MIssion Overland Trailer Owners page

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Finally getting the chance to plan the trip to RMOR. Who else is heading down there?

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I'll be at RMOR, probably just on Saturday. I live in Gunnison so I can answer any questions you might have.

Hey Waggoner, look me up Thursday afternoon. We’re camping somewhere around Montrose on Wednesday, maybe the Umcompadre Plateau. Want to hit the Black Canyon of the Gunnison before arriving at RMOR on Thursday. We lived in Montrose back in ‘77-78 when I worked for the BLM. I did a lot of dirt roads from Delores to Gunnison in those days. Bet things have changed a LOT since then. I used to snowshoe on Grand Mesa. Will have the radio on 146.46 MHz simplex on the way in. Wonder how hard it would be to find a camping site on Grand Mesa come to think of it....

Waygoner

Observer
Lots of good camping options between Montrose and Gunnison. Owl Creek Pass over to SilverJack Reservoir is nice. Plenty of side roads north of Blue Mesa to explore too. I don't know much about Grand Mesa, but bring lots of bug spray!

Thanks for all the pics. We have a unit under build starting now. We worked with Mark on a number of minor changes to match our style of camping so looking forward to see it come together and get out this year still. Similar sentiment with tired with climbing off the ground for late night visits to the nearest tree. Have you noticed any balance issues when not hitched to the Tow Vehicle? I wonder if we need a brace under the rear for climbing inside or has the tongue weight proved sufficient to keep it level?

Enjoy

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Hey Stuckincity mud, welcome to the club! If you look at a pic of the trailer from the side you’ll notice that the wheels set pretty far back on the trailer. Mark climbs in and out of the trailer all the time without any issues while building it. Nanc and I have a driveway that slants downward a couple of degrees. so whenever the trailer is unhitched I stick several boards under the front ”leg” to raise the nose up a bit. We have never had any issue with too much weight possibly lofting the rear end while unhitched. Hope this helps.

Can’t wait to see pics of your new baby!

Dale

any East Coast Owners or will I be the first? where is home?
Hey Stuckincity mud, welcome to the club! If you look at a pic of the trailer from the side you’ll notice that the wheels set pretty far back on the trailer. Mark climbs in and out of the trailer all the time without any issues while building it. Nanc and I have a driveway that slants downward a couple of degrees. so whenever the trailer is unhitched I stick several boards under the front ”leg” to raise the nose up a bit. We have never had any issue with too much weight possibly lofting the rear end while unhitched. Hope this helps.

Can’t wait to see pics of your new baby!

Dale
Thanks, That helps a bunch and moves it down the list of things to tackle when she comes home.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
We just got back from RMOR. What an incredible time! I'll get some pics up asap but first have to clean up the trailer, load pics and video up from my iPhone, and relax a bit.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
gWtv9UKmQNaMOBDJZYAWmg.jpg

Did all three this year, two of them with Nanc. Think we'll be giving it a rest for awhile. Starting to think of a 4-6 week trip to Alaska next year instead of Baja this winter....

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
aPd6TUE9Q46mrwV4AFnKRw.jpg

Stealth mode. Actually, from one of our camping sites on the way down. Ririe, ID, just NE of Idaho Falls. The campsite was great but the local pizza shop nothing to write home about.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Ii7car95S9OFxKqBx52wDQ.jpg

Potential Alaska 2020 recruits, Debbie and her pups, Nanc, me, Terri & David, and Ace. BTW, Ace didn't stand too close to the fire and burn all the feathers off his indian headress. Those are tepi poles from a tent behind him. :p ROFs have all the fun! BTW, I think it rained at least once a day in Gunnison. I really liked this place for an overland rally though. Don't tell Ray and Marianne but I would love to see it stay this small.

Last edited:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Thinking about a week or less trip to the St Joe or Kelly Creek for a last shot at fly fishing this September. Or maybe over to the Cascades one more time. Then later maybe another trip to SE Utah searching for Anasazi ruins in the slot canyons. The trailer is perfect for this coming cooler fall weather. We've never had a propane heater before and now wonder how we did without for so long.IMG_2084.JPG

Here is my hiking buddy Kent checking out some Anasazi ruins near Cedar Ridge.

IMG_2474.JPG

I believe this shot is of Icicle Creek near Leavenworth, WA.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
One of the fun things we experienced at RMOR was the fly fishing class. Here is the instructor, Steve, helping Nanc perfect her cast. Steve is a real gentleman. He spent lots of time with Nanc, patiently helping her work on casting, reading the water, and having fun. He also took a lot of pics and wrote an article for Expo Portal. Thanks for everything Steve!

Steve-&-Nanc-fishing.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94