Mitsu Fuso Camper examples

jerdog53

Explorer
I do so like these trucks!

It will be interesting to see Four Wheel Campers do something for this market.

Gatsma

Adventurer
I do so like these trucks!

It will be interesting to see Four Wheel Campers do something for this market.
Agreed! Something like this FWC pic would be useful for a flatbed app on just about any truck. I think they would sell a bunch if the specs and price are right.

Gatsma

Adventurer
according to this article, reporting from last year's OVEX, there are at least four companies making a flat bed camper.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/weekly-blog/flatbed-truck-camper

1) Buy used cabover and get into good working order

2) Buy or build flatbed

3) Buy flatbed camper

4) Save many tens of thousands of dollars over buying a 165k fiberglass box on a new Fuso chassis.

I've seen a few of them, notably Northstar's, and it was a good thing I was sitting at the time. What they were asking for what is essentially a straight-sided pickup camper took me aback. I like your 4 steps better!

Gatsma

Adventurer
Hey, cool rig, Ozzy! And on an Isuzu too! Sure wish we Norte Americanos could get the 4wd models- The Isuzus (at least the ones we get ) have a much stronger frame than the Mitsu FG, plus a much bigger engine(5.2L) and much better automatic trans (6-sp. Aisin).
And CHEERS to you, too!

Buckstopper

Adventurer

Gatsma

Adventurer
Hey Buckstopper- The 4 steps DID sound "somewhat" over-simplified(in the sense that it is "somewhat" dark at night), but it sounded WAAAY better than the alternatives......

VicHanson

Adventurer
IMGP0019_resize.JPG

Started with this

IMGP0369_resize.JPG IMGP0168_resize.JPG IMGP0178_resize.JPG IMGP0665_resize.JPG

Modified it and put it on this

IMGP0669 crop_resize.jpg IMGP0770_resize.JPG Don't know why this pic won't show up, sorry.

And ended up with this (after 4 months)

Cost about $25,000 including a used box truck, used camper and solar system (added after the above picture). See my signature for a link to the complete build thread with pictures. Have been living in it for over 4 years now, so far just traveling in the U.S. If I had to do it over again I would spend more and get a newer (or better) camper, had to do a lot of repair work on the one I got, due to leaks and rotten wood.

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
See, Vic followed my four step plan and wound up with a very nice rig for about 25k, which is "tens of thousands" less than 165k :D

Gatsma

Adventurer
See, Vic followed my four step plan and wound up with a very nice rig for about 25k, which is "tens of thousands" less than 165k :D
OK, OK... you now have my undying allegiance. If I EVER doubt you again, send out a hit man.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94