"minimalist ford transit tc" replaced by BIG brother!

yelnam

Stefan (sg1): are you in Europe? I haven't heard that the Transits in the US have dual batteries with a separator as you've described.

sg1

Adventurer
It is a European Transit. The separator is part of the battery management system. It isn't a separate piece of hardware. It wasn't mentioned in the manual. I only discovered it when I tested the batteries with the engine switched off.
Stefan

lqhikers

Adventurer
a couple of transit inside details.

the transit was a replacement for our northstar camper.
the northstar had a nice feature that i copied for the transit.
under bed storage adds a nice storage pod and access to area under bed.

to keep weight down low i did not add upper cabinets,but built 2 shelfs on sides of bed and deeper one at the rear of bed.

ceiling and walls are insulated, paneled with 1/4'plwood, and covered with indoor/outdoor carpet.

lights are all led"s.

Les,lqhikers

Attachments

• P1020483.jpg
    P1020483.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 33
  • P1020482.jpg
    P1020482.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 25

oldnslow

Observer
My sister has a US 2015 Transit that has dual batteries. They are tied directly together, no separator. They are mounted under the driver's seat and are not easy to get at.

We used a Blue Sea ACR bidirectional battery separator between the house batteries and the engine batteries. That way the engine can charge the house batteries if driving on a cloudy day, and the solar can charge the engine batteries if parked for a few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier