Mini Restore (deferred maintenance) and new toys for my 05 G500 Grand Edition

RobMBush

Decided to keep the 05 G500, do a mini restore (neglected maintenance) and build it for more hard core offroad!

Maintenance ~150k miles:
Front axle cv/seals rebuild
engine valve cover seals and other gaskets that were leaking a bit (its no land rover after all)
TC oils and all new oil seals
Plugs
Transmission service
refreshed coolant systems and belts with all new OEM parts except the radiator
VTS heavy duty pulleys
Diff oils

Fun stuff:
Thor springs back on (actual 3" lift)
Poly bushings throughout
Castor correction bushings from eurowise
VTS adjustable panhards front and rear
VTS exhaust resonator delete kit
Fox shocks
VTS rear bumper, rock rails, sill protection and TC plate
VTS diff covers (yet to be installed)
MB OEM tow pin bumper on order from Germany through ORC (The old school version requiring a relocation of the Transmission oil cooler)
Warn 9.5xp winch with tow pin carrier and rear carrier from VTS. Wired both with Warn quick disconnects so I can move the Winch front or rear as needed.
Braid winrace S 8*17 wheels, planning to run 295/70-17 BFG KM3s

Some pics
PXL_20201205_192718403 (1).jpg
IMG_20200304_104207.jpgIMG_20200212_134344.jpgIMG_20200229_131623.jpgIMG_20200709_190117.jpgIMG_20200630_100350.jpgIMG_20200709_190351.jpg

Last edited:

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Nice!

What's your impression of the resonator delete? Does it noticeably improve the sound at all or just improve clearance?

RobMBush

Nice!

What's your impression of the resonator delete? Does it noticeably improve the sound at all or just improve clearance?

It's a nice bit of kit if you need it but it took some patience to get things worked out. Honestly the clearance is probably the main attraction, a bit more growl but nothing to really shout about.

MitsyMonty

Amazing work. Wish I had the confidence to do my front CV's and swiper seals! Were the skid plates all straightforward to install, no drilling?

I'm at 128k in my G500 now but would like to refresh my cooling system to ensure reliability on remote trails in the hot summer. Did you go with an upgraded or aftermarket radiator?

You mentioned replacing the belts, are your engine pulleys still original? I'm pondering upgrading to aluminum pulleys but maybe new oem would be enough peace of mind.

RobMBush

Amazing work. Wish I had the confidence to do my front CV's and swiper seals! Were the skid plates all straightforward to install, no drilling?

I'm at 128k in my G500 now but would like to refresh my cooling system to ensure reliability on remote trails in the hot summer. Did you go with an upgraded or aftermarket radiator?

You mentioned replacing the belts, are your engine pulleys still original? I'm pondering upgrading to aluminum pulleys but maybe new oem would be enough peace of mind.

Swivels/CV's was a big nasty job but in the end wasn't as challenging as I expected. Hardest part was getting the CV shafts disassembled for the new boots.

Skids were no drilling and straight forward. Only problem with the VTS TC plate is that it should come with a 1/2" aluminum spacer to mount (grabbed some off amazon).

Engine pulleys were replaced with units from VTS (Gwagon accessories) and made aluminum. Radiator was in amazingly good condition so I kept it original. I would go OE radiator if it were to need replacement.

shiann

Great work! What are your impressions of the Poly Bushings + Caster Correction Bushings? How do they feel driving and how was the install? Also, how was the install on the mudflaps?

RobMBush

Some additions to the truck build.

MB Tow pin bumper
Front runner drawer box
Hi lift jack mount
Lots offroading goodies :)

IMG_20200802_104750.jpgIMG_20200803_202230.jpgIMG_20200807_094120.jpgIMG_20200809_102232.jpgMVIMG_20200804_092433 (1).jpg

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Looking good!

Dumb question from a relatively new owner... where can you actually use the Hi-lift on a G? I've always had one on my past trucks, but sold mine with my last one and haven't replaced it to go with my G. Are there lifting points outboard enough I haven't found yet?

JCH4

Observer
Great work. I have the drawers as well and they have been a good addition. Is that the original color of the G and what is the color? Also, what type of wheels are those?

RobMBush

Looking good!

Dumb question from a relatively new owner... where can you actually use the Hi-lift on a G? I've always had one on my past trucks, but sold mine with my last one and haven't replaced it to go with my G. Are there lifting points outboard enough I haven't found yet?

On a stock G probably nowhere. I've got GWA rock sliders and bumper with recovery points on mine.

RobMBush

Great work. I have the drawers as well and they have been a good addition. Is that the original color of the G and what is the color? Also, what type of wheels are those?

All riginal. I can't find the actual code but it's the standard Mercedes silver.

RobMBush

All riginal. I can't find the actual code but it's the standard Mercedes silver.
Also wheels are the original that came on the 05 G500 grand edition. 18*7.5 et 43. I'm running a H&R 31 mm spacers set now but going to braid winrace S wheels in 17*8 et 25 when they come in November. I'm ot a huge fan of wheel spacers and the offset is a bit more aggressive than I would like it to be.

RobMBush

Great work! What are your impressions of the Poly Bushings + Caster Correction Bushings? How do they feel driving and how was the install? Also, how was the install on the mudflaps?

Front caster correction.was a must for my lift amount of nearly 80mm. They got me back to the numbers I was seeing with a 40mm lift but not back to stock numbers. As for the other bushings I wouldn't do poly again but instead stick with OE. The ride is a bit more harsh and you definitely feel more of what you're driving over!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles