Missed out on an LR3, now I have the bug. LR3 vs. LR4

Model97

The LR4 is a luxury sports car. However, the higher-end LR4 will add heated second-row and third-row seats, GPS navigation, memory for driver settings, front parking sensors, a cooled storage compartment, and power-controlled and heated steering. steering wheel and advanced surround sound system with 17 speakers.
My 08 3 has most all of this as well.

kh406

I’ve been considering selling mine again (I keep going back and forth) pm me if interested

b884caf4b244c43843a696f55785b20a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Still considering selling it???

kh406

I've had both. I like the 3 better.

Care to elaborate?

I'm currently debating between an 05 LR3 HSE HD, an 06 LR3 SE (but with all the HSE "upgrades" minus navigation screen) and two 2012 LR4s both of which have had complete timing chain tensioners fixed – all of which have been immaculately maintained.

The the LR3s are around $10k and the LR4s around $19k - really waffling on going more rugged interior and cheaper cost of entry, vs more updated interior with cold weather packages but basically double the cost of entry for my first LR.

Ke2427

I've owned 3 x LR3 and a LR4. Currently I'm in a D5 and my son a 2008 LR3.

Also owned defenders, range rovers in both the UK and USA and my personal favorite is the US 4.4 LR3. Work through some suspension sensor and compressor issues and as long as serviced and maintain they are solid. I took my last LR3 from 63K to 198K with only basic consumable parts needing replacing

LR4. 5.0V8........beware, rework and replace timing chains, ALL COOLING HOSES AND RIGID PIPES, FRONT AND REAR. If that engine overheats it's done and NOT salvageable at a reasonable cost

If I could find a cica 40k LR3 I'd buy it just to have. The D5 has amazing road manners and is Very capable off road but.........I do love the LR3

XJLI

Adventurer
I love my D4 but I think if I had to do it again Id try and find a mint low mile D3. Won’t happen though, the price it would cost now wouldn’t be worth it.

The 5.0 needs a watchful eye, but it’s an awesome motor. The 4.4 is adequate.

gatorgrizz27

IMO, mileage is overrated on these things. Mine is an 08 and has 218k at this point, most of the parts failures are going to be age related or on 2x vs 3x replacement schedules (control arms, brake rotors, etc).

Mine has needed some work, but nothing related to the drivetrain other than engine accessories. I wouldn’t hesitate picking up an LR3 with 150k on it and just going through things.

I love the Jag engines and think they should have stuck with them, they are still “modern” in terms of feel and performance, especially the supercharged 4.2L, but I haven’t seen anybody successfully swap one into an LR3 or 4.

For some reason, Land Rover seems to be a fan of jumping ship to a new engine with a ton of issues, slowly resolving them, and as soon as it is sorted out they repeat the process.

Howski

As gator mentions, don’t overlook a higher mileage LR3 if it is well sorted and larger service items have been addressed, such as replacement of EAS components (as needed), lower control arms, transmission servicing (people forget about this one), etc. I’ve myself considered a lower mile LR4 but have stuck with my LR3 (165k miles) for those same reasons. Service items between the two are very similar outside of the timing chain and cooling system issues, both of which can be resolved however, with the LR4

M32H32IS

BalticBlueLR4
LR4 camp here for the interior comfort & convenience though I like the look of the LR3 more.

Extra power was necessary IMO

gmtech

Observer
reviving old thread. is there anything on a 4.4 LR3 that will leave you stranded somewhere that can be fixed/ updated ahead of time? or is it all stuff that just turns on warning lights/ suspension sags?

RoverFan

reviving old thread. is there anything on a 4.4 LR3 that will leave you stranded somewhere that can be fixed/ updated ahead of time? or is it all stuff that just turns on warning lights/ suspension sags?
The transmission valvebody and plastic cooling hoses.

The LR3 has a pretty ubiquitous trans, but they can have issues. Some in the know pick these up cheap and gamble that a failed VB hasn't caused more issues internally.

I guess it's a less common issue than the chain system on a 5.0, but it can be just as expensive to remedy or more. That was one big reason I went with the LR4 over the 3. Every part of the 4 is just noticeably better than a 3 in my opinion (interior, exterior, performance, etc.). The 3 has less big repairs in its pocket though, and if money is a factor they're cheaper. I'd take a high mileage 3 over a 4 if my budget didn't fit low mileage trucks (mid teens for 3s, low 20s for 4s). I have nothing against the LR3, I owned 3 before my first LR4, one of which had the HD package. The HD was an easy sand dune climber and nicer than its contemporary competitors. The 4.4 was just...adequate...though. It kind of felt like a stock 4.6 D2, and the power to weight ratio is similar. The way the 5.0 punches hard everywhere makes the LR4 actually fun to drive. The brakes are right there all the time and the suspension handles the weight incredibly well. I have always said I'd never consider a V6 LR4 because you could have a V8, but lower mileage V8s are older and harder to find. I imagine a V6 LR4 would be more fun than a LR3, but they're newer and more expensive.

The 4 does everything better when they're both working. The 3 is just more likely to be limping along.

gmtech

Observer
Thanks for the knowledge! Well lucky for me I'm the transmission guy at the Chevy dealership I work at. So valve body's are common replacement.... replaced one on a 22 C8 Corvette Wednesday!
are the body panels on these steel or aluminum? If you were buying one in. Midwest where would you look for rust and corrosion?

RoverFan

Thanks for the knowledge! Well lucky for me I'm the transmission guy at the Chevy dealership I work at. So valve body's are common replacement.... replaced one on a 22 C8 Corvette Wednesday!
are the body panels on these steel or aluminum? If you were buying one in. Midwest where would you look for rust and corrosion?
The LR3 has steel architecture with some aluminum panels. They can develop rust issues underneath, but I have never seen one with anything more than surface/light rust. I'm from the SE though. I bought my LR4, which is generally prone to same rust, out of Colorado. It had some surface rust, but was fine.

gabrielef

The transmission valvebody and plastic cooling hoses.

The LR3 has a pretty ubiquitous trans, but they can have issues. Some in the know pick these up cheap and gamble that a failed VB hasn't caused more issues internally.

I guess it's a less common issue than the chain system on a 5.0, but it can be just as expensive to remedy or more. That was one big reason I went with the LR4 over the 3. Every part of the 4 is just noticeably better than a 3 in my opinion (interior, exterior, performance, etc.). The 3 has less big repairs in its pocket though, and if money is a factor they're cheaper. I'd take a high mileage 3 over a 4 if my budget didn't fit low mileage trucks (mid teens for 3s, low 20s for 4s). I have nothing against the LR3, I owned 3 before my first LR4, one of which had the HD package. The HD was an easy sand dune climber and nicer than its contemporary competitors. The 4.4 was just...adequate...though. It kind of felt like a stock 4.6 D2, and the power to weight ratio is similar. The way the 5.0 punches hard everywhere makes the LR4 actually fun to drive. The brakes are right there all the time and the suspension handles the weight incredibly well. I have always said I'd never consider a V6 LR4 because you could have a V8, but lower mileage V8s are older and harder to find. I imagine a V6 LR4 would be more fun than a LR3, but they're newer and more expensive.

The 4 does everything better when they're both working. The 3 is just more likely to be limping along.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I own an ‘06 LR3 (312K miles w/ original engine), a ‘13 LR4 HD and a ‘16 LR4 HD. The ‘06 and ‘16 are my adventure rigs and for sure the LR4’s power is great compared to the LR3. But the only time I really care about power is if I’m towing. The LR3 sucks towing heavy loads over a long distance. The V8 LR4 doesn’t know it’s there haha. The nice thing about the SCV6, is you can tune it and change the SC upper and lower pulleys to give you 125 more HP vs the 340 stock.

The LR4’s comfort is amazing over the LR3 but the newer the LR4, the less cargo capacity you have. You go from about 1500 lbs of the LR3 to about just under 1200 lbs for the ‘16 LR4. Wua wuaaaaaa.

In the end, the SCV6 is a more complicated engine and therefore “more expensive” to maintain. The LR3’s cost of ownership is really low now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94