Mitsubishi advice needed

BukFL

First post from a long time lurker...

While my fiberglass egg camper has served me well for trips into the FL backlands, I’ve had my eye on a 99 swb FE-HD for a while and finally have tracked down the owners. I’m just not sure that it is something I should roll the dice on, so want some opinions.

The truck in question Is a low mileage (120k) 1998 FE HD. It is a short wheelbase version, With a fiberglass and aluminum box that looks suitable for a camper conversion. It would be slightly larger than my existing camper. If purchased and everything goes well, I would build it out to where the box could be exchanged for a stake body, when not camping.

here’s where I need the advice. This truck has been sitting still since 2014, when the business owner passed away suddenly. It has had no service and looks like ever loving hell. I know at the least, it will need new fluids, batteries, and the like before trying to get it running. It will also need new tires, brakes, etc.

Am I playing with fire?

I have 12 years of delivery fleet management with these trucks, FTR’s, NPR’s, etc. I remember them being pretty reliable and sturdy, but also remember a late 80’s Canter that was a pain at times. I also recall that the parts were rather expensive. I guess my main concern is that it could be a money pit, due to sitting for so long. At the same time, I’m fairly sure that I could get it cheap...real cheap.

Throw me some opinions please

Attachments

• B27D218D-CCBF-439C-A2BD-738A8ECDB043.jpeg
    B27D218D-CCBF-439C-A2BD-738A8ECDB043.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 24CA8D98-0AA0-4CEE-8B4B-35723AEE238B.jpeg
    24CA8D98-0AA0-4CEE-8B4B-35723AEE238B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • AED772C4-6FFD-4F0A-AE56-1D853632C7DE.jpeg
    AED772C4-6FFD-4F0A-AE56-1D853632C7DE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 538E14A3-7162-4D5F-A158-1415ECC19B1D.jpeg
    538E14A3-7162-4D5F-A158-1415ECC19B1D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21

yabanja

Explorer
With your work experience you are probably more qualified to make the call than any of us! That having been said, My truck of this generation has been tremendously reliable. Items of concern are rusty frames, and Fuel tank rust. I would recommend draining the tank prior to attempting to start. If there is any indication of rust replace the tank. I went with an aluminum 50 gallon from a freight liner out of a junkyard-super cheap. As it is not a 4x4 and looking at the condition I probably wouldn't pay more than $1500 for it. You might be better off just buying a good running one for $3-4K!

Allan

BukFL

Thanks Allan,

that was my debate, whether it was worth taking on some thing that potentially could require a lot, versus one ready for the road. Down here, nothing rusts was that bad, but these trucks are normally used to death. Finding something old and decent is rare. I figured $600 on trying to get running, then another grand for tires and brakes.

I didn’t get to deep in the old job. Procurement, service contract negotiation, dealing with issues, teaching drivers how to do trip checks, etc. Never turned a wrench on them.

BukFL

If the old man was still alive and I could get the details on condition when parked, I’d be a whole lot more comfortable with it.

dlh62c

Explorer
Try to find out just how bad they want it gone. If it can’t move under its own power, offer to tow it away for free.

Reactions: plh

BukFL

No, they’re definitely not giving anything away. There’s an entire 3000 square-foot loaded business, along with a fleet of service vehicles that have been sitting for six years.

BukFL

I think my ceiling is $1000. I’m also going to offer liquidation services for the rest of it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94