Minimum EV Range Requirement for Touring Western U.S.

D

Deleted member 144299

I have solar on my Square Drop roof. It powers refrigeration, cooking, boiling water. It uses ZERO fuel. The fridge has been at 35F for 3 months. The inverter powers the induction cooktop, microwave and kettle. The system is totally free standing. No connection to the vehicle but I know if the vehicle battery dies I can boost off the Square Drop battery.....

The naysayers are all idiots. EVs will change the world for the better.

On the lithium mining thing.... have you seen the TarSands in Alberta??? And lithium might be gone soon replaced by something better. On where can I charge, well gasoline stations were few and far apart 100 years ago too. On the we will crash the grid.... for the past 30 years our obsession with everything IT, laptops, GPS, smartphone, home automation, home air conditioning has increased our electrical consumption 10 fold from the 1970s.

The naysayers are idiots. We will evolve and meet the challenge. Heck even oil and gas are investing in sustainable electric energy. They could care less if we drive gas or electric cars. Either way they will be making a profit.

But honestly, just like how easy it is to power an overland camper to cook and refrigerate food with electricity and solar, driving an electric overlander will also be a positive change and the world, corporations, are online to deliver those vehicles plus the charging infrastructure.

I could care less about the political hype nor the fake news on both sides. I love my experiences with electricity. LED lighting sure beats the heck out of coal gas. The electric clothes washer wins hands down over the gasoline powered Maytag washing machine.

If you are worried about the dirty end of energy.... do not buy a property that once had a gas station on it. I have yet to see gas station property where the underground tanks did not leak.

Oh I am 100% with you but there is a cost to EVs just as there is to the food you eat, clothes you buy, etc... The greenest transportation is to walk or bike (I bike to work and for most errands) or take mass transit. The naysayers are mostly people reluctant to change their behavior in the slightest, even if it means causing harm to future generations.

D

Deleted member 144299

Can not wait to battle those things in the bike lane! One of my favorite quotes (I can't remember where I read it) goes, "You are not stuck in traffic, you are traffic." Maybe a tiny car like that would help with traffic issues if people used them instead of a full sized SUV/Truck just to get to work and back.

rruff

Explorer
Repurposing means smaller lanes, and restrictions on larger vehicles. When I'm on my bike I'd much rather tangle with a wee little car than a 6k lb pickup or SUV.

200-300 mpge, and a much smaller battery (you don't need long range), makes the environmental footprint tiny. Way more practical than bikes in all weather.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have solar on my Square Drop roof. It powers refrigeration, cooking, boiling water. It uses ZERO fuel. The fridge has been at 35F for 3 months. The inverter powers the induction cooktop, microwave and kettle. The system is totally free standing. No connection to the vehicle but I know if the vehicle battery dies I can boost off the Square Drop battery.....

The naysayers are all idiots. EVs will change the world for the better.

On the lithium mining thing.... have you seen the TarSands in Alberta??? And lithium might be gone soon replaced by something better. On where can I charge, well gasoline stations were few and far apart 100 years ago too. On the we will crash the grid.... for the past 30 years our obsession with everything IT, laptops, GPS, smartphone, home automation, home air conditioning has increased our electrical consumption 10 fold from the 1970s.

The naysayers are idiots. We will evolve and meet the challenge. Heck even oil and gas are investing in sustainable electric energy. They could care less if we drive gas or electric cars. Either way they will be making a profit.

But honestly, just like how easy it is to power an overland camper to cook and refrigerate food with electricity and solar, driving an electric overlander will also be a positive change and the world, corporations, are online to deliver those vehicles plus the charging infrastructure.

I could care less about the political hype nor the fake news on both sides. I love my experiences with electricity. LED lighting sure beats the heck out of coal gas. The electric clothes washer wins hands down over the gasoline powered Maytag washing machine.

If you are worried about the dirty end of energy.... do not buy a property that once had a gas station on it. I have yet to see gas station property where the underground tanks did not leak.
A buddy managed property for a major US fuel supplier. They actually don’t sell the property they have 1000’s of contaminated plots all over the US they are just sitting on. I bet many get capped ie sealed and setup as charging locations in the future.

Lithium by the way can be pulled from the ground much like water pumped up. Its actually being explored in CA as a win win solution for a dead lake in Socal desert..

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Short range tiny 1-2 person electric cars would have them all beat. Perfect for urban transportation. Need to repurpose roads to keep them from being roadkill, though...
Do they get exempted from crash standards too?

Repurposing means smaller lanes, and restrictions on larger vehicles . . .
You mean like fire trucks, ambulances, repair trucks?

rruff

Explorer
Do they get exempted from crash standards too?
You mean like fire trucks, ambulances, repair trucks?

That would be an option. Similar vehicles in the EU are exempt from crash standards. If they were in wide use, crash standards appropriate to the use case might be a good idea. The problem with small vehicles sharing roads that are dominated by large ones (like trucks and SUVs) is that size difference makes you roadkill in a head-on or side accident, and no amount of safety equipment can fix that. Against other small vehicles it's much easier to provide protection. Speeds will be less and mass much lower, so there is less energy to dissipate.

Large vehicles would be restricted to one lane (which would be two lanes for the small car) and right turns typically, and would not be allowed on some roads. Emergency vehicles would not typically be restricted, although making them smaller might be a good idea. How do emergency vehicles deal with traffic jams now?

I don't care if people want to drive a pow pow power wheels but I dont, so please stop pushing the idea on those of us that don't want it.
Electric vehicles are more past than future look up how far back their history goes and how little they've actually advanced. It's pretty sad.

Aside from that it seems alot of folks need to take a vacation from "overlanding" if you did it would save gas and likely save the trails that are getting torn up with all the traffic.

ABBB

Sick burn. Come up with that all by yourself?

His point, which is a good one, was that all you need to do put an end to your own suffering is unsubscribe from the thread or simply choose to put your attention elsewhere. Instead though, you derail the conversation and subject everyone here to your lamenting and unfounded criticisms of emerging technologies that for whatever personal reasons you feel attacked by and so therefore must attack back. On the off chance you have been truly attacked by an EV, that would at least have some adjacent pertinence here. What would be best though is that start your own thread, something to the tune of, ‘I Don’t Like EVs’, or ‘Anti-lander’s Anti- Gripe of the Day’. I’m sure you’d find more sympathetic interlocutors that way.

I see what's good for the goose isn't good for the gander. Even though you ev people openly attack my way of life and are making my ability to produce food and money very hard with all the regulations you push for on diesel vehicles through legislation, and you can't take a little ******** talk on the interwebs..

His point, which is a good one, was that all you need to do put an end to your own suffering is unsubscribe from the thread or simply choose to put your attention elsewhere. Instead though, you derail the conversation and subject everyone here to your lamenting and unfounded criticisms of emerging technologies that for whatever personal reasons you feel attacked by and so therefore must attack back. On the off chance you have been truly attacked by an EV, that would at least have some adjacent pertinence here. What would be best though is that start your own thread, something to the tune of, ‘I Don’t Like EVs’, or ‘Anti-lander’s Anti- Gripe of the Day’. I’m sure you’d find more sympathetic interlocutors that way.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Did the Russian morph into a new contributor?

Combustion power isn’t going anywhere except where it’s needed. I grew up running cattle, doing some alfalfa, and some other field crops. EV’s aren’t a threat to that life. The current bonkers literally crazy town engineered miss information climate of our leadership selection process is the biggest threat.

Do you guys remember those history time lines in our school books? Bronze Age, Iron Age, age of Sail etc. More modern age “Information Age” “Communication Age”our current times will go down as the “Misinformation Age” -> where large numbers of a population are influenced by basic news sources and “influencers” to do things like sow chaos, vote for criminals, attack their own country/home, or attack other countries for personal gain of a few wealthy fat cats etc.

The EV thing is near perfect type of transportation needs for 98% of the world’s population. If anything that means internal combustion powered machines will make it much much farther into the future simply due to resource availability.
Electric powered vehicles and / or hybrid vehicles will replace 98% of the typical passenger vehicles that exist today. A pickup in todays world is a hybrid passenger vehicle more people drive them to move people than stuff. 90-100 yrs ago trucks were strictly used for hauling stuff they were lousy vehicles for moving people. Hell even in the 80’s all the farmers and cattle guys had a car they used when not dragging around farm equipment and hauling feed.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Even with some of these truly disappointing EV range estimates for off-roading use, it seems the EV’s will still be able to beat the heck out of the shockingly low 5 mpgs a Motortrend driver got pushing the heavy, huge 700+ HP TRX Dodge 4x4 gasser up some hilly terrain in this workout:

“MotorTrend did make the 2021 Ram 1500 TRX its Truck of the Year. Still, even back then, the team was critical of this pickup’s fuel economy. On the sticker, the TRX has an EPA rating of 10 mpg in the city, 14 mpg on the highway, and 12 mpg combined. None of those rates are particularly impressive, considering the price hikes in gas since 2021. However, it gets worse. In this recent trek, the 2021 Ram 1500 TRX went on a canyon-carving adventure. MotorTrend took it for a 27-mile spin, all uphill, to see how it would handle. When the truck returned, the digital dash display showed a reading of 5 mpg, which, as the team declared, “is absurd.”

When you really think about achieving less than 15 mpg in any driving scenario, it’s mind-boggling to realize how close you’ll need to live near a gas station. So, any off-roading adventure that lasts longer than MT’s 27-mile hike might require you to bring gas along with you.” ?

Last edited:

3laine

I see what's good for the goose isn't good for the gander. Even though you ev people openly attack my way of life and are making my ability to produce food and money very hard with all the regulations you push for on diesel vehicles through legislation, and you can't take a little ******** talk on the interwebs..

Oops, you accidentally posted this in a thread about "minimum EV range requirement" instead of the thread where all of us "EV people" are pushing regulations on diesel vehicles and attacking your way of life!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier