Mini Restore (deferred maintenance) and new toys for my 05 G500 Grand Edition

RobMBush

Front caster correction.was a must for my lift amount of nearly 80mm. They got me back to the numbers I was seeing with a 40mm lift but not back to stock numbers. As for the other bushings I wouldn't do poly again but instead stick with OE. The ride is a bit more harsh and you definitely feel more of what you're driving over!

Mudflaps are easy pre 2008 Gs. You need the mounting kit and specific mud flaps. I bought it all from four by four club years ago. Post 2008 it gets a bit more tricky because if the rear gas tank armor but there is also a kit.

shiann

very cool. thanks for the input.

The more I think about it and how I want to build a off road/overlanding rig for the future, it's becoming and more and more attractive to pick up a second G500 or older for a wild off road build and keeping the G55 mild for mostly on-road duty. How did you come to the conclusion to keep the 2005 and have 2 instead of keeping just 1 and going with another truck/car?

RobMBush

very cool. thanks for the input.

The more I think about it and how I want to build a off road/overlanding rig for the future, it's becoming and more and more attractive to pick up a second G500 or older for a wild off road build and keeping the G55 mild for mostly on-road duty. How did you come to the conclusion to keep the 2005 and have 2 instead of keeping just 1 and going with another truck/car?

Bought the new one and realized I didn't want to sell the old one :) The 14 550 is a much more comfy/sporty ride as its configured and I didn't want to go do wild on it and reduce its usability. Ultimately we left it to our 3 year old son to make the call if we should keep it and build a dedicated camping truck, he said he wanted to keep the "old daddy truck". Besides we have several other cars too... We are basically car hoarders at this point: 18 991.2 GT3 Manual, 16 M3 Competition, 04 325ci, 1977 280z I built when I was 15, and a 14 cayenne GTS in the works for my wife to replace the 325ci which we might actually sell but she wants to keep too!

shiann

Sounds like a great problem to have! So far my son (2 years old) loves the truck so hope he says the same thing in the future when I start taking him camping.

What's your opinion on the Frontrunner drawer system? Did you drill through the cargo floor to mount it? I'm debating purchasing it or just designing a custom one out of 8020 and some MDF, but a drop in solution does sound very tempting given free time vs too many projects.

I should just post in your thread over on MBW since I'm on there a lot more.

RobMBush

Sounds like a great problem to have! So far my son (2 years old) loves the truck so hope he says the same thing in the future when I start taking him camping.

What's your opinion on the Frontrunner drawer system? Did you drill through the cargo floor to mount it? I'm debating purchasing it or just designing a custom one out of 8020 and some MDF, but a drop in solution does sound very tempting given free time vs too many projects.

I should just post in your thread over on MBW since I'm on there a lot more.

Frontrunner box is awesome. No I didn't drill the truck. You can totally install it with mostly the included hardware mounting it to the existing tie down points. I just had to add some shorter bolts to bolt ears together where it was designed to be through bolted at the wheel wells.

IMG_20200729_131101.jpgIMG_20200729_132019.jpgIMG_20200729_135224.jpg

shiann

Great. Thanks for the detail. I figured there would be a simple solution for this. Although I do love a good custom project, I'll save my time and just pick this up in the near future and spend that time designing other things. Does it come assembled in a big crate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles