Military Trailer title?

someday

Adventurer
Here is the story, I about two months ago I bought a M101 A2 from a guy (from a military vehicle forum) about 2 hrs from my house. I do not have the title, only a bill of sale for the trialer. The seller said he was/is going to submit paperwork to get a title issued, after that we would meet up and transfer the title over. I contacted him 5 weeks later and he said, "I submitted yours along with another one and the serial number was XX. They said they all ready issued that number so I'm straightening out now. Had this problem before but worked it out." Just curious if anyone else has heard of this and/or how long it takes to get straightened out???

Also, is there ANY way of getting the trailer titled with just a bill of sale or will I have to sell it for "farm use only" and start my search all over again?

I was looking into Maine Registration and it seems that they are mainly commercial trailers or I need to send a copy of the title.

Am I missing something?

Do you guys have any other options?

The guy I bought the trailer from is no longer responding to texts or returning phone calls. So disappointed, I have never bought anything off a forum and had ANY kinds of problems. People on forums that I have come across are generally good people. I just wish he would either give me my money back or get me a title. Is there anyway I can obtain a title with just a bill of sale? Its been almost 2 months and I am getting frustrated. I would like to use my trailer! UGH!!!

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!
:sombrero:

I know he bought it through a government liquidations auction. Does anyone know a number I could call to possibly get a title through the government?

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Maybe you could pull the data plate and register it as a home built? May require you to have a stamped VIN number put on it but that might work?

bobDog

Expedition Leader
In Oregon we don't need no stinking titles for light trailers or plates. Man am I glad I don't have to deal w/ stuff like that.
Good luck.
If you've moded it the the home built idea sounds good.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Homemade Trailers
To register your homemade trailer, or one made from a kit, you must have the trailer pass a safety inspection. This must take place at a state-approved safety inspection station. Your trailer will be photographed during the inspection.

After passing, present the inspector or certified document reviewer with:

Completed form MV-426B Proof of ownership (title, Manufacturer's Statement of Origin or Certificate of Origin, bill of sale) Completed form MV-1 (unavailable online) Detailed description on how the vehicle was assembled The title fee for homemade trailers is $22.50, plus you'll need to pay sales tax, and the appropriate trailer registration fee. The annual registration fees for trailers weighing:

3,000 lbs. or less―$6

bunger

Adventurer
You shouldn't have any problem with the Maine registration having only a bill of sale.
I just registered one that never had a title or was ever registered. It spent it's previous life on a PA farm.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I'm in the same boat with a single wheel trailer from a neighbor's garage sale, the owner passed away and they couldn't find any titles. And I don't know where they took off to.

Never did anything yet, but somewhere there was a thread saying you can register a trailer in NJ or Maine or ???? as a non-resident, pay the fee and get a registration and title. Then with that title in hand go to your license folks and turn it in for a new title as a resident in your state as all states accept titles from other states. Sorry I can't remember the easy state to register in, someone here may know.

someday

Adventurer
:eek::eek::eek:

aaaah, here is an update. The guy texted me last week and said "guess what came in the mail?" I ASSUMED it was the title. I told him I could come up on Sept 5 (tomorrow) since I have it off and we were set. Well, he called me tonight around 9.30 and said, he has the title, but he needs to get it registered in HIS name before he can get it titled and registered in MY name!!! Does this make sense to anyone? Wondering if anyone else has heard of this? He then said that he could do it electronically (and that it would take a week), and would mail me a notarized title in my name once he received it.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

I don't understand why he cant just sign it over to me and I can register it in my name straight from him without having him register it in his name first?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

E Dr. P

Observer
Since he bought it from GL he got an SF-97. That is the certificate to obtain the title. It is non-transferable, so it is of no use to you. He needs to use that to get the title, then transfer the title to you.

emt.micah

Observer
About to go thru this myself in Indiana. I emailed the BMV detrailing the situation. They emailed me back next day with a packet of paperwork to complete and instructions on what to do. Guess I got luck with them for once.

About to go thru this myself in Indiana. I emailed the BMV detrailing the situation. They emailed me back next day with a packet of paperwork to complete and instructions on what to do. Guess I got luck with them for once.
Since I just went through the same situation months ago with the 416 I picked up, what info I can give to help you is, follow the instructions they sent you. It is seriously as easy as they make it out to be. Took me about a total of a month from buying the trailer to the day I had the title/plate in my hand. Not too shabby if you ask me.

dmcasshooter

If purchased thru government liquidators they will have all info on that trailer. Otherwise register as a self built trailer, most states have procedures for it. Mine purchased thru gov liq took about six weeks plus to get

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94