Milwaukee MX Fuel - Carry On

Superduty

Adventurer
A new line of Milwaukee tools were announced/released today. They are all big tools that you wouldn't traditionally think of being battery powered. Included in the line up is one called the carry on. Will it have a place in the overlanding / camping world?

Carry On

Carry On video

Attachments

• MXF_Multimessage_002-1XC_W.jpg
    MXF_Multimessage_002-1XC_W.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 42

shade

A new line of Milwaukee tools were announced/released today. They are all big tools that you wouldn't traditionally think of being battery powered. Included in the line up is one called the carry on. Will it have a place in the overlanding / camping world?

Carry On

Carry On video
I've been wondering when major tool manufacturers would get into the large battery power center market. I'd rather have one of these devices from Milwaukee or DeWalt than any of the current vendors.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
It's neat, but I can't see it being useful to my setup. I've put effort into avoiding anything in my camp setup that uses 110v so a quality inverter doesn't really have any usefulness to me. I don't see any 12v outputs I could convert for anderson powerpoles.

The batteries themselves are the only thing if interest to me, and if they are not set up to be recharged easily by connecting to a running vehicle or solar, then they are not helpful. It looks like they are packs full of 16850 batteries, which I utilize heavily on their own not jammed into larger packs I can't charge off grid.

Most devices use DC anyway, inverters are inefficient when you can just use things to step down voltage to what your device uses and not waste as much. I like keeping everything in DC, the only AC devices I'll carry are battery chargers or power supplies to convert 110v to DC so I can recharge all my stuff on-grid should I have access to it. The other way round doesn't help me.

USB is so standard now I can get a wild variety of ways to have access to it, from much smaller battery banks to converting it off 12v, so I don't need that huge unit for USB.

That unit is also huge, might be fine for a construction site, but in my camping setup it wastes a lot of space when I can buy or build battery storage in a much more compact way.

If I needed power tools I think I'd find another way to go about it, use a small inverter to charge a few power tool batteries from my usual battery setup, if I just had to have power tools on the go.

shade

I think these will be used as ICE generator replacements on job sites more than anything else. For that use, they may do well. You brought up some good points about charging and DC output. The smart move for tool manufacturers may be to offer something similar, but tailored to the home/recreational user. A name like Milwaukee means something, especially when compared to niche companies like GoalZero & Zamp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94