MIssion Overland Trailer Owners page

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Having a place to hang out when the weather is bad was critical for me and what brought me to Mark.

When I realized it had a plywood floor, I wasn't the happiest, speaking of that.

A.

What kind of floor were you expecting ?

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I don't have a plywood floor. I didn't realize that anyone did. That is truly news to me.

Pnwfullsize

Sorry I missed that. What dealer did you go to ? Did you let Mark at Mission Overland know about the trailer?

It was at Big Sky. I did not let him know, doesn't seem like my place to do so.

What kind of floor were you expecting ?

Im not sure what other wood free manufacturers are using, but Boreas uses a Honeycomb aluminum.

I don't have a plywood floor. I didn't realize that anyone did. That is truly news to me.

Are you sure? What is your floor made of? Seems unlikely to build the first one out of something else then switch to plywood.

One of the missions I looked at appeared to be a Plywood floor with spray foam insulation on the bottom, nothing covering the insulation from the elements.

Daisy22

It was at Big Sky. I did not let him know, doesn't seem like my place to do so.

Im not sure what other wood free manufacturers are using, but Boreas uses a Honeycomb aluminum.

Are you sure? What is your floor made of? Seems unlikely to build the first one out of something else then switch to plywood.

One of the missions I looked at appeared to be a Plywood floor with spray foam insulation on the bottom, nothing covering the insulation from the elements.
My understanding is the floor is a layer of marine grade baltic birch. Yes some wood but then sprayed insulation, water tank and I have a full aluminum skid plate. Based on the framing of the trailer and base I am good with this because everything else has no wood and the wood there is is protected. Mine is sealed really well.

Pnwfullsize

My understanding is the floor is a layer of marine grade baltic birch. Yes some wood but then sprayed insulation, water tank and I have a full aluminum skid plate. Based on the framing of the trailer and base I am good with this because everything else has no wood and the wood there is is protected. Mine is sealed really well.

Glad to see he added the aluminum skin. The one i saw without it blew my mind. And yes marine grade birch is very typical in the RV world and will likely last as long as you need it. Properly sealed of course.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Glad to see he added the aluminum skin. The one i saw without it blew my mind. And yes marine grade birch is very typical in the RV world and will likely last as long as you need it. Properly sealed of course.
For those of you who don't know, Mark created the Off Grid series of trailers before moving on to starting up Mission Overland. That is why there are so many structural similarities. I'm sure Off Grid has continued to upgrade their models in the two or so years that Mark has not been associated with them. Overland Journal reviewed one of the Off Grid models. If I remember correctly, Scott Brady selected it as his favorite in the group. Scott commented about the uncovered sprayed on insulation under the trailer. My original trailer has the bottom covered with a synthetic lightweight honeycomb type material. Mark changed to the aluminum skin approach.

My flooring looks like a synthetic, non-wood material with a wood-like appearance. Similar to that used in home flooring. Well sealed. I've never had any issue with it warping, wearing, etc. For those of you with these issues, have you flooded the interior somehow? Too deep a water crossing? I don't think this trailer was designed to be a waterproof or a boat. I've never had it in more than a couple inches of water so really am not an expert on this issue.

Pnwfullsize

For those of you who don't know, Mark created the Off Grid series of trailers before moving on to starting up Mission Overland. That is why there are so many structural similarities. I'm sure Off Grid has continued to upgrade their models in the two or so years that Mark has not been associated with them. Overland Journal reviewed one of the Off Grid models. If I remember correctly, Scott Brady selected it as his favorite in the group. Scott commented about the uncovered sprayed on insulation under the trailer. My original trailer has the bottom covered with a synthetic lightweight honeycomb type material. Mark changed to the aluminum skin approach.

My flooring looks like a synthetic, non-wood material with a wood-like appearance. Similar to that used in home flooring. Well sealed. I've never had any issue with it warping, wearing, etc. For those of you with these issues, have you flooded the interior somehow? Too deep a water crossing? I don't think this trailer was designed to be a waterproof or a boat. I've never had it in more than a couple inches of water so really am not an expert on this issue.

I believe what you're referring to is the interior flooring, not the floor structure. It is likely a plywood floor with that laminate on top for looks

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer

I had a crossing that looked like it went up to the bottom of the kitchen a drawer but
I didn't get any water inside the compartment.
Granted it was a short border crossing I posted a video of it earlier.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I weighed the trailer tongue and it came out to be just under 350 lb. That is without food in the fridge.

I used a Curt Better weigh .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200927-151037.png
    Screenshot_20200927-151037.png
    726.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20200927_122608_01.jpg
    IMG_20200927_122608_01.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 42

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I do have a plywood floor; marine grade birch to be exact. Called Mark to confirm that.

Nanc and I just got back from a quick three day/two night trip up the St Joe River. Short sunny days and cold damp nights. Will try to get some pics and a bit of a story up in the morning. Going to bed for now.

I did speak with Mark a bit before going as mentioned above. I believe h said that he has now sold over 50 Mission Overlands! That is since I picked mine up in May, 2019.

IMG_1707.JPG

Last edited:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
BTW, my BFG KO2's sure throw up a LOT of gravel unto the fenders of the trailer. Anyone have any good suggestions for rear mudflaps for on a 5th gen 4Runner?

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I wanted to get out for a quick trip before snowfall and long dark days. Nanc, two friends, and I put together a quick trip up to the end of the road along the St Joe river. For this time of the year the weather was perfect; cool sunny days and crisp, cold nights. We took two vehicles and met midway where we stopped for a quick lunch along the river. The remaining drive that first day was paralleling the St Joe til we hit the end of the road and wilderness. Surprisingly, there were a relatively lot of campers in the USFS sites. A close look at them revealed that the majority were fly fishers getting their last chances on the river too. Once in camp and set up, Kent and I took the dogs for a nice hike while the ladies stayed in camp. We both brought a lot of firewood so as soon as it looked a wee bit dark along the western ridgeline a nice campfire was started. It was delightful!

The second day was pretty much spent doing short hikes, lounging about camp reading, and playing cards until it was so dark we could no longer see them. Everyone chipped in for cooking and no one went to sleep hungry. Kent brought some very fine Japanese bourbon which he shared. I'll have to get some of that stuff! Kent and Marie even brought along a birthday cake so we could belatedly celebrate Nanc's 39th anniversary of her 29th birthday!

Nanc had Zoom meeting set up for the evening of our third day, so in the morning after a bloated breakfast everyone started packing up. This area has numerous USFS and county roads winding through the mountains. So we took a wonderfully meandering route to St Regis, MT. After lunch of a chocolate malt and cheeseburger (thank you civilization!) Nanc and I hit the interstate and were home in a couple of hours.

Our friends are considering a month-long trip to the southwest sometime this winter to flee the snow. We just may join them!

Dusty & Beastie 2 9-20.jpgCampfire St Joe 9-20.jpgMisty Road St Joe 9-20.jpgNanc on Rock St Joe 9-20.jpgNarrow Bridge St Joe 9-20.jpg

Last edited:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Kent just sent me this pic. Not the clearest, but one can see how much fun we were having. Nanc with her wine and me with the Japanese bourbon. It was well below 40 deg. when this picture was taken.

04BB040B-C599-4E11-AC8D-DA6B14B67E6B.jpeg

Attachments

• 2968ACD5-5224-49BD-997B-D0BF5DEF9A94.jpeg
    2968ACD5-5224-49BD-997B-D0BF5DEF9A94.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz