Minimum Equipment List JKU

jourdan

In the aviation world, we operate off MELs (minimum equipment lists) that dictate whether we are safe to dispatch, or not. I'm about to pick up my first wrangler tomorrow morning from forum member Ken, and would like to assemble an MEL for it with your help (I owned a stock '99 XJ prior). An MEL is distinguishable from a toolkit in that no superfluous items (such as irrelevant socket sizes) take up size and weight.

As suggestions come in on this thread, I will organize them on this google doc, which will be viewable for all forum members:

To make it easier for newbies like me, please indicate whether your suggestion is common (80%) or edge-case (20%). Common would live in the jeep, edge case would travel with the jeep on extended adventures away from civilization/support. Please think about tools, fluids, parts (with part numbers), and your favorite containers for the above. If there are standardized kits (this one gets a lot of love) which could contribute to the above, please mention those as well.

If it is helpful, here is the complement of modifications on my future JKU, I believe it will be a familiar setup to most of you:

2013 Wrangler Sport Unlimited, 58,600 miles, Automatic transmission
Warn Front Bumper
Engo 10K winch
ARB Air Lockers front and rear
ARB Twin Compressor
SPod
AEV Snorkel
AEV rear tire carrier with fuel tank
Q-Tec Wheels with LT285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak ATW3 tires
Old Man Emu 2.5” lfit.
MRBP Roof Rack and basket.

Thank you in advance for your help - this community has already been a huge boon as I dive into the deep end here.

Best,
-J

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I'd say your Jeep is pretty well loaded. As soon as you put four passengers in it you'll be up to GVWR. I would suggest a good recovery kit, a full size shovel, jumper cables or a jump starter and a good communication device like a cell phone and maybe an inreach or something like that. As long as your jeep doesn't leak I wouldn't be carrying extra fluids unless you're going many miles from civilization. Load it up too full with spares and you won't have room or capacity for adventure gear!

jourdan

Thanks, Shay. I'll put fluids solidly in the edge-case category then. With the fridge and slider in the back and tent on roof I'm sure to be near gross weight with even 3 pax.

I don't go anywhere without an inReach, and I'll pick up a jump starter (I like Project Farm's suggestions for such things). Recovery kit, shovel, and axe came with the build. What do you carry in your mobile tool kit for your JKURR?

-J

jadmt

ignore button user
I know three people personally who went to use their engos and found they did not work and the electrics were totally corroded. These were not jeeps that were run in water either so check the control box often.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
From my perspective 90% of the bolt on STUFF on your jk are non essential for the
average overlanding/lunar lander .. however, are you planning on a extended
around the world excursion, if so , maybe an rtt or small trailer for a tent , camping equipment and water purification kits.
Really depends on your requirements for the type of travel you have in mind.
Good luck

jadmt

ignore button user
on 2013 you might want to check to make sure the oil filter cooler is not leaking..very common issues on 3.6L

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Thanks, Shay. I'll put fluids solidly in the edge-case category then. With the fridge and slider in the back and tent on roof I'm sure to be near gross weight with even 3 pax.

I don't go anywhere without an inReach, and I'll pick up a jump starter (I like Project Farm's suggestions for such things). Recovery kit, shovel, and axe came with the build. What do you carry in your mobile tool kit for your JKURR?

-J
unnamed.jpg
I figured a pic would get nearly everything where recollection wouldn't! A ratcheting screwdriver with bits is a good idea as well but it isn't a good replacement for a standard screwdriver that can be used as a punch or pry tool in a pinch. If you include a ratcheting screwdriver, include a 1/4" drive square bit so you can run your small sockets with it. It works wonders and that's what I use at work. I have some 1/4" sockets in the tool roll pockets. The test light is a non-LED type. One with a standard filament is the way to go for troubleshooting. When working with electrical stuff finding voltage isn't enough, you need to test for current as well and an LED test light (or a meter) won't do that because the current draw is too low. I also keep a couple pair of nitrile gloves for messy situations, a roll of electrical tape and some crimp on connectors in a small plastic bottle. A couple small containers of fuses are kept up in the console.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I forgot to mention vise grips. I have a standard pair and a smaller needle nose pair. They are indispensable in a field repair situation. I would also carry some needlenose pliers if you don't already carry a leatherman tool full time. I try not to have much redundancy because my Jeep is heavy enough already. I have a programmer/ code reader that stays with the Jeep as well. I figure if I break down and need to read or clear codes it works a lot better in the Jeep then it does in my toolbox at home. I have never needed it on the road so far (knock on wood).

View attachment 691585
I figured a pic would get nearly everything where recollection wouldn't! A ratcheting screwdriver with bits is a good idea as well but it isn't a good replacement for a standard screwdriver that can be used as a punch or pry tool in a pinch. If you include a ratcheting screwdriver, include a 1/4" drive square bit so you can run your small sockets with it. It works wonders and that's what I use at work. I have some 1/4" sockets in the tool roll pockets. The test light is a non-LED type. One with a standard filament is the way to go for troubleshooting. When working with electrical stuff finding voltage isn't enough, you need to test for current as well and an LED test light (or a meter) won't do that because the current draw is too low. I also keep a couple pair of nitrile gloves for messy situations, a roll of electrical tape and some crimp on connectors in a small plastic bottle. A couple small containers of fuses are kept up in the console.

One thing I would change in this is the test light where I agree just finding voltage isn’t enough old school filament style can back feed and cause issues in new circuitry. You can get test lights on Amazon for very cheap now that are led and give you a voltage reading and are also reversible so you can hook your clip to power and check your ground as well. It just changes your led color on most I have seen. For example:

Premium Digital LED Automotive Circuit Tester, DC 2.6V-32V Test Light with Portable PU Extended Spring Wire, Vehicle Circuits Low Voltage Light Tester with Sharp Stainless Probe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
One thing I would change in this is the test light where I agree just finding voltage isn’t enough old school filament style can back feed and cause issues in new circuitry. You can get test lights on Amazon for very cheap now that are led and give you a voltage reading and are also reversible so you can hook your clip to power and check your ground as well. It just changes your led color on most I have seen. For example:

Premium Digital LED Automotive Circuit Tester, DC 2.6V-32V Test Light with Portable PU Extended Spring Wire, Vehicle Circuits Low Voltage Light Tester with Sharp Stainless Probe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a snap-on version of that same test light and thought that it was the cats meow when I got it years and years ago, but after 20 years working as a control electrician I'm sold on an old school test light. I've ran across many electricians in my field trying to troubleshoot with a meter when they should have used a test light and coming up with nothing when a 30 watt test light (different electrical system) would have located the problem for them right away. That being said with today's modern cars and their use of multiplexing and signaling in the circuit I would be in some agreement. I do not figure I'll be deep troubleshooting an OEM electrical system in the field. More likely I'll be tesing fused circuits, aftermarket add ons and relays which are all safe for a filament style test light.

Scrib

Observer
I carry a tool roll like shays4me. I actually try to use those tools for all of the work that I do on my Jeep - about the only time that I have to go to my "shop tools" is for 1/2 drive stuff, a torque wrench, or a 24mm socket for the oil filter. I carry a good-quality ABC fire extinguisher in the back, since that is where I cook and it is usually required in a lot of places that I travel. One of these days I also want to have a Halotron extinguisher up front for engine fires, but I just have not sprung for that kind of coin, yet. One other item that I might consider "essential" is an off road base for a Hi-Lift jack. It works great for any kind of jack, but it is kind of a pain to store. I keep mine in the bottom of the Trasharoo. Other than that, just a jump pack and an assortment of fuses, including the cartridge fuses.

billiebob

Beyond the basics which have to include metric and imperial wrench sets since Jeeps have a mix of metric and imperial sizes...
Here are a few I always carry.

Booster Cables, I need them once every 5 years but when I need them......
Tire chains. 1 pair for the rear tires. A snow storm or wrong turn makes them indispensable if you like independence.
AAA..... whatever brand of free towing you have. Best part is stranded 500 miles from home the AAA girl knows who to call.
VISA..... instant free money, plus some cash for those who don't take plastic money.

Gloves, toque, winter hikers, fleece, rain jacket, flashlite.... maybe headlite.

Other tools,,, I use the factory jack, if you use something else test it before you need it.

Finally, use a mechanic and shop for maintenance spring and fall, let them do the oil change cuz they will also check the lights, driveline, steering, brakes, antifreeze, battery condition and give you a list of items to fix...... In 40 years I've never been stranded. Pay the professional before you break down.

My tool box is more useful fixing stuff when I visit my kids than fixing stuff on my Jeep on the road.

Finally make sure someone knows where you are going and when you should be back. Cell phones and all the other electrical aids will do you no good if your vehicle catches fire.

jourdan

I appreciate all the guidance, thanks guys. Picked the jeep up yesterday and am loving getting to know her.
Favorite phone mounting techniques? I have a magpul case but am not wed to it.
-J

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I appreciate all the guidance, thanks guys. Picked the jeep up yesterday and am loving getting to know her.
Favorite phone mounting techniques? I have a magpul case but am not wed to it.
-J
www.67d.com Awesome US made products. I have been using there phone mount for years. Zero shake with there solid ball mounts. Unlike the rubber coated competitors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles