Mid~1980's Solid Axle Yota's........

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

What do you think?

Tell us about your experience with these early to mid 1980's solid axle Yota's.

The pros/cons...........

The different engines...............carb. or EFI

Lift's....Tire's....Gearing (what did you do?)

"articulation"......! (are you listening?:ylsmoke: )

I found this truck today..........

Not Running. (oh...says needs timing belt)

Asking $1,200 obo.

What do you think? ......is it worth the trouble?

Of course it would have to be repainted "Expediton Portal White"......!:sombrero:

(Edit: by the time the dumb dumb emailed me back....he emailed me just in time to tell me the truck was "Sold"....even though I responded to his ad right away!...UG!....story of my life!...that's why the pic below is gone.)

For proper visual effects for this thread....I added a new pic!....of my dream mid~80's Yota machine!...:costumed-smiley-007

580882466.203615237.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian894x4

Explorer
Rust is a big issue if it's lived in the east at all. Even in the west, I'd carefully check the frame.

Solid axle trucks are becoming more and more rare, so assuming it's rust free or relative rust free, it's probably worth the price even with a bad motor.

It would be a plus if the motor was a 22RE (EFI). If it says it needs a timing chain, then it likely broke the chain, which means the motor probably got seriously damaged. But 22Rs are a dime a dozen.

The solid axle trucks are very durable, but I'm not a fan of the factory suspension and steering. I would consider upgrading to a Hy-steer system at least, but that can be spendy and some fabrication is needed, which why there's some debate as whether it really makes much difference to start with a factory solid axle truck or SAS a later IFS truck with a better motor when trying to build a good off road solid axle rig.

In my opinion the amount of worked needed to build a good rig is about the same on either, but later model trucks offer some additional advantages, not the least of which are better engines, more cab room, in both single and extra cab trucks, and wider rear axles.

However, if you want a very basic rig and don't plan on any major modifications, you really can't go to wrong with a factory SA rig.

If bought that rig, here's what I would do to it:

New/rebuilt 22RE, mated to a W56 tranny if it didn't already have one. I'm not a fan of the G series trannys that carb trucks of that generation got. Upgrade the rear diff to a V-6 unit and swap in 5.29 gears at both ends with at least an ARB in the rear. (Lockrite if we're really on a budget) Upgrade the steering to hysteer, swap in Longfield birfs, add about 2” lift via ARB's OME suspension, and go with a 33” tire. 2" should be enough to clear, but if not, cut the fenders if necessarily. Not reason to go any higher than 2".

If I had any money left over, an ARB bulbar, or possibly one of many other option bumper, from the likes of Marlin Crawler, All Pro or FROR, with a WARN 8000lb winch.

That should pretty cover it as far as the major mods. :D

Now, with all that said, I think I'd rather have your '88 4Runner for an "expedition rig", even with IFS, assuming it was in decent shape. In my opinion, an expedition IFS rig like your 4Runner needs little more than very minimal lift (1-2") 32-33" tires, regear as necessarily 4.88/5.29s and lockers and your pretty much set to go just about anywhere with a good reliable rig that has decent cargo and passenger carrying capacity.

Just my opinion. Good luck!

Last edited:

Westy

Adventurer
85 Toyota's

At first glance the truck looks good!

We need more info. Is the truck EFI? What modifications have been done to the motor, suspension, lockers, etc?

It looks like it has a slight lift and a front smittybuilt bumper.

My experience - I drive an '86 longbed pickup w/ a solid axle swap ('85 toyota axle) with a host of other modifications. Currently I am swapping in a 22RE from an '89 truck to replace my carburated engine.

My good friend drives an '85 4runner EFI. Great truck! The '85s are highly sought after, especially in good condition w/ EFI.

I really like the early Toyotas. They will run forever and the frames are very solid and mechanically they are easy to work on. The interiors are simple and durable. The aftermarket is excellent, with alot of new innovative parts being developed in recent years.

For the most part, 84-89 trucks are very similiar. The frames on the solid axle trucks have a higher arch in the front however, which allows you to run a shorter lift when running a crossover steering setup, or hi steer. The stock toyota push-pull steering setup should definitely be replaced with a hi-steer system.

I would highly recommend the EFI motor over the carb'ed engine. My 22R carb didnt give me too many problems, it is still a great motor but for off road use they can choke out on really STEEP inclines, and gas efficiency is poorer than an EFI system. Dont get me wrong, the 22R is just as reliable as an 22RE though. 22RE is just a 22R with an EFI bolted on for the most part. This applies to the later model 22R's.

Gearing - with the 22r's : typically 4.88s are run with 33s and 5.29s are run with 35" + tires. My friend has 5.29s and 33s. It runs fine with this gearing as well. Scott is running this gearing on his v6 Tacoma as well I believe.

Lift - I would stay away from Downey and NWOR.
Marlin, All Pro, Alcan and Deaver all make nice springs for the solid axle Toyotas. It depends what type of vehicle you are building and what its intended use is of course. I have Alcans and love them. You will want to get the longer 56" springs for the rear. It will ride much better and flex better with these. Of course you will have to relocate your front spring hanger.

For info on early Toyotas, this FAQ on PBB has it all - I highly recommend browsing through it -
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459180

S

Scenic WonderRunner

WOW!.........

ask and ye shall receive!......:bowdown:

...and very quickly too!

Great info....both Brian and Westy!

I'm considering the truck above, or one like it, as a father/son project for my 16 y/o son.

But it would also be nice to have a spare 4x4 around the house when my 4Runner is under the weather.

I'm sure this is also great info for anyone else who may be considering such a rig.

OH............and I'm assuming that the EFI would be better than the carb. version...especially while doing steep stuff. Can you retroit an EFI system onto a carb. engine? ....and would this be legal in CA.?

..............Thanks!:sombrero:

OH!...........

I forgot to say.........I want to make it look like THIS!.....and maybe with a 4Wheel Camper on the back!

580882466.203615237.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

tacoma4.jpg

White....or Silver will do!

Last edited by a moderator:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Scenic WonderRunner said:
WOW!.........

ask and ye shall receive!......:bowdown:

...and very quickly too!

Great info....both Brian and Westy!

I'm considering the truck above, or one like it, as a father/son project for my 16 y/o son.

But it would also be nice to have a spare 4x4 around the house when my 4Runner is under the weather.

I'm sure this is also great info for anyone else who may be considering such a rig.

OH............and I'm assuming that the EFI would be better than the carb. version...especially while doing steep stuff. Can you retroit an EFI system onto a carb. engine? ....and would this be legal in CA.?

..............Thanks!:sombrero:

Yeah its a bolt on to the motor if its a 85 but I think there is a speed sensor in the speedo.

If its a SR5 and a 85 then its probably a EFI truck as well. 84 is the one to watch out for. 85 was the first year of the "laser" block. The Laser block ran from 85 till the end of the 22R's.

Honestly if I had to do it again I think I would have put the 96 up cylinder in instead of rebuilding my 22RE. Don't get me worg...its a good motor and I plan to run it into the ground but the 22RE doesn't make a lot of power. The 3RZ 2.7 has a little more grunt.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=13826.0

This is the best conversion thread. Gives some smog conversion information as well.
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4401.0

esh

Explorer
I think the '85 is a great truck, in fact I have one for my DD. I still have PO issues to work out- stripped exhaust manifold stud, brick hard suspension lift, front axle seals, but it has been a good base to build upon. It gets about 22mpg highway/16-18 around town on 31s and no other gearing mods. Much better than the FJ62. It won't get built much as it will remain a DD and a scout truck for mapping and dirt/gravel roads.

I should have probably went with a newer IFS truck and 22RE but I feel more comfortable with tearing down a solid axle not to mention common parts with it and the land cruisers.

As to Brian's list of mods, it really depends on how you drive (how hard you are on the truck) and where you head with it. I can't imagine needing longfields with 33s. 35s are about where it seems to me they come into play. Maybe a front locker amplifies the problem. I'm looking at a light duty OME replacement for my crappy springs. Man-a-Fre is bringing in TIC Parabolic leafs from Europe. It's looking like they may be in the ballpark of OME prices, and if so I'll probably stick to tried and true.

For long trips, the 62 is the better setup for me. It does a lot more in 2wd than I would have expected with it. A locker would be useful in certain situations. I've noticed that with every traction helping mod I've done I've tended to "see what it can do" more than using it as a fallback.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
We had an '86 two-wheel-drive and it just ran and ran. If you don't think they're tough, just look at what Top Gear did to try to kill theirs, including blowing up a block of flats under it.

A good friend of mine bought, new, a 1979 two-wheel-drive Toyota pickup with, hmm, either a 20R or 22R, can't remember when they changed. In any case, when he traded the truck in on a new 2004 two-wheel-drive Toyota pickup, the old one had 327,000 miles on it and had never had the head off the block.

The '84-'88 generation is still my favorite Toyota truck body styling. It just looked like a small truck ought to.

Westy

Adventurer
Grim Reaper said:
Yeah its a bolt on to the motor if its a 85 but I think there is a speed sensor in the speedo.

If its a SR5 and a 85 then its probably a EFI truck as well. 84 is the one to watch out for. 85 was the first year of the "laser" block. The Laser block ran from 85 till the end of the 22R's.

Coverting a 22R to RE (carb to FI) is entirely possible, the blocks are the same, you just need to pick up the EFI parts and install them. Not all 22RE's are the same, '89+ uses different injectors and wiring than pre '89 22REs. The wiring is another issue, and for that reason I would not at all call it a bolt on. I am unsure if it would be legal in CA for smog reasons, but it would pass smog and look stock if done right.

I am in the process of swapping to FI in my '86 Toyota, however I have a complete donor vehicle and I am swapping the entire engine rather than just the FI parts, and building a custom wiring harness out of my existing harness in my '86, and adapting all the necessary EFI circuits.

If you want EFI, get a truck with it from the factory. Trust me ;)

Last edited:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Westy said:
Grim Reaper said:

Coverting a 22R to RE (carb to FI) is entirely possible, the blocks are the same, you just need to pick up the EFI parts and install them. Not all 22RE's are the same, '89+ uses different injectors and wiring than pre '89 22REs. The wiring is another issue, and for that reason I would not at all call it a bolt on. I am unsure if it would be legal in CA for smog reasons, but it would pass smog and look stock if done right.

I am in the process of swapping to FI in my '86 Toyota, however I have a complete donor vehicle and I am swapping the entire engine rather than just the FI parts, and building a custom wiring harness out of my existing harness in my '86, and adapting all the necessary EFI circuits.

If you want EFI, get a truck with it from the factory. Trust me ;)

Well if you want to get really into it then the breaks are 85-86 then 87 was unique in that it ran the same injectors as the 85 and 86. 88 was also unique in that it runs the newer injectors with a different impedence. 89-95 are about hte same.

You cannot run a pre 87 or older injector on 88 or newer. As long as its on a 85 or newer 22R power plant its a bolt on. No modifications need to the motor at all other then installing a block off plate to get the Mechanical fuel pump off.

It would be easiest to start with a complete doaner vehicle of the same body style with a blown engine and just swap everything. That will get you the tank, harnessses the works.

Toys are plug and play. The main harness in the cab should accomidate the ECM since . Need to swap the the fuel pump sender to get the sender module that also has the electric fuel pump.

The easiest way to pull this is unplug at the ECM and pull the cable back through the fire wall. Wrap it up over the intake and pull it all as a unit. Don't try to unthread that mess in the vehicle. You run the risk of damaging the harness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles