MIssion Overland Trailer Owners page

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The rear door. The faucet after a days driving.

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 136
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 134
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 130

ITTOG

Those latches are not compression-type, so no way they will keep the door sealed.
Not sure I have ever heard compression discussed with a door handle. Do you have an example of what you are talking about?

The rear door. The faucet after a days driving.
How are the gas struts attached to the trailer and door? Could they be causing gaps?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The door is warped.only latches on one side.
It needs to be replaced by the Chinese virus is preventing travel to Canada.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Not sure I have ever heard compression discussed with a door handle. Do you have an example of what you are talking about?

How are the gas struts attached to the trailer and door? Could they be causing gaps?

The door is warped . The P/S does not even latch

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
After a couple of cool rainy nights I have to say the trailer is nicely insulated . Temps inside the trailer were usually about 10 degrees warmer than the outside temps.

The Darche 270 awning is great in the rain. Unlike other awnings the guy lines create channels for water to drain and not pool.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Nanc and I went out on a quick trip with some friends. We planned for four nights, but ended up coming back after only two. The temp hit the high 90's and our dog was really suffering.

I am now experiencing the rapid battery voltage drop issue mentioned by several of you earlier. Obviously the higher temps cause the Dometic 65 L frig to run much more frequently. We were camped in a heavily wooded area. I tried chasing the sun with my 180 watts solar panel. When any amount of light hit it, I saw some charging occuring. In direct sunlight it was hitting better than 13.4 volts. but the batteries just kept pumping out more amps than the panel could provide. I eventually had to start the car several times; this provided 13.8+ v, but again no improvement long term via the batteries. The trailer battery charge finally dropped so low that the Dometic shut down automatically. this was approximately 11.0 v. I let this happen just to see how low it would go.

So I will be reviewing everything written so far here concerning this issue. I'm not that up on charging so will have to figure out what to do. As an aside, my alternator is an aftermarket 270 amp unit. After a quick 40 minute drive back home the trailer batteries were up to 12.5 v. That seems to be their base level for car charging. I think that the problem lies in that they do no carry enough amps for even a two night camp in hot temps. I never had this issue when camping at lower daylight temps.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
USFS Pioneer Park campground, near Newport, WA. About a dozen campsites, some heavily sloped. Like our previous experience last week at a different more remote campground, the first night was great, the second night, a Tuesday this time, saw the campground fill to overflowing. Everyone is fleeing the cities it seems. With the Pend O'Reille river a few hundred feet away who can blame them? Next time we'll really head out into the bush.

Pioneer Park camp setup.jpg

I agree with Mike; the Darche awning works very well. We've used it both for shade and rain cover. I've had the sides up and they really help in inclement weather. In general, we are very pleased with this setup. Our hot water systems provides near instantaneous HOT water into the sink and shower. We love the stove arrangement. Even with the dog sneaking into bed between us, we sleep incredibly well. So Beastie is treating us well!

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Nanc and I went out on a quick trip with some friends. We planned for four nights, but ended up coming back after only two. The temp hit the high 90's and our dog was really suffering.

I am now experiencing the rapid battery voltage drop issue mentioned by several of you earlier. Obviously the higher temps cause the Dometic 65 L frig to run much more frequently. We were camped in a heavily wooded area. I tried chasing the sun with my 180 watts solar panel. When any amount of light hit it, I saw some charging occuring. In direct sunlight it was hitting better than 13.4 volts. but the batteries just kept pumping out more amps than the panel could provide. I eventually had to start the car several times; this provided 13.8+ v, but again no improvement long term via the batteries. The trailer battery charge finally dropped so low that the Dometic shut down automatically. this was approximately 11.0 v. I let this happen just to see how low it would go.

So I will be reviewing everything written so far here concerning this issue. I'm not that up on charging so will have to figure out what to do. As an aside, my alternator is an aftermarket 270 amp unit. After a quick 40 minute drive back home the trailer batteries were up to 12.5 v. That seems to be their base level for car charging. I think that the problem lies in that they do no carry enough amps for even a two night camp in hot temps. I never had this issue when camping at lower daylight temps.

I've noticed a major disadvantage of fixed solar panels is the need to be able to be parked in the sun and not the shade.

Of course that desire is to park in the shade but interferes with the efficiency of the panels.
You using a Redarc battery manager system? Have you had your battery tested maybe it's getting old.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Last night with no heater. The trailer has some good insulation.

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_063039640.jpg
    IMG_20200731_063039640.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
In typical WU7X fashion I waited for the hottest day of the year to finish the jerry can install. The Front Runner mount is a pretty nice piece of kit. I used a bit more than one can of Rustoleum rattle can paint to do the two jerry cans. I also installed the new gaskets. I'm very happy with the results. Now to get an extension for my syphon tube. If I limit myself to 4.5 gal/can I'll be able to leave them sitting on the box and syphon my fuel directly into the 4Runner's gas tank. No more attempting to hold a jerry can higher than the fuel point while spilling gas all over the place. As Mike pointed out earlier, this does add some weight to the hitch point. I'm assuming approx. 8 lbs/gal of gas X 9 gal = ~72 lbs, plus the small weight increase from the Front Runner mount itself.

Mounted Jerry Cans Front New.jpgMounted Jerry Cans.jpgNew mounted Jerry Cans.jpg

I have approximately 36" from the inner side of the jerry can mount to the passenger side edge of the storage box. I ordered five 24" airtracks which will be installed on 6" intervals over that area. I am thinking of using that space for hauling fire wood, or perhaps a couple Front Runner boxes to hold our cook kit. I'll wait until its a bit cooler before tackling that though. ?

Last edited:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Mike, how do you like your Alu-Boxes? How much weight do you carry in the one on the trailer's front storage box? Also, how is that extension to your trailer hitch working?

dale

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94