Mini ExPo Bike or ExPo Mini Bike...

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
The year was 1968 and my mother bought my father a Honda Mini-Trail 50 as a first wedding anniversary gift. The bike was used as a pit bike for him while he was big into boat racing.

It's also the first bike my brother and learned to ride on. As a birthday present to my father I am rebuilding it for his birthday in July.

The tank had developed some pinhole leaks, so those were welded up. Then photo's were taken to accurately duplicate the paint scheme.

I would have loved to have had it coated in Old Honda Orange (KTM Orange Haha), but as it's a restoration and a surprise for my father I decided to keep it stock.

The powder could have been a little thicker, but it looks good.

Here's a picture of it on the way to the powder coating shop. Look hard it's in the corner.

100_1757.jpg

Here's the tank back from the coating shop.

100_1802.jpg

100_1803.jpg

The frame.

100_1804.jpg

Fenders.

100_1805.jpg

100_1806.jpg

100_1807.jpg

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Wow, what a great project!

My father had a blue one, that I learned to ride on! Unfortunately, there's no recovering his.

Your paw's got a good son.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I was just looking at the pics and realized I added a near duplicate and omitted the one that was supposed to be included.

100_1808.jpg

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Lynn said:
Wow, what a great project!

My father had a blue one, that I learned to ride on! Unfortunately, there's no recovering his.

Your paw's got a good son.

Thanks, that's very considerate of you. I'm really not that selfless though, as I plan to have as much fun on it as he does!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I remember you telling me about this project months ago, very cool.

I would like to have one of these or a mini-trail 70 as back-up backcountry transportation. Small, light, and relatively easy to haul. :roost:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
AAHHH...The escape pod! Maybe I can rig up someway to throw it on the back of the chaser. Or in between the nose box and the water tank. With the aux tank on the 80 I may not need to carry two extra cans on the trailer.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Perfect, it might fit there!

24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
AAHHH...The escape pod! Maybe I can rig up someway to throw it on the back of the chaser. Or in between the nose box and the water tank. With the aux tank on the 80 I may not need to carry two extra cans on the trailer.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
cruiseroutfit said:
Very cool, I assume your familiar with HondaMiniTrail.com , I've sourced a bunch of part from them for my old Z50 :cool:. Sadly in a moment of weakness I sold it :rolleyes:

Yes, that's where the resto parts are coming from. Talk about a moment of weakness, I just bought a frame and tank off of fleabay to start building one for me.

I can't believe you sold yours.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
...I can't believe you sold yours.

I know, I know... I still have alot of little toys kicking around. I've got a 5HP chopper mini-bike I'm bringing back to life :D

Here's me riding the beast on one of our summer jaunts :D We would rip all over town on them until the cops told us to go home and grow up :D

new%20053.jpg

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
cruiseroutfit said:
I know, I know... I still have alot of little toys kicking around. I've got a 5HP chopper mini-bike I'm bringing back to life :D

Here's me riding the beast on one of our summer jaunts :D We would rip all over town on them until the cops told us to go home and grow up :D

new%20053.jpg

Grow up? Did you just smile and say never.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
She's back out and mobile again!

New cables, chain, grips, fresh powder coating job, rebuilt motor & gearbox, new fork seals, some other new parts and a lot of elbow grease. My father was pretty surprised to say the least. As we were sitting there looking at it after taking turns riding it, he said "You know, it doesn't look bad for being 40 Years old!" It's hard to believe that mom bought this for him in 1968 as a first wedding anniversary gift.

100_1963.jpg

100_1964.jpg

100_1962.jpg

100_1961.jpg

40 years old, huh? It made me think where my son's KTM ProJunior will be in 40 years? Probably recycled over a few times, but who knows.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Oh, he did add by the way that he only has two other things that old. His Omega "Moon watch" and my mom. I laughed, then he added that he would like me to find, buy and restore his 1964 Corvette next. Again, I just laughed and said I think that's out of the budget by quite a bit. Good times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior