MIssion Overland Trailer Owners page

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Hi,
I'm pretty early on in the research phase of the available adventure trailers to tow behind my Wrangler 3500/350. These units seem amazing and very compelling for many reasons. My primary motive for backcountry camping is Mountain Biking. It just doesn't seem like the Summit has an obvious way to store 2-4 mountain bikes. Especially if they are E-Bikes. 4 E-Bikes weigh 200Lbs and the only obvious place for them is near the front of the tongue. I read a few comments from this thread but don't see any solutions. Thoughts?

Don't forget the rack. My Recon hitch rack is 75 lbs. Four ebikes and hitch rack on any trailer light enough to be pulled by a Wrangler is going to bring in sway issues. In fact adding near 300 pounds of bikes and all your gear is going to bring down your towing capacity to 3k or even less if you have 4 passengers.

Hi Mission Overland owners! If you might indulge me... I am debating whether to get a Mission Overland Summit or an Off Grid Expedition 2.0. If any of you ended up purchasing a MO trailer after looking at both of these models (as well as any others), I'd really like to know what it was that pushed you over the top to the Mission Overland trailer. I like the Truma Combi in the MO, and the fact that you have the option to stand up inside. I also like the fact that you can sit and have some coffee inside in the morning with the little table. What else is great about it?

Daisy22

Hi Mission Overland owners! If you might indulge me... I am debating whether to get a Mission Overland Summit or an Off Grid Expedition 2.0. If any of you ended up purchasing a MO trailer after looking at both of these models (as well as any others), I'd really like to know what it was that pushed you over the top to the Mission Overland trailer. I like the Truma Combi in the MO, and the fact that you have the option to stand up inside. I also like the fact that you can sit and have some coffee inside in the morning with the little table. What else is great about it?
Isn't that enough? We looked at both and the standing and bench options were key in making our decision for the summit.

Isn't that enough? We looked at both and the standing and bench options were key in making our decision for the summit.
Well, while I listed the things that I like about the MO, I have several things I prefer on the Off Grid as well. The new FabTech suspension, the kitchen that doesn't take up additional internal storage, the rear hitch for additional carry of bikes, the lack of canvas that will need to replaced at some point. So there are things I like about both, which was why I'm curious what put others over the top. I've looked at both in person, and it's a bit of a toss up at this point.

Last edited:

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram

A friend of mine looked at both back to back last year. What I recall him telling me is that the electrical work in the Off Grid was very poorly done.

IMO the MO is by and far the better option of the two, mostly for the reasons you've already mentioned.

Well, while I listed the things that I like about the MO, I have several things I prefer on the Off Grid as well. The new FabTech suspension, the kitchen that doesn't take up additional internal storage, the rear hitch for additional carry of bikes, the lack of canvas that will need to replaced at some point. So there are things I like about both, which was why I'm curious what put others over the top. I've looked at both in person, and it's a bit of a toss up at this point.

-The Summit bed is elevated which is made possible by the rear entry. Because of the elevated bed, the Summit has much more storage than the Offgrid Trailers.

-If you are considering the Pando, the approach angle is better on the Summit.

- If you want sleeping space for more than two, the Offgrids use a RTT. The problem is the furnace on the Offgrid does not pipe into the tent. 2 warm bodies, 2 cold bodies. Also, RTT are made of canvas.

- the RTT on the Offgrids give you fewer options for mounting solar panels.

- Bigger fridge on the Summit.

- Higher water capacity on the Summit.

- Max Coupler hitch is standard on the Summit.

- Now add back in the fact you can stand in the Summit and build a seating area.

Those are the reasons we chose the Summit over the OGT. Both companies were started by Mark Badgerow, so both are going to be quality trailers. MO is the company that formed out of what Mark learned starting OGT.

Last edited:
How did you install it?

I removed and spliced the hose directly after the water pump. Cut out the length taken up by the meter and re-installed the hose. It took some thread adapters for NPT, but other than that it was easy-peasy. The read-out goes under the sink when travelling and when we set up, it comes out and sits in the included holster mounted on the wall next to the sink.

Last edited:

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

What is your tow vehicle?

-The Summit bed is elevated which is made possible by the rear entry. Because of the elevated bed, the Summit has much more storage than the Offgrid Trailers.

-If you are considering the Pando, the approach angle is better on the Summit.

- If you want sleeping space for more than two, the Offgrids use a RTT. The problem is the furnace on the Offgrid does not pipe into the tent. 2 warm bodies, 2 cold bodies. Also, RTT are made of canvas.

- the RTT on the Offgrids give you fewer options for mounting solar panels.

- Bigger fridge on the Summit.

- Higher water capacity on the Summit.

- Max Coupler hitch is standard on the Summit.

- Now add back in the fact you can stand in the Summit and build a seating area.

Those are the reasons we chose the Summit over the OGT. Both companies were started by Mark Badgerow, so both are going to be quality trailers. MO is the company that formed out of what Mark learned starting OGT.
Thank you for your thoughts on this. I guess my decision is made more difficult because I’m only looking to sleep two people, and never use a rooftop tent. And I already spec’s out the unit with a max coupler, and had not considered going with the smaller Dometic refrigerator. When they are spec’s similarly, the mission overland is a few thousand dollars more.

I just got back from looking at one, and really liked it. Unfortunately, the only graphics packages they had were camo, which is not one I’m interested in. I imagine that’s an issue for dealers… Because of the customization possibilities! People are going to have their favored graphics.

Thank you for your thoughts on this. I guess my decision is made more difficult because I’m only looking to sleep two people, and never use a rooftop tent. And I already spec’s out the unit with a max coupler, and had not considered going with the smaller Dometic refrigerator. When they are spec’s similarly, the mission overland is a few thousand dollars more.

I just got back from looking at one, and really liked it. Unfortunately, the only graphics packages they had were camo, which is not one I’m interested in. I imagine that’s an issue for dealers… Because of the customization possibilities! People are going to have their favored graphics.
I wish I only had to sleep two! Having the ability to stand inside and create a sitting area would be way better if I didn't need the bunks in the Summit.

I totally understand your conundrum. I was literally hours away from placing a deposit on an OGT Pando 2.0 when I stumbled on Mission Overland. The deciding factor was that the furnace did not connect into the RTT on the OGT. That said, I couldn't live without the other features now that I've used the Summit for a couple seasons. IE. Extra storage, standing room/sitting area, larger water capacity, larger fridge. The Truma Combi is also a dream.

Last edited:
I wish I only had to sleep two! Having the ability to stand inside and create a sitting area would be way better if I didn't need the bunks in the Summit.

I totally understand your conundrum. I was literally hours away from placing a deposit on an OGT Pando 2.0 when I stumbled on Mission Overland. The deciding factor was that the furnace did not connect into the RTT on the OGT. That said, I couldn't live without the other features now that I've used the Summit for a couple seasons. IE. Extra storage, standing room/sitting area, larger water capacity, larger fridge. The Truma Combi is also a dream.
The Truma is actually one of the big reasons I'm interested. I'll be traveling mostly during cold weather (me and my Bernese Mountain Dog), so I'm not sure how often I'll get to pop the roof, but it would definitely be nice to have in the shoulder seasons and summer. I spend about one out of every four nights in a parking lot or rest area as I don't stay in one place very long, so I'd likely be keeping the top down in those situations. I traveled in a teardrop for about three months a few years ago, and it was fine, but I haven't traveled with my dog in a camper - just a sprinter van.

I found it interesting today that while there is a 2000w inverter, there are no plugs inside the camper! You have to plug in directly to the inverter in the battery case. I suppose running a line into the camper wouldn't be too hard.

Thanks for your input - much appreciated!

The Truma is actually one of the big reasons I'm interested. I'll be traveling mostly during cold weather (me and my Bernese Mountain Dog), so I'm not sure how often I'll get to pop the roof, but it would definitely be nice to have in the shoulder seasons and summer. I spend about one out of every four nights in a parking lot or rest area as I don't stay in one place very long, so I'd likely be keeping the top down in those situations. I traveled in a teardrop for about three months a few years ago, and it was fine, but I haven't traveled with my dog in a camper - just a sprinter van.

I found it interesting today that while there is a 2000w inverter, there are no plugs inside the camper! You have to plug in directly to the inverter in the battery case. I suppose running a line into the camper wouldn't be too hard.

Thanks for your input - much appreciated!

My Summit didn't come with an inverter. There's no AC at all. Everything is DC except when plugged into shore power, there's a WFCO converter to charge the battery and run the DC appliances. Perhaps the dealer added the inverter you saw after the fact? Or are you referring to the OGT?

Let us know what you decide!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94