Minivan turned Camper Van

Aquathlete13

Observer
First post! I realize this may not be the most appropriate forum for posting this; however, I've been a long time lurker and wannabe and wanted to share the modifications we have begun while we decide on the best vehicle for us. Side note; you'd be amazed the roads you can take a minivan on. I'm stuck with the van until my kids are out of carseats; which luckily, should only be a few more years. Most overland campers, in my price range, do not account for safety of passengers riding in carseats. So, we are making do for the time being. I have slept in the back of my van many nights and the hurdle we had to jump was figuring a sleeping arrangement that allowed for the car seats to remain in place, as it's a giant pain to remove them every night. My husband came up with this design, and it works great for my two small kids and I. Two large drawer compartments under the sleeping platform allow for storage, and we will also be adding on a swing out platform for our stove.

Here are my questions. Thoughts on ventilation? Thoughts on adding an additional battery housed under the the sleeping platform for running lights/fan/perhaps a Dometic type cooler at night while parked.

IMG_20170613_090148_450.jpgIMG_20170613_090148_451 (1).jpg

oldnslow

Observer
Nice setup! I've always thought a minivan would make a great camper as long as you limit yourself to the nicer roads.

I've been on a few forest service roads that would be an issue for something like that, but most of them would not be a problem.

Also a minivan has 3 features that a lot of Jeeps are lacking - it can go down the highway straight on a windy day (mine can't), get good gas mileage, and you can sleep in it...

Aquathlete13

Observer
Nice setup! I've always thought a minivan would make a great camper as long as you limit yourself to the nicer roads.

I've been on a few forest service roads that would be an issue for something like that, but most of them would not be a problem.

Also a minivan has 3 features that a lot of Jeeps are lacking - it can go down the highway straight on a windy day (mine can't), get good gas mileage, and you can sleep in it...

Hey, Thanks! You'd be amazed where you can go with a van. I've done some pretty rough forest roads without too much trouble. However, it does have it's limits. For my needs though, this will work well, and get decent gas mileage with smooth driveability. It's not an ideal rig, but it certainly checks a lot of boxes. I'll keep this thread updated on outcomes.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Been thinking about doing something like this.

In use, do you find it awkward to have to remove everything from the 3rd-row well before being able to opening the drawers? Early in my learning, I stumbled upon the packing advice, "you don't want to move more than one thing to get to something else." That removed a lot of frustration for me.

If cracking the windows isn't enough (which for 3 people is possible), consider a car fan that is sold for pet ventilation. google "dog car window ventilation fan". Given the DIY nature of your build, consider a couple of 'quiet' computer fans. 80mm and 120mm are standard sizes and run on 12V. They have lips around the outer edges the would help mounting. I'd consider 'diamond' orientation. You can use a rheostat to keep the speed and noise down. The 80mm are about a third the cost and 2 would easily fit side by side and if you don't need that much air, one can be switched off.

Aquathlete13

Observer
Thanks! I was just beginning to look at computer fans; genius. We have a small battery that will be connected to a solar panel on the dash that should be able to charge during the day; and run a small fan at night. At least, in theory. We completely removed the 3rd row of seats so they are out of play. My plan is to only stack things high enough to fit under the drawers, or at least only have to move one tote to access the kitchen drawers. I agree, the less I need to move the better. We may still invest in a cartop carrier. However, lucky for me, my kids are small and don't mind their clothing stored under their feet (plus their clothes are small). In the mock set up I did; I only had to move one tote to open the kitchen drawers. I'm hoping I can maintain that streamlined efficiency; only time will tell. Thanks again!

thepinproject

Adventurer
Nice project! For the inside fan, a 12V Hella is worth considering (for us it was a life saver but we needed something for the Tropics).

Enjoy the outdoors.

ps: what about the typical external tube-shower in the roof?

Aquathlete13

Observer
More pictures of build

I used some old sheets to workout a plan for a pillowcase like cover for our foam mattress. I also used some outdoor patio fabric to cover the additional foam cut outs; I envisioned using those as extra padding for sleeping; or to use at camp to sit on, or the more likely use by my kids, pillow fights.

IMG_20170623_132459_684.jpg
IMG_20170623_132755_247.jpg

may pop

Nice job!!!!
Think of the memories the kids will have of the ADVENTURES they have been on. A small fridge helps keep the food fresh and every ones happier. Perhaps screens for the windows to let air in.
My kids (5) grew up camping, RVing, Jeeping and ADVENTURING and still do it to this day. We just returned from a week camping trip where 14 of the 15 of us went. This is what family is all about. Do the best you can its pretty hard to break the little guys and any trouble that does occur is a great story to tell at the next campfire.

Happy Adventures
Ron

Hummelator

Adventurer
you'd be amazed the roads you can take a minivan on.
It's funny you should say that. I had a friend once who had a mini van for his DD. It was a beater and he would take that thing up come crazy trails. I remember we were heading to a hike and there was a rocky trail to get up to the start of the trail. Think rocks the size of basket balls and bald tires. All you could hear was the engine running hard and BANG! BANG! BANG! And the sound of me laughing. I've never laughed that hard. I was worried he was going to knock the oil pan off but we made it to the top, back down and 250 km home. We were passing 4x4s that had parked to walk the rest of the way up because the trail was getting worse. I'll never forget that trip.
If you're motivated, and have a heavy foot, you can get nearly any vehicle where you want to go. Getting to the next place however is a different story...

Aquathlete13

Observer
It's funny you should say that. I had a friend once who had a mini van for his DD. It was a beater and he would take that thing up come crazy trails. I remember we were heading to a hike and there was a rocky trail to get up to the start of the trail. Think rocks the size of basket balls and bald tires. All you could hear was the engine running hard and BANG! BANG! BANG! And the sound of me laughing. I've never laughed that hard. I was worried he was going to knock the oil pan off but we made it to the top, back down and 250 km home. We were passing 4x4s that had parked to walk the rest of the way up because the trail was getting worse. I'll never forget that trip.
If you're motivated, and have a heavy foot, you can get nearly any vehicle where you want to go. Getting to the next place however is a different story...

Oh man. I just saw this. That's hilarious. And terrifying. So, I'm pretty brave with the gas pedal, but not as brave (or crazy) as your friend. LOL! What a story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles