MIssion Overland Trailer Owners page

carbon60

Explorer
Sorry to hear that about your pal. I know how it feels.

We were out about 50% of the season, as soon as the provincial government removed the public land camping restrictions. COVID has been very good to us, we’re lucky.
04fc041dd3dfc9409a7191052f6fa45a.jpg
6ef23654d975bb96a03c4a838462815f.jpg
77b881192603652ba200aac3f63eb5f8.jpg

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Sorry to hear that about your pal. I know how it feels.

We were out about 50% of the season, as soon as the provincial government removed the public land camping restrictions. COVID has been very good to us, we’re lucky.
04fc041dd3dfc9409a7191052f6fa45a.jpg
6ef23654d975bb96a03c4a838462815f.jpg
77b881192603652ba200aac3f63eb5f8.jpg
Nice shots! Is that Lake Superior in the top photo? Those look like 80 series LC wheels on the trailer. Am I right?

carbon60

Explorer
Nice shots! Is that Lake Superior in the top photo? Those look like 80 series LC wheels on the trailer. Am I right?

Sort of close! That’s Lake Ontario, Prince Edward County to be exact.

This is Superior (a couple weeks later):

c9836ff88a5c2ff8788faeceb1d8ba7c.jpg

Yeah, LC80 wheels. ‘cause it gets towed by an HDJ81:

1a398e566c97f02d5f0741c23cc6c562.jpg

TB303

Just put in a screen door and run the fan to draw outside air in.

what screen door did you get? i was looking at all the magnetic ones but they all seem to be 80" tall. thanks as always, 50% of the advice in this thread is from you!

TB303

Wanted to share a tip i discovered tonight. A cleanwaste portable toilet (the gray rectangular thing) fits perfectly between the back of the pull-out stove/sink drawer and the opposite-side door. Horizontally, put the bottom in first, then the top snaps in, then the door closes.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Wanted to share a tip i discovered tonight. A cleanwaste portable toilet (the gray rectangular thing) fits perfectly between the back of the pull-out stove/sink drawer and the opposite-side door. Horizontally, put the bottom in first, then the top snaps in, then the door closes.
y

My PETT toilet, Skottle, grill , wheel chocks, flag pole mount all fit on the opposite side of the fridge.
On on the opposite side of the sink are bags with the shower hose, water hose and electric extension cords for RV parks.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
With not being able to get out as much this year as I wanted, I invested time in another addiction; ham radio. I've been a ham for 40 years the end of December. My greatest enjoyment is to contact hams that live in other countries. This activity is called DXing. After such a contact we can send the other station a request for confirmation of our contact. To do this postcards are exchanged. These postcards are special. They typically include a picture of something we like, often a picture of our radio station, but it can be anything really. I recently received confirmation of three contacts I had with a ham in the Falkland Islands. That is pretty rare "DX". Here are pics of the front of our cards, and the return envelope I received. Note the stamp. It is a drawing of a Series I Land Rover. 88" wheelbase hardtop to be exact. Kind of neat!

VP8LP QSL card:

Falkland QSL card.jpg

The return envelope I sent him with his postage stamp on it.

Falkland Island Envelope.jpg

My QSL card.

WU7X QSL card.jpg

I am now installing a HF/VHF/UHF Icom 7100 radio in the 4Runner. I am also building a multi-band HF vertical antenna that I can take in the field with me. I will then be able to continue "DXing" from wherever I set up camp.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
High Frequency (HF) amateur radio is a great addition to overlanding. Imagine setting up camp in a remote location then chatting with someone in Europe, South America, Africa, or Asia. Spot on fun!

With the awning on the trailer, or if in inclement weather, via the table inside it, you can stay away from the elements. DXing is a great way to meet people from around the world, learn how diverse and yet similar we all are, and get a handle on our planetary geography all at the same time.

carbon60

Explorer
High Frequency (HF) amateur radio is a great addition to overlanding. Imagine setting up camp in a remote location then chatting with someone in Europe, South America, Africa, or Asia.

On my list is to build an NVIS setup in my rig so we can coordinate larger convoys across a few hundred miles. Ever done that?

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
On my list is to build an NVIS setup in my rig so we can coordinate larger convoys across a few hundred miles. Ever done that?
Nope, not yet. But have you ever looked at the antenna arrays attached to the bumpers in ARB's ads? These ads appear to be made in Australia. They show beautifully contructed VHF/UHF and separate HF antennas. The HF antennas are typically short, being no more than a meter or so in height. I'm pretty sure they are built for NVIS type communications. I have asked about these antennas but never get an answer from ARB. Icom sells a HF mobile antenna here in the states, can't remember the model number at the moment. It has the matching network built into its base. It costs over $2,000 ! If I had the funds I'd purchase one, mount it ARB fashion on the front bumper, ground it extensively to the frame and see how well it works. The UN and NGOs around the world use this system, often mounted on Land Cruisers, for communications. As an aside, I remember that an Australian company tried to sell HF mobile type antennas here in the states several years ago. I saw the ads in QST magazine. Sales must have been bad as they seem to have dropped out of the market pretty rapidly.

Here is the system I am still working on getting installed in the 4Runner. It fits over the driver's side rear window. The frame is installed in the vehicle. I just haven't had time (or more correctly impetus) to finishing wiring it in. The control head is mounted on a stalk on the right side of the transmission tunnel in front. The IC7100 is touch screen, so I can quickly go from VHF to UHF to HF with a touch of a finger. This radio will also do APRS and D-Star. It's only issue, from what I hear is that it requires a continuous 13.8 v current or it will shut off. For me that's no problem while driving, but at rest my two AGM battery system quickly stabilizes at ~ 12.5 v. For HF I'll be running a Little Tarheel II mini-screwdriver antenna, probably mounted on the upper left side of the rear hatch.The TurboTuner 2 in the white box next to the radio will automatically tune the Tarheel with a push of a button from the control head. For the VHF/UHF frequencies I have already mounted a Comet dual band antenna. I have an old Garmin GPS antenna I may use for APRS.

2EBE66F5-343C-4F8C-8A5D-08F301A17B02_1_201_a.jpeg

HowardMorris

I got it (well, WILL get it) direct from them. It’s part of the upcoming build so I should be able to pick it up in Alberta in January. It’s “only” an 11-hr drive but the scenery is spectacular.
Keep an eye on the border closures ,currently closed un December 21st.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Merry Christmas everyone!

This not so perfect year is drawing to a close. Adios! My New Year's resolution, and wish for all of us, is to get out more, stay longer, and worry about the planning minutia less. Montana and Idaho fly fishing streams are calling. There are still a LOT of backcountry roads I've never been on. Time to find them and enjoy them! I'm partaking of some most excellent Japanese whiskey in the scene below. Excellent stuff! Happy campfires to all in 2021!

04BB040B-C599-4E11-AC8D-DA6B14B67E6B.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94