Mini rice cooker

jhmoore

I’m planning for this spring’s travel and wanting to do more stir-fry type cooking. Found a cute little mini rice cooker (does 0.5 to 1.5 cups (uncooked) of rice) for $25 and just tested it today running off my Jackery 500.

Worked great! For 0.5 cups rice it maxed out at about 200 watts draw and burned about 14% of my battery. Success! I think I can probably afford 14% of my battery for rice or quinoa... unless it’s been cloudy for days.

Cute little thing, too!

Attachments

• 25844A93-005D-4405-A63C-84F4D4B077E2.jpeg
    25844A93-005D-4405-A63C-84F4D4B077E2.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
  • 5F4AA1DF-E400-43D3-89A8-A562A38E9493.jpeg
    5F4AA1DF-E400-43D3-89A8-A562A38E9493.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I use an electric rice-cooker at home - very convenient and I swear by it, but unless I were full-timing, I'd probably just do rice in a pot. That seems like a huge hit to take to your boondock time.

krick3tt

Adventurer
If anyone knows of a 12V rice cooker I would appreciate a link.

edit: I found one with decent reviews.

Last edited:

NEIA Nomad

I've always used a small saucepan with the lid. Rinse the rice throw it in and double the water so if you have half cup of rice pour in one cup of water. My problem is everyone wants me to make sticky rice for them now so I have to bring the fancy rice cooker.20210414_070251.jpg

krick3tt

Adventurer
Although I have found a 12V rice cooker I will probably not get one. Just one more thing to carry and find a place for.
Usually if I intend to have a meal that would include rice I would make it at home, create small portions, freeze it and vacuum seal it for use later. Meal planning is primarily done on a day to day meal plan with some variety thrown in for fun.
Morning coffee or tea, bacon or spam and eggs, light lunch might be fruit or a sandwich with dinner being the larger meal unless something changes the itinerary for camping.
I get many of my food ideas from a camping cookbook I found years ago.

roving1

I want one to throw rice and veggies to cook while I am driving around but I have so much crap already too.

What does work great for rice and pasta and a whole bunch of stuff is a small pressure cooker. I can cook rice in about 8 minutes with this thing. Cook pasta in 11 and it doesn't matter what the altitude is. After living in Mexico at 9000 feet for awhile it became extremely annoying how long it took to boil cook anything at that attitude. I seriously boiled pasta for almost 30 minutes once lol. Now it comes with me every where.

It sounds silly as I am an OK cook, but I hate tending to cooking rice manually and changing elevation. It's just so easy with a rice cooker, and now a pressure cooker because I can start it and leave it and know it will come out great with no interaction until its cooked and come out the same every time.

This thing is awesome and with one of those stainless steel chain mail things cleaning seriously takes almost no more time than a non stick pan.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I use a rice cooker at home . On the road, I just use precooked rice packs. Less work great taste.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I now use this to heat a meal as I travel. Great little device.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: WVI

krick3tt

Adventurer
Check on Amazon, there are several. I wanted to be sure the one I was checking out had a locking lid, it does..Many want one that works on 120V as well as 12V. Not going to happen. They do not cost that much anyway. I have been cooking rice at home for many years, got mine at a store that sells Asian goods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles