Military Times, van life article

Ray_G

Explorer
Wow, and article in that rag that i actually like-its not all pay chart's and what is changing with haircut regs!

michael_l

Observer
I knew I wasn't the only active duty dude longing for when I get out and can get a van and drive around for a few years relaxing and seeing the sights! I saw that article yesterday, really, it makes a lot of sense.

We spend so much time doing mandatory training, sifting through bs, and being told where we are going, it only seems natural to converge on the other end of the spectrum.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I knew I wasn't the only active duty dude longing for when I get out and can get a van and drive around for a few years relaxing and seeing the sights! I saw that article yesterday, really, it makes a lot of sense.

We spend so much time doing mandatory training, sifting through bs, and being told where we are going, it only seems natural to converge on the other end of the spectrum.
Concur!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

doubleroses

Adventurer

Pretty much exactly how I feel!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I thought the same. Sad thing is that you are almost guaranteed to have less vacation and time off in the civilian world. Yes, you can't take months on end to roam around now but my civilian job only offers the equivalent of two weeks of vacation a year and there is no such thing as 72's or 96's.

I was lucky enough to be stationed in SoCal so I had numerous adventure prospects at my door.

Make the most use of your time now as you can. Everyday I was in I would think about all I would do with my "freedom". Lots to do in a month block of leave. Once you get in the civie grind it is hard to take a bunch of time off. (I also said I would never wake up 0530 ever again after I was out. That held to be true, I now get up at 0515 every morning! Lol)

Good luck with your plans and thanks for your service!

Jsweezy

Explorer
I totally agree with RemembertheFallen. I was also just thinking as I read this thread that I wish I would have been more aware of the van life while I was active duty. I would have spent less time screwing around on the weekends and more time enjoying all the places I could see.

Teague

I wish I'd had a van when I was active, or even right after I got out. For younger guys getting out now, especially if they end up in school, spring break and summer break are ideal. Especially with all the ways people can make money through apps now. I'm jealous.

justcuz

Explorer
I thought the same. Sad thing is that you are almost guaranteed to have less vacation and time off in the civilian world. Yes, you can't take months on end to roam around now but my civilian job only offers the equivalent of two weeks of vacation a year and there is no such thing as 72's or 96's.

You could have the 72's or 96's if you retired out and went to work in the fire service. You also could save your vacation and take a month off too. LACOUNTY FD has hired guys as old as 49 and give veterans extra points in the testing process. Something to consider.

Last edited:
You could have the 72's or 96's if you retired out and went to work in the fire service. You also could save your vacation and take a month off too. LACOUNTY FD has hired guys as old as 49 and give veterans extra points in the testing process. Something to consider.

I work in EMS now so have the same 24 on/48 off schedule. So yes technically I have more days off but only receive 4 shifts worth of vacation a year. That still only equals out to two weeks total a year of vacation. There aren't any services around here, Fire or EMS, that get a month of vacation a year.

Besides, if I would have retired out of the military then I would have gone on the road with that retirement check and not worry about another job!

justcuz

Explorer
I've banked my vacation (2 years) and taken a few one month vacations over my fire service career.
Most fire departments have a way to allow it, if not you have shift trades. I knew a guy who worked for FDNY who lived in Hawaii. He would work a couple weeks straight and go home for a couple weeks. Guys here in Southern California do the same, some live in Oregon, Washington and Idaho.
When there is a will, there is a way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles