Missed out on an LR3, now I have the bug. LR3 vs. LR4

MarcusBrody

I missed out on a great looking LR3 this weekend. I've been casually watching used vehicle ads with the intention of adding a "new" adventure mobile. I had just about given up given current used prices and resigned myself to just buying something new when a 2005 LR3 popped up on Friday. 93k, just had the compressor replaced at the LR dealer, and offered for $5500. The ad was a bit unclear though as it said that the things had been replaced, but the photos of the documentation seemed to show an estimate from that day. I texted to clarify, and by the time the seller got back to me, the truck was sold. I should have just left work to check it out and asked my questions then.

Anyway, now I really want an LR3. Or an LR4. I prefer more utilitarian vehicles so I had been mostly looking for LR3s, but now that LR4s are also depreciating a lot and the price differences aren't as big, I'm tempted to look at a newer vehicle. I could in theory afford either without problem (potential maintenance included), but the more expensive things get, the harder a time I have justifying this as an N+1 vehicle and the more likely I'd want to sell one of our current vehicles and get a new, more efficiently off road capable something.

So do people have feelings for the LR3/LR4 at this point? I dredged up some old threads, but a lot were from when the LR4 was either still in production or right after so they were at very different places on the depreciation curve. What would you choose to use as a non-daily driver for mostly desert exploration adventures? In the end, I might not have a huge amount of choice. I'm in the land of Range Rovers, but not too many LR3/4s.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I bought a LR3 with 96K on the speedo. Unfortunately the PO did not disclose some very important items that mechanical examination did not show till it stopped running. Just having the heads milled and reinstalled was $72K so my 9K LR was not that much of a dream.
Whatever you get, get the history and find out where it has been serviced and talk to them.
At this point I would not trade my reconditioned LR3 for another vehicle, I really like the platform and for the past two years it has performed well. I have more comfort items installed than I could ever get out of it financially and I will drive till it becomes an antique.

Carson G

I bought a LR3 with 96K on the speedo. Unfortunately the PO did not disclose some very important items that mechanical examination did not show till it stopped running. Just having the heads milled and reinstalled was $72K so my 9K LR was not that much of a dream.
Whatever you get, get the history and find out where it has been serviced and talk to them.
At this point I would not trade my reconditioned LR3 for another vehicle, I really like the platform and for the past two years it has performed well. I have more comfort items installed than I could ever get out of it financially and I will drive till it becomes an antique.
Did you just say it cost $72k to mill and reinstall the cylinder heads? That has to be a mistake.

garrycol

With all things being equal - go the LR4 - same basic vehicle as the LR3 but just further developed. Nicer interior with a little of the little things sorted.

NorthwestDriver

We went LR3.

The more utilitarian interior of the LR3 suited our intentions. Ours has the climate package so we got rear heated seats which was one the few things on our must-have list.

The drivetrain is normally aspirated and the 4.4L V8 is fairly robust, so I felt like this was the preferred engine for a vehicle which already had 100k+ miles that we want to take to 200k. We get pretty good mileage on ours, around 15mpg city and 20mpg Highway. I keep my foot out of it but also don’t cruise 5 over in the left lane. LR4 has more power (V8 375hp, SC V6 345hp) but I don’t feel like I’m missing anything with the 300hp of the LR3.

At least in our area and our desired spec sheet, LR4s were going to cost $10k or more beyond an LR3. I didn’t want anything with miles far beyond 100k, and I was looking for service records. Like you, this is an “extra” vehicle for us so I did not want to overburden our finances with a toy. Eventually I think we might sell off another vehicle and keep the Land Rover, but even if we don’t, I’m not worried. I will say having an extra vehicle has been handy when my spouse was gone for the weekend and I was rebuilding my truck’s cooling system. The third vehicle let me take a leisurely pace and make a couple runs for parts and takeout.

MarcusBrody

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Krick, I'm going to assume that you meant 7200 or you are a very determined but financially questionable guy.

I would say that LR4 prices average 10k more than LR3s where I'm at (Las Vegas) but there is a lot of variance. Dealers are still putting the newer ones up for high 20s at times, but I also see others at 4-5k more than LR3s. And like NorthwestDriver, I think the LR3 would suit my intentions more, but they seem to be getting harder to find without 150k+ miles.

I also like having a third vehicle, partially because it makes it much more possible for me to work on the vehicles we have as if it takes a few extra days and waiting for some parts to come in after I've taken something else out...well no real harm. My wife also can't drive a manual so if I take our van somewhere, she is carless as she can't drive my car. So many reasons to have an unnecessary third car, so I'll be keeping my eyes open and hoping for something to pop up, but if not, buying new to replace one of our current cars is an option.

Last edited:

rgallant

Adventurer
I have a D2, but we have several L3's and one regular LR4 that come out. Neither has had any issues, the one LR3 is largely stock other than tires, the LR4 is built bumper, roof rack etc. From what I have seen there is not much to difference in capability, and they both trundle along with a bunch of old school defenders etc.

Electronics would be my concern, they are fairly complex and that requires specific diagnostic equipment.

cannonball55

Adventurer
I’ve been considering selling mine again (I keep going back and forth) pm me if interested

b884caf4b244c43843a696f55785b20a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XJLI

Adventurer
The biggest difference when it comes down to blowing your wad on a repair is that the LR4 5.0 is a “one and done” motor. Overheat it, it’s toast. The water pumps and crossover pipes should be replaced every 70-90k according to the internet. Also, the timing chain failure is spoken about pretty often but seems to be not as big of a deal as long as oil changes are done frequently (not every 15k miles).

The 4.4 is arguably the most reliable motor ever used in a LR product, stateside as least. The power was adequate until I drove a LR4, the 75 extra ponies is a lot. The LR3 interior doesn’t wear as well either, from what I’ve seen.

It’ll be easier to find a 4 w lower miles in great shape, since 3 are 11 years old at the newest now.

MarcusBrody

The biggest difference when it comes down to blowing your wad on a repair is that the LR4 5.0 is a “one and done” motor. Overheat it, it’s toast. The water pumps and crossover pipes should be replaced every 70-90k according to the internet. Also, the timing chain failure is spoken about pretty often but seems to be not as big of a deal as long as oil changes are done frequently (not every 15k miles).

The 4.4 is arguably the most reliable motor ever used in a LR product, stateside as least. The power was adequate until I drove a LR4, the 75 extra ponies is a lot. The LR3 interior doesn’t wear as well either, from what I’ve seen.

It’ll be easier to find a 4 w lower miles in great shape, since 3 are 11 years old at the newest now.
This is the biggest difference of opinion I'm seeing when researching things. Some people talk about driving the 5.0 and not being able to go back, while others swear by the reliability of the 4.4.

The 3 I missed out on seemed to be in good condition, but looking for others and seeing apparently better condition 4s for not that much more was what sparked this thread.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Carson G,
Thanks for pointing that out. It was a mistake on the $72K, it was $7K through the local dealer. I still thought it was a lot, but without the work it was a paper weight sitting in my driveway.

XJLI

Adventurer
This is the biggest difference of opinion I'm seeing when researching things. Some people talk about driving the 5.0 and not being able to go back, while others swear by the reliability of the 4.4.

The 3 I missed out on seemed to be in good condition, but looking for others and seeing apparently better condition 4s for not that much more was what sparked this thread.

I wanted a 3 originally, because they were usually cheaper and for the 4.4’s “reliability.” I missed a couple low miles ones (didn’t want over 100k or anything from where rust is a thing) and ended up with the 4. I love it. I can see someone who wants a trail rig or third car wanted a 3. Don’t forget 18s come on the 3, and they’re extra coin to fit on the 4. Mine is my daily so all the extra “accoutrement” is appreciated.

MarcusBrody

The 18s vs 19s were one reason that I was thinking LR3, but there was an LR4 for a decent price up on the local Facebook Marketplace, so I messaged the seller about that. I'm really not wedded to either, though it's position as third car/trail rig initially made me think LR3, but as you note, good LR3s are getting harder to find. And if nothing comes up, I'll just wait and keep my eyes open for other options.

Edit: Though it does look like there are some fairly good options for 19in A/T tires, even if you'd be giving up a half inch of sidewall.

Last edited:

krick3tt

Adventurer
My 3 came with 19s. I bought 18s in black steel and am very happy with them. Duratrac seem to work for me.

Carson G

Carson G,
Thanks for pointing that out. It was a mistake on the $72K, it was $7K through the local dealer. I still thought it was a lot, but without the work it was a paper weight sitting in my driveway.
That’s actually not that bad, it was that much to do just the timing chains on my LR4 at a Indy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94