MIssion Overland Trailer Owners page

potfish

Does anyone have a handy cheat sheet showing the differences between model years? I am in the market for a Summit. I usually prefer to buy everything used, but the price is never the full story. From reading this thread (not all 93 pages yet though, sorry) it seems like the upgrades may be significant (beefier frame etc.). It's hard to know what happened when, though.
Thanks

Does anyone have a handy cheat sheet showing the differences between model years? I am in the market for a Summit. I usually prefer to buy everything used, but the price is never the full story. From reading this thread (not all 93 pages yet though, sorry) it seems like the upgrades may be significant (beefier frame etc.). It's hard to know what happened when, though.
Thanks

I doubt anyone knows for sure. Changes seem to be ongoing trailer to trailer.

potfish

I also want to know what people are doing for bikes. Both of these solutions look good but add the weight to the tongue which is a bit of a concern. I've found sales blurb saying trailer weight 2250lb and tongue weight "225lb plus cargo" whatever that means, but post 956 earlier in this thread measured it at just under 350lb without food in the fridge which seems already verging on too high for a trailer of this weight (and is my towing vehicle's max, too).

Does anyone have real world measurements of their trailer and tongue weights? I would definitely be trying the 1-up on the fridge box, if I can. I already have the hitch mount version of the bike rack and I think it can be modified quite easily to box mount.

potfish

Earlier in this thread posts #503, 505, talk about bike racks. I don't know if anyone ever followed through. I'll update this post if I find anything.

Still looking for any real trailer weight and tongue weight measurements.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Earlier in this thread posts #503, 505, talk about bike racks. I don't know if anyone ever followed through. I'll update this post if I find anything.

Still looking for any real trailer weight and tongue weight measurements.

From the website:

• CARGO CAPACITY: 1250 LBS
  • UNLOADED VEHICLE WEIGHT: 2250 LBS
There is no tongue weight mentioned but that depends on what a owner has the front of the trailer configured.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Getting ready for the Texas Fall Outdoor Expo .
Added a roof attic for soft items like jackets, hats, gloves etc.

20210926_181546.jpg20210926_165204.jpg20210926_165158.jpg

potfish

From the website:
  • CARGO CAPACITY: 1250 LBS
  • UNLOADED VEHICLE WEIGHT: 2250 LBS
There is no tongue weight mentioned but that depends on what a owner has the front of the trailer configured.

Exactly what I was asking for.

It seems to be common wisdom that the tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of the trailer's weight. We know that it's 10% when the trailer's unloaded, as mentioned above from one of the dealers: trailer weight 2250 lbs and again that quote "225lb plus cargo".

What I have no concept of, is how much the balance is going to change as you load it up. For some of the weight it'll be the same for everyone - the water tank doesn't move (but is it forward, aft or inline with the wheels?) - and then everyone will have their own personal stuff. Do people tend to add more of their personal load forward or aft? Does the 2250 include the fridge and batteries which are well forward?

It could be easy to exceed the 350 lbs tongue weight rating even with a trailer weight well under the same towing vehicle's 3500 lbs rating, even before you start talking about adding 80-100 lbs of bikes and bike rack over the fridge box as was being discussed a couple of posts up the thread.

So I know it's different for everyone but I was just hoping someone knows their weights and can offer some data points, that's all.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Exactly what I was asking for.

It seems to be common wisdom that the tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of the trailer's weight. We know that it's 10% when the trailer's unloaded, as mentioned above from one of the dealers: trailer weight 2250 lbs and again that quote "225lb plus cargo".

What I have no concept of, is how much the balance is going to change as you load it up. For some of the weight it'll be the same for everyone - the water tank doesn't move (but is it forward, aft or inline with the wheels?) - and then everyone will have their own personal stuff. Do people tend to add more of their personal load forward or aft? Does the 2250 include the fridge and batteries which are well forward?

It could be easy to exceed the 350 lbs tongue weight rating even with a trailer weight well under the same towing vehicle's 3500 lbs rating, even before you start talking about adding 80-100 lbs of bikes and bike rack over the fridge box as was being discussed a couple of posts up the thread.

So I know it's different for everyone but I was just hoping someone knows their weights and can offer some data points, that's all.

You want more tongue weight than not .

potfish

Right now, I have an on-road vehicle rated 350/3500. Upgrading the tow vehicle and going off road is supposed be step 2, later.

I have seen those videos and read other threads. I am comfortable trying it out if the numbers are within spec minus my comfort margin, and the tongue is 10-15%.

What I was asking for was if anyone had data points to help me decide what I choose to do. I know that your statement was well meaning, and you have a lot of experience with these trailers that I have enjoyed and found very valuable reading about in this thread. As such I value your opinion but I still wanted to know the numbers so I can make my own decisions.

It was your own number in post 956 that alarmed me, but I have since found another post of yours saying your weight is 3300 and that fridge, batteries etc. are not included in the 2250. So those numbers all do make sense together and you are probably right that my vehicle is not really up to the job. Maybe OK by the numbers depending on options but almost zero comfort margin. I will need to rethink.

For the purposes of the above discussion about bike racks, though, if let’s say Mike’s trailer is “typically” loaded at 350/3300, then you’d have no problems adding a couple of bikes plus rack to the tongue and still be well within the 10-15% tongue weight.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Since you won't share what kind of vehicle you have the discussion is just theoretical rather than a solution based discussion.

potfish

I didn't mean to be secretive. It's a 2019 Chrysler Pacifica with factory tow package, so it's actually 360/3600 rather than 350/3500. Front wheel drive, which I guess is pretty pertinent. Just for full disclosure my plan was an on-road road trip out west for a few weeks next summer for our family of 3 (two adults and one 7 year old) but I am focusing on off-road capable trailers for future adventures and generally not being a piece of junk that will fall apart in no time. There aren't many options when you have restrictions on trailer and tongue weight, sleeping 3, being rugged, and available to buy before next summer... I thought the Summit was OK but now I am having to rethink.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior