Minimum EV Range Requirement for Touring Western U.S.

billiebob

Beside the cost that’s the perfect truck for me. I do wonder how reliable they’ll be- being a startup and all.
I agree, no idea on cost or reliability but they proved the concept and have disproved the range anxiety issues. I compare this EV to a 1970s 454 Chevy 3/4 ton vs a 2022 F150 with a twin turbo 3.5V6..... Give these guys 10 years..... and the ICE is dead.

Thank you Elon Musk.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I agree, no idea on cost or reliability but they proved the concept and have disproved the range anxiety issues. I compare this EV to a 1970s 454 Chevy 3/4 ton vs a 2022 F150 with a twin turbo 3.5V6..... Give these guys 10 years..... and the ICE is dead.

Thank you Elon Musk.
Elon is doing a lot- for whatever reason our .gov doesnt like his company.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole

Thank you Elon Musk.
Still waiting to see your EV...... talk is cheap!

Mr Bond

Also looking to go for an EV overlander, but towards the Fuso size. I know range will be an issue to start, but an electric drivetrain and the benefits it offers really interest me. Charging availability in Europe and North America is increasing fast, so plenty of destinations yo choose from. Batteries can always be upgraded later, and if I have to use a genset for long legs then so be it.

My chronic fatigue limits my driving time anyway, so stops to charge will be welcome!

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
While I'm pretty impressed with the Rivian in the series "Long Way Up" they're still not there for me. When I'm planning my trips I like to link as many back roads and trails together as possible. I have a 32 gallon gas tank with a typical range of around 250 miles before my "range anxiety" starts to kick in. lol That's about the same range as I understand most of these trucks when fully loaded would be as well. So that's not the problem for me.

My problem is I'm often refueling at very small towns that might only have one gas station to support a few hundred residents. You're not going to find one of those high speed charging stations in those towns for years, if ever. You might find a kind local to let you plug into their house system but now you'll need an entire day or night to fill up.

Even at those high speed charging stations it will still take over an hour to get close to topping off the batteries, and you still need some juice in camp right? I'm in and out of the typical gas station in 15 to 30 minutes depending on how friendly the locals are with information on my route and best place to eat, if any in town.

So for now I'm sticking with gas, or should I say I'm stuck with gas? And heck, I do like the sound of a V8 engine!

Zybane

I'm in the same boat as a lot here. I have a Rivian R1S on order, and also a Cybertruck. With wanting to off-road/overland pretty far into the wild, I just don't think they will work. Especially if it's cold out, and I want electricity use at the destination too.

I'm seriously thinking about doing a Gladiator Rubicon Diesel build instead (even though it has a frustratingly small fuel tank of 18 gal forcing me to get external tank(s). I'll still buy the Rivian and Cybertruck to either keep or sell, but I just don't see EV's being suited for overlanding quite yet. Hell today running my A/C for 6 hours in my Model Y parked in the shade used 16% of the battery pack.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
I'm in the same boat as a lot here. I have a Rivian R1S on order, and also a Cybertruck. With wanting to off-road/overland pretty far into the wild, I just don't think they will work. Especially if it's cold out, and I want electricity use at the destination too.

I'm seriously thinking about doing a Gladiator Rubicon Diesel build instead (even though it has a frustratingly small fuel tank of 18 gal forcing me to get external tank(s). I'll still buy the Rivian and Cybertruck to either keep or sell, but I just don't see EV's being suited for overlanding quite yet. Hell today running my A/C for 6 hours in my Model Y parked in the shade used 16% of the battery pack.

Have you seen the "Long Way Up" series? Pretty interesting, they have the first two Rivians made and put them to some harsh use. It's on Apple TV if you have that service. I'd be interested in you're thoughts if you've seen it. Thanks!

NMBruce

Adventurer
I like the idea of the Rivian. I believe I would like 400-500 mile range and a cost about $25k less, that’s my $0.02

I have a nice 2020 Tacoma and I can get from 12 mpg to 21mpg, depending on speed, winds and pulling my little trailer. I paid $38.9k for it, so the cost and lack of doing some trips I want because of range, make an EV unlikely.
The $30K+ that my Tacoma saved me over an EV off road covers a lot of fuel. That pays for fuel I can carry when off road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles