MIssion Overland Trailer Owners page

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The Beastie is up in storage in Alberta for the winter so I can’t run out and give you exact measurements. But I’m guessing that one has has about 2 feet from the end of the sleeping platform to the bottom of the doo. But remember that th rear of the trailer flares outward so you actually have lots of room to stan up and dress up, wash off, etc. The rear cabinets enclose some of this area, but their tops make nice surfaces to hold stuff.

with the top up it would be easy to use a Jetboil on the tabletop. The cabinet tops have useful space too. I’d never light a stove in the trailer with the top down.
Thanks

Yipjeep

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Appreciate the pic. It looked like with top down you would still have room but good to hear it from folks using the trailer. I shouldn't have focused so much on serious weather, I was also thinking of times when I'm moving quickly to get to a location and just want to stop for night to sleep but don't want to pop top. Just crawl in and crash.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
You can easily slip in for a nap. While inside you can close the rear door and open the side windows while listening to music on the radio. Sweet.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Snow on the ground here. Not much, and it is trying to melt. Still, gotta think about how grand all the camping was last summer. We stopped at the Colorado National Monument on the way to the Rocky Mountain Overland Rally. Ran into a group of ADVers from the midwest and chatted with them for a bit. A little while later drove by a very relaxed group of bighorn sheep lazing away the day next to the road. Will try to find some pics of them if I can.

We got out of the rig several times whenever we could find parking room for both the car and the trailer. Here is one of the overlooks we stopped at. The CNM is next door to Grand Junction, CO. We used to live in Montrose waaaaay back in 1977-79. Wow, has this area really grown over the years. But the beauty of the area is still as wonderful as ever. Just harder to get away from the crowds.

I'm laughing at the picture. That's Grand Mesa in the background. I used a new to me photo editor and replaced the bleached out original sky in the photo with these pretty clouds. They weren't in the valley between us and Grand Mesa though. :rolleyes:

Nanc at CNM 2019.jpeg

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Ah, summertime! I can't wait for next summer to come along.

This picture will give you an idea of the overall length of the combination trailer/4Runner. Dusty, my 5th gen 4Runner, is turned at a bit of an angle in this pic so it makes it difficult to accurately gauge the near equal lengths of these two. I think that the trailer with the tongue is maybe 1' longer overall. The distance from the center of the trailer axle to the hitch is almost equal to the distance of the hitch to the center of the front axle on Dusty. This makes towing, turning, etc., really straightforward.

I've never actually weighed the Beastie, but think with 37 gal. of water, a full propane tank, the 65 L Dometic frig/freezer filled up, and all the rest of our clothing and camping gear, it probably comes in a tad over 3,000 lbs. This is well within the towing capacity of most SUVs. The only time Dusty grunts is on long, steep mountain pass roads. The worst gas mileage I got was in such as situation was 9.9 MPG with one heck of a headwind. That compares to just about anything else out there. My average towing ranged around 12-14 MPG depending on speed and elevation changes. While towing I try to keep the needle around 60-65 MPH on the highways and much lower on gravel and two-track. I should point out again that I am running 4.56 gears and 32" BFG AT KO2s. The Beastie goes wherever I point Dusty and takes rough roads in stride. In fact, I was amazed at how the Timbren suspension sucks up bumps and pot holes on some of the trails we have been down.

Salmon Meadows with Tucker.jpg

Tucker, our Boykin Spaniel, just turned 14. We think he is the perfect sized dog for traveling and as a home dog. Boykins are great hunters besides being the best family dogs. The breed is about a century old and comes from Boykin County in the Carolinas. Bred initially for use out of duck boats, they are becoming very popular out west here for upland birding. One of the happiest and loving dogs I've ever had.

Last edited:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
The weekend after attending the Northwest Overland Rallye in Plain, WA, last summer we drove up to BC to partake in the overland rally there. Talk about a change in weather! Whistler weekend was cold and wet! We still had a great time by gathering in the tribe. Son and daughter-in-law, along with grandson and his girlfriend, joined us. Having the family together at a great event like this made all the rain and wind more than bearable.

The big yellow tent off to the right is a Redverz. I bought it when I was having fun riding ADV bikes and still use it a lot. It is huge, yet relatively lightweight and is easy to carry on a motorcycle. In fact, it is big enough to park your motorcycle in for the night. The kids used it all weekend with no complaints.

BCOR 2019 COLD.jpg

Last edited:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Isn't this the image of the perfect campsite? Not only was it perfect, we had it all to ourselves. The entire grassy expanse surrounding the trees was covered in wildflowers. Our tracks were the first to drive through them to get to our campsite. We had it all to ourselves for two days before the weather once more changed to heavy rains and we begrudgingly headed home.

Cascades campground 2019.jpg

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
One of the most fulfilling aspects of overlanding for Nanc and me is the incredible people we have the opportunity to meet. Here we are with a couple we met at the Rocky Mountain Overland Rally. They were from Texas. We ran into them the night before RMOR opened at a campsite near Gunnison, CO. If anything, they were having more fun than we. See you down the trail friends!

RMOR 2019.jpg

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Robert Frost -

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Two Roads diverged.jpg

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
What is your idea of a great "overlanding" trip? Where do you want to go and what do you want to see? Is it the trip or the destination? How much time will you take?

Flaming Gorge 2019-2.jpg

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Thought I'd share an inReach shot of where Nanc and I traveled with the Beastie this year. Unfortunately the inReach wasn't used for all of them. Total was over 9,000 miles with the trailer and an additional 3,000 in just the 4Runner. It was a fun year overlanding!

1576790198591.png

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
SWMBO wants to stay closer to home this year. So this is what I've come up with so far. Three major trips signified by the red, blue and violet lines. The yellow line is an alternate connecting point. The markers along these routes signify either USFS campsites or gas stations. Two things should stick out mountainous topography and rivers. Fly fishing anyone?

I used Gaia GPS to create these routes. My favorite gps software. But downloading the three map layers to cover areas involved took my iPad 36 hours! That's a lot of data.

Some of the additional red markers are leftovers from my 2018 Northwest Montana ROF trip.

Beastie is perfect for adventures like this. It carries enough propane and water so that we can stay pretty remote for as long as we wish. With the 180 watt solar panel hooked up we have all the electricity we need. The 65 l frig/freezer keeps us fed with healthy food, not typical road trip greasy ********. The big limiter for us is gasoline for the 4Runner. Round trip on one of these is well over 600 miles.

1576790768997.png

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
Idaho can require a lot of miles, and a lot of cross-compartment driving, up one ridge, then down into the river valley, back up the next ridge and on and on... :) Good stuff. LOTS of mountains, some great rivers, creeks and lakes.

Went with my oldest son and a couple of our buddies last September, we did the northernmost 600 miles of the 1,200+ mile Idaho BDR. My goodness! Some beautiful country! I'd have liked to linger at a couple of the spots & do some fishing. You asked what the ideal trip is, and for me, it's less driving, more camping, hiking, fishing, photography, etc... I like the drive, I like the other stuff better. My little Jeep & trailer are just a way for me to easily access all kinds of wonderful places.

An Idaho lake I'd like to visit again, with time for fishing:
zmfab4Ch.jpg

UIqMryhh.jpg

Pretty sure a trout or two could be found in any of dozens of streams like this:
Xi8NpXgh.jpg

JZk5tTbh.jpg

Regards, Guy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles