Missing motorcyclist

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Just came across this on ADVenture Rider (cross posted from Pashnit of which I am not a member) and the only thing I can do to help is cross post to Expo. I really hope this turns out to be nothing more than a guy wanting to ride and he's ok, but family says he's "missing" and thats enough for me.

He was riding a black 2008 Goldwing, Colorado Plate #327-UTH.

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donald Masters left Orofino, ID, Monday, August 31, headed for West Yellowstone and then on to Denver. He has not been seen or heard from since. We have reason to believe he may have gone missing Monday (he was due into Denver Wednesday). He was riding a black 2008 Goldwing, Colorado Plate #327-UTH.

If you are riding Lolo Pass, or anywhere between Missoula and W. Yellowstone, please be on the lookout for Donald and his bike. He's 62 years old, weighs about 175 and is about 5'9" tall. His bike would have been loaded with a fair amount of gear as he was on a 2+ week trip. If you have seen him or have information about him or his bike, please call the Clearwater County (ID) Sheriff's Department at (208) 476-4521.

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24013

edit: ST owners have called for a search. http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72221

Last edited:

proto

Adventurer
I've got to say how impressed I am at the way this is progressing! Word got out quickly to a broad audience, volunteers have pitched in, and sharing the SPOT map is a great idea!

The big thing in his favor is he has people watching out for him. A strong advocate for rescue -- someone who coordinates efforts, shares out information, and keeps on top of local authorities, makes a big difference. Let's hope this turns out well.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Ditto. Quite impressive.

Today we rode forest service roads on the dual sports for about 5 hrs. 5 of us. The pace picked up as the day went on. Often times we are within only a couple feet of a 20-100 ft drop off. Its always on my mind how easily one of us could go off the edge.

Its very worrying thinking about a missing, solo Gold Wing, loaded, on mountain twistys.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
T.Low,
I appreciate the info and updates. I'm now checking the FB, ST and Pashnit pages regularly. I hope he is found safe and sound.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
thumbup.gif

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Why can't I be independently wealthy so I can take the time and load my bike on the back of the van and go join in the search.
Bump.

I'm suprised there aren't any posts of Expo members living/travelling near the route and joining in. it must be a much more desolate area than I realize.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Why can't I be independently wealthy so I can take the time and load my bike on the back of the van and go join in the search.
Bump.

I'm suprised there aren't any posts of Expo members living/travelling near the route and joining in. it must be a much more desolate area than I realize.

I can't imagine the stress his family is feeling...:(

kerry

Expedition Leader
I hope he is found. It could be like the incident in Poudre Canyon this summer. Biker went down on a curve, under the guardrail and into the river. I think someone saw it happen. Bike was found in the river but it took quite a few days or weeks until the body surfaced. If the accident hadn't been witnessed and the bike ended up in a deep pool, it would have been very hard to figure out what happened to that rider.

HarryT

Adventurer
Donald Masters is still missing. This is almost a Steve Fossett story. There has been and are hundreds of people looking for the lost motorcyclist. Hope they find him, soon.

off.track

Adventurer
Rip

It is with a heavy heart that I bring you the news.

Donald Masters has been found at a crash site on Rt 93 around mile marker 322.1 between North Fork, ID and Salmon, ID

Donald and his bike were spotted by Elk hunters that were out tracking a buck. There was about 150' of shoulder and then a steep drop off into a drainage irrigation ditch. The are was covered in thick brush. He was wearing his helmet.

Out of respect to the family and loved ones we will be closing this thread and creating a Memorial Page to Donald where you can share some kinds words with everyone.

My thoughts and Prayers are with the family.

Rest in Peace Donald Masters.
Larry Jensen
on behalf of the Motorcycle Community
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=823183&postcount=203

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94