than 500km of Simpson Desert sand over more than a month. Felt I could have gone lower if necessary, but no need. Speed less than 50km/hr. There's load, pressure, and speed. Increase load, decrease pressure, or increase speed all increase tyre sidewall temperature - my test is if I can keep my hand on sidewall about 3cm from rim, the hottest area. Reduce tyre pressure to increase footprint. Same tyre with greater load and higher pressure can have same footprint as lower load lower pressure - the limit is not lowest pressure, its max footprint.
Do you have a front ltd slip? Thx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94