MILD lift options for 3rd gen 4runner: Ideas?

tacollie

Glamper
I ran 255/85s with the 881/890 combo. I am running 882/890 now and have the same amount of rub. I would plan on having a little rake unloaded so it will sit level loaded. I think the OME springs are the same rate as the Tundra TRD coils. Any harshness in the ride comes from the 890s being unloaded. The front feels great.

rickashay

Explorer
^ I was currently reading the comparison in spring rates between the 881/882/TRD tundra coils and I can't remember the exact numbers! the TRDs are a Toyota spring, they are progressive rate, and are supposed to hold weight from a bumper, winch, etc better than the 881s.... That's my reason for the switch. Like I said, I DO also like the ride of the 881s and OME comfort shocks.

I agree, always make it raked unloaded unless your building a mall crawler.

GL with your decision.

Applejack

Explorer
After re-reading your first post this is what I think you should do: Buy the OME 880 coils for the front and the 906's for the rear. Initially you should get about 1 1/2 inches of lift in the front and 2 inches in the rear. They will settle once broken in. Buy the OME comfort shocks, not the Sport shocks like I have. No need for a diff drop or pan hard mod. This will net you a smidgeon of lift and a close to stock ride with better on road handling. The rear is going to sit a bit higher and if you have no extra weight in the back you may find it just a tad stiff but IMO not too harsh.

P.S. The coils are cheap, it's the shocks that get you!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If it helps, my '99 is definitely one of the "tall coil" models. It sits pretty high even with the stock suspension.

880 is the taller version of the 881 but with identical spring rate?

Applejack

Explorer
If it helps, my '99 is definitely one of the "tall coil" models. It sits pretty high even with the stock suspension.

880 is the taller version of the 881 but with identical spring rate?

Mine is the same. It's the 881's that are taller I believe by about 1/2 an inch or so. That's what I choose after speaking to ARB. If you have any qualms go ahead and give them a call, they are happy to help.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...880 is the taller version of the 881 but with identical spring rate?

...It's the 881's that are taller I believe by about 1/2 an inch or so...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...for-3rd-gen-4runner-Ideas?p=968499#post968499

;)

Tundra TRD coils (neon/lt blue & neon/yellow) are ~20% higher spring rate than 880/881/882. I ran the Tundra coils on my Tacoma for a bit, went back to the OME 882's as they were just a better fit for my needs. If you don't have weight, etc, the 880/881's are going to be your market.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_OME_coils.html

Identical spring rate, different free height.

Very informative chart.

Couple of questions, though:

First off, in some cases, two measurements for free height are given. What are these two numbers?

For example, free height of the 906 is listed as 390/380 (in MM) Is this with or without some part attached?

Second question, does anyone have a reference that shows the free height and spring rates for the stock 99 Tall Coil springs, for reference?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Driver and passenger side springs, built slightly different to combat lean.

I've got all the standard oem coils listed on our build sheets that we use when setting up a suspension, I'll try to remember to post up when I'm back at my work computer on Monday.

philndz

Adventurer
Reporting back after my 881/906 install this weekend. NOTE: I added the 10mm trim packers to the factory cones on each of the rear coils for this install. The resulting rake is what I would consider perfect! After sitting for a couple days and doing a few miles around the block the pinch welds of my rocker panels on my '97 SR5 4Runner are 20.75" at the rear (below rear door) and 20.2" up front (under front door/fender area). So the truck sits about a 1/2" higher in the rear than the front. Perfect for sitting level when loaded.
In summary, I highly recommend adding the trim packers to the 881/906 setup.
Lousy photo:
DSC_0179.JPG

Last edited:

MB3

Yes, like many others I can recommend the OME suspension kit. But choose carefully which version of the kit you get, and I highly recommend getting the complete kit, not mixing it with different shocks or springs.

I put OME full kit on my 1999 Tacoma xtracab v-6, and at advice of an ARB tech I stuck with their "light stock" OME package. It resulted in a little over 2" lift above stock height, I carefully measured before and after. My stock suspension had 85k miles on it at time of swap, I have no winch, etc. Stock truck, stock 31" size tires. (nope, I would not recommend upping the size either unless you really need it)

The heavier springs are where many complaints come from, and I was told by ARB that unless I have several hundred pounds of permanent gear like winch, aftermarket bumpers, etc, stick with the light stock OME kit. Otherwise your front end, they said, will ride too high, too stiff and you may have CV axle issues.

I love the ride, it was a huge improvement over stock system. My stock springs had 86k miles on them, shocks were street crap.

I also probably recommend a drop dif kit, I'm about to do that as I did notice grease seepage in one CV after the suspension change. I think they are showing signs of strain with the constant, steeper angle. Tacoma's don't like too much suspension lift.

I also bought the full kit because they were designed to be used together. That's very important when it comes to mixing and matching springs and shocks. It's nice to have them get along with regards to suspension travel length, height, etc. I have stock upper control arms.

Dunno about the 4runner kit, but the OME kit for Tacoma is designed with a rear rake in it, which helps keep the rear boosted a touch for load leveling. I'd definitely boost the rear by some means if I had a 4runner, with its inherently heavier back end.

I had airbags long ago on the rear of my truck. I will never again use airbags. Full axle articulation tends to crush them, shorten their life. The local shops I talked to never recommend them, telling me what I found out quick-- they just don't last if you use the truck off road, and the problem is made worse if you don't keep pressure in them constantly.

hope this helps!

I used to have a Tacoma...traded up for a Grand Cherokee

MB3

Of course I miss my Toycoma greatly...

Yes, like many others I can recommend the OME suspension kit. But choose carefully which version of the kit you get, and I highly recommend getting the complete kit, not mixing it with different shocks or springs.

I put OME full kit on my 1999 Tacoma xtracab v-6, and at advice of an ARB tech I stuck with their "light stock" OME package. It resulted in a little over 2" lift above stock height, I carefully measured before and after. My stock suspension had 85k miles on it at time of swap, I have no winch, etc. Stock truck, stock 31" size tires. (nope, I would not recommend upping the size either unless you really need it)

The heavier springs are where many complaints come from, and I was told by ARB that unless I have several hundred pounds of permanent gear like winch, aftermarket bumpers, etc, stick with the light stock OME kit. Otherwise your front end, they said, will ride too high, too stiff and you may have CV axle issues.

I love the ride, it was a huge improvement over stock system. My stock springs had 86k miles on them, shocks were street crap.

I also probably recommend a drop dif kit, I'm about to do that as I did notice grease seepage in one CV after the suspension change. I think they are showing signs of strain with the constant, steeper angle. Tacoma's don't like too much suspension lift.

I also bought the full kit because they were designed to be used together. That's very important when it comes to mixing and matching springs and shocks. It's nice to have them get along with regards to suspension travel length, height, etc. I have stock upper control arms.

Dunno about the 4runner kit, but the OME kit for Tacoma is designed with a rear rake in it, which helps keep the rear boosted a touch for load leveling. I'd definitely boost the rear by some means if I had a 4runner, with its inherently heavier back end.

I had airbags long ago on the rear of my truck. I will never again use airbags. Full axle articulation tends to crush them, shorten their life. The local shops I talked to never recommend them, telling me what I found out quick-- they just don't last if you use the truck off road, and the problem is made worse if you don't keep pressure in them constantly.

hope this helps!

Themightygoose

Reporting back after my 881/906 install this weekend. NOTE: I added the 10mm trim packers to the factory cones on each of the rear coils for this install. The resulting rake is what I would consider perfect! After sitting for a couple days and doing a few miles around the block the pinch welds of my rocker panels on my '97 SR5 4Runner are 20.75" at the rear (below rear door) and 20.2" up front (under front door/fender area). So the truck sits about a 1/2" higher in the rear than the front. Perfect for sitting level when loaded.
In summary, I highly recommend adding the trim packers to the 881/906 setup.
Lousy photo:
DSC_0179.JPG
You might not even have the truck anymore, since this is such an old post, but I really like your setup. I have a '99 and want to improve the load handling with minimal lift. How did those 906's hold up to moderate loads of camping gear, @300 pounds?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles