Mitsubishi Delica JB 500 refit from Cute to Mean

mobydick 11

Hi all ,I want to start a new Tread on Jesse Farsang old camper . My goal is to turn it into an Expo or overlander . Jesse had did a good job of bringing the camper to a dependable state . I wish to change and prep it for a trip to Alaska and the Yukon. So far i have brought the servicing up to date ,installed new back shocks and front lower ball joints. as well as lots of little repairs .
So this week I started the change over ,I cut 4 inches off the lower body opened up the wheel wells and cut 8 inches off the back with a slope down to the wheel arch . I also added 4 new LED submersible tail lights to the back , they are on temporarily until i get the new rock bumper and trailer hitch installed .
The suspension will be getting next week, new front coil over shocks given 500 lbs increase in load . the rear is getting Air Lift air bag kit . I have rock Rails to install on the sides as well as back and front crash bumpers ,the front is also getting a bull bar and 12,000 lb winch . there will be a snorkel for air and rerouting of the exhaust up the passenger side to the top .

I will be replacing all inside systems ,fridge, hot water tank ,heating . this is to up date and save some weight . the fridge well be a portable truck fridge 12 V. the heater is a 12 V diesel ,the hot water will be 5 L on demand .

The paint will be semi gloss black for the wheels, rock rails and bumpers .army tank green for lower two feet ,then desert sand for upper .
There will be new slider style windows install ,this is to enable driving with them open .

Well thanks for reading and I will update as i go , two things i could use helpful suggestions with are . front seat replacement ,i need a better seat . and i cant get the shiftier to go into low range . i think it is probably the linkage having not being used in like forever .

Have a good one Richard

mobydick 11

Quick update ,so yesterday I removed the spear tire and mount . it was located underneath the truck below the fuel tank . It will be relocated on the rear rock bumper once it is installed . also the grey water tank ran across the back of the camper and would not allow for the slope in the rear i want . I have not decided if it will be relocated or deleted. On my Rockwood hard side there is just a bib you screw a one inch hose to then run it to a sewer hook up .or if i was dry camping to a pail ,and that worked OK . Have a great day Richard

PacS14

Adventurer
Sounds like something I would want to see pictures of... Jk when you get a chance man share some pictures of your ride!

mobydick 11

sorry I am taking pictures as i go with tablet and I phone . I am not a computer kind of guy so do not know how to get them to this site . i will get my son to do it when he stops over .may be a bit though . today i bolted the brackets to the front and sides of frame . welder shop pushed me off a week ,but now he has something to weld to . I also cut two more inches off the back of body to increase angle . cut one more inch out of wheel arch to decrease angle there .It is one of these things were you just keep taking a bit at a time ,and hope to get the look and function right . thanks Richard

PacS14

Adventurer
sorry I am taking pictures as i go with tablet and I phone . I am not a computer kind of guy so do not know how to get them to this site . i will get my son to do it when he stops over .may be a bit though . today i bolted the brackets to the front and sides of frame . welder shop pushed me off a week ,but now he has something to weld to . I also cut two more inches off the back of body to increase angle . cut one more inch out of wheel arch to decrease angle there .It is one of these things were you just keep taking a bit at a time ,and hope to get the look and function right . thanks Richard

If the pictures are not too big you can click on the attach files button at the bottom of the message, otherwise you have to upload the pictures to a host, etc. But keep up the good work!

apalazzolo

THIS is fascinating! Thank you for posting your work/ideas. I'd love to see some pictures of your work if possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles