Missed out on an LR3, now I have the bug. LR3 vs. LR4

jamesauto24

The LR4 is a luxury sports car. However, the higher-end LR4 will add heated second-row and third-row seats, GPS navigation, memory for driver settings, front parking sensors, a cooled storage compartment, and power-controlled and heated steering. steering wheel and advanced surround sound system with 17 speakers.

NorthwestDriver

The LR4 is a luxury sports car. However, the higher-end LR4 will add heated second-row and third-row seats, GPS navigation, memory for driver settings, front parking sensors, a cooled storage compartment, and power-controlled and heated steering. steering wheel and advanced surround sound system with 17 speakers.

Many of those features are available in the LR3, though perhaps not to the finish of the 4. My PO retrofitted an RRS heated steering wheel to our LR3, and the vehicle came with rear heated seats, Nav, memory driver seats, power steering wheel from the factory. Some of these are standard, some were optional across all trims, and some required HSE or Luxury packages.

Carson G

I have most of that on my V6 LR3.

A.J.M

Explorer
What he described bar the heated steering wheel was a typical HSE spec D3.

A D4 is a D3 with most of the faults ironed out and a few new ones added for good measure.

I have zero experience of the V8 engines as they only sold for 2 years in the D3 before being dropped in 2006 and the V8 D4 never appeared here.

the cost difference between a 3 and a 4 buys a lot of maintenance work on a 3 to keep it good for years to come.

I have an early 3, it’s a fabulous car and has served me well. a good 3 is a brilliant car and a great base for a 3rd car to kit out.

If I was going for a 4, I would go for a last of the line V8 model with HD package in either HSE or HSE luxury spec and facelift it to look like the 4.5 with the nicer headlights and back lights then add from there.

MarcusBrody

Thanks for the info!

I will say that I live in Southern Nevada, so options like heated seats/steering wheels matter about as much to me as a working teletype. If the cooled storage compartment is well insulated, that could be nice though...

The guy I messaged about the LR4 didn't get back to me, so still on the hunt.

Eric K

Observer
I don't have much to say on the LR3 vs LR4 front, but I have had an LR3 for 6 years now and I love the thing. Make sure you have a maintenance history on anything you purchase and you will be good to go. It's a great platform.

js632

Not sure where you‘re located but this lr3 popped up on my facebook feed, only 52k original miles according to the description.

MarcusBrody

Not sure where you‘re located but this lr3 popped up on my facebook feed, only 52k original miles according to the description.

I'm in Nevada, so a bit far from me. Do folks think that super low miles (for the year) are an advantage on the these, or is it more beneficial to get one in the 100k range that has gone through the likely first round of issues (air suspension, etc.)?

In a couple of weeks I'm heading out on a long, round about cross country road trip, so I'll check those markers, though I'm not exactly sure what I'd do if I bought another vehicle mid-trip... Ha

I bought a 'vanilla' SE 05 LR3 with 146K mi last year. It had the list of options I wanted minus the HD ( V8 4.4, Tonga green, beige interior, 2 row, cold weather package). SE trim omits the info screen leaving a very useful storage shelf. Seller didn't have too many records, so had my own list of inspections and ran a function check. It's a midwest car, so lots of corrosion I plan to tackle this summer. Otherwise I'm finding that time has taken it's toll on the plastic and rubber parts (think bushes, boots, interior). Buying under $5K means I priotize and 'reset' different systems, and build up as I feel necessary over time- even added android auto.

If I had to do it again, I think I'd buy a southern or southwest car to avoid the rust. All else the same. I would budget now for the gapiid tool. These platforms will trigger a warning lamp to indicate the circuit to trigger the warning lamp threw a fault.20201026_184702.jpg

LR3 vs LR4- I like the interior of the LR3 more, has more that boxy utilitarian vibe. I also intentionally chose the 4.4 V8 as it appears to possibly be the most reliable modern LR powerplant. I guess the 5.0 is basically a bored out version the same block causing a new set of problems. As a built up rig I could see where the extra HP in the 4 would be nice on the highway at low rpm, especially if running larger tires. Offroad I barely need to use the low gear, so plenty of power at low speed.

Just my thoughts. So far I've added 13K mi and been across the US a few times. Love the platform. Good luck.

*service records are good keep asking for them- I took a risk, but was looking for a project during covid and operated under the assumption all things were old- diff fluids really really were- maybe I got lucky*

20210426_123749.jpg

Last edited:

emegmac

I have owned both. Lr4 is the better vehicle. interior comfort is excellent. my Lr3 was an 05. I bought it with 12k and sold it with 120k. Motor was great. Everything else not so much, thousands in repairs replacing everything that could possibly break including a new transmission, both diffs radiators etc. If you go LR3 go as new as possible. I lover Rovers but it really tested my loyalty. The later in the production run it seems like they got some things figured out and had way less problems. Now I have a 2012 Lr4 with 100k that has had the timing chain issue fixed. Besides that it has been excellent, 100k miles and never needs anything. Build quality just feels better. Both vehicles are awesome and don’t want to buybanyt else. I’ll be keeping my LR4 until it dies as I hate the new ones.

Last edited:

MarcusBrody

Thanks everyone! As I live in the desert SW, I'll definitely be looking in this area to hopefully find something that's rust free. After spending most of my life in the Northeast, the lack of rust is amazing.

I'm now about to head out for a 2 month meandering road trip to visit my parents in PA and brother in Maine via Portland, Oregon (clearly the most logical route). Having failed to snag anything immediately, I don't think I'll have time to get something before I leave, so I guess it's an August restart to the hunt (unless I stumble on something in my travels I guess). Optimistically I had hoped to grab something for the trip, but maybe by Fall the chip shortage will be resolved, the world will start to get over their COVID outdoor fascination, and used car prices will start to settle a bit. Though really I thought the LR3/4 was one of the lesser crazy ones in terms of value spikes.

eloist

Adventurer
We've had our LR3 for almost 6 years and around 60k miles. I love this truck. Actually, I hate this truck. No, no, I definitely love it. This is what owning a Rover is like.
It's extremely capable, and a great traveling vehicle, as well as towing vehicle. Things will break, count on it. But it's never too bad... Gets pricey maintaining the EAS. I can't bring myself to swap to coils, however. I just did my second compressor replacement in 6 years, for what it's worth.

I personally think the LR3 is better than the LR4 by a large margin. Just my opinion, however.

We also have a mildly built GX470.
I often struggle to decide which vehicle to take on a trip! (first world probs)

PXL_20210413_175447225.jpgPXL_20210413_175519645.jpgPXL_20210413_175543245.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles