Micro adventures of the NW rockies

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Looks like a blast! Seems like you've been having a great time exploring all my favorite haunts. The Beartooths are where I do most of my wheeling. Such an amazing area to explore. I have tons of pics of the area in my build thread.

Clean1

Observer
Nice thread MT6bt. I've enjoyed tagging along on your travels keep em coming! Glad to see another Bjj guy on the site, although it has been far to long since I've been able to train. Enjoy your travels!

TRDPaul

Where can I find out about these dirt back roads and free camping locations? I live in Alberta and love Montana and the USA but I am a little hesitant to start camping for free in fear I am on some ones land.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Where can I find out about these dirt back roads and free camping locations? I live in Alberta and love Montana and the USA but I am a little hesitant to start camping for free in fear I am on some ones land.

That's the fun part about it... no one tells you! :D

Seriously though, I've yet to find an all-in-one place that has that kind of information about Montana. Most of the cool places are only spread through word of mouth. There is a 4x4 guidebook about western Montana (http://montana4x4trails.com/), check that out for some of the better backroad routes. Otherwise get in touch with me, I've got good local knowledge of the area west of Missoula and south of there. I also know a bunch of places in southern MT.

MT6bt

Rock hound
Looks like a blast! Seems like you've been having a great time exploring all my favorite haunts. The Beartooths are where I do most of my wheeling. Such an amazing area to explore. I have tons of pics of the area in my build thread.
There is quite a goodly amount of offroading in that area. I look forward to the day when I'm not soloing out there, as I am somewhat apprehensive taking such a large vehicle without the proper extrication equipment.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

MT6bt

Rock hound
Nice thread MT6bt. I've enjoyed tagging along on your travels keep em coming! Glad to see another Bjj guy on the site, although it has been far to long since I've been able to train. Enjoy your travels!
Thanks clean1. Indeed I too have not been training for quite a while. Hurt my back a couple months ago and haven't been able to participate in my favorite art!

Clean1

Observer
Yes sir, I'm in the same boat 1 ruptured disk in lower back and 2 in my neck, but I kind of asked for it between rugby, MMA, Jui-jitsu and powerlifting I had it coming haha. The last time I trained I couldn't feel my left arm for 2 days!! I had to re adjust my priorities at that point. Happy travels and here's to hoping we can train again soon!

MT6bt

Rock hound
Yes sir, I'm in the same boat 1 ruptured disk in lower back and 2 in my neck, but I kind of asked for it between rugby, MMA, Jui-jitsu and powerlifting I had it coming haha. The last time I trained I couldn't feel my left arm for 2 days!! I had to re adjust my priorities at that point. Happy travels and here's to hoping we can train again soon!
Well shoot, I thought I was bad off! Sounds like you have had a lot of fun in your day !
cb3f50b298db93bd809868910e53a3f6.jpg

Haven't really done much adventuring recently, but here's a couple pics of miscellaneous goodness for anyone who wants it
2d8d6b64e5dcdff311722dbe5e9f47c6.jpg

MT6bt

Rock hound
It's been quite a while since I've updated my thread, so I mine as well do so!

9407a3ddf954a68d57e6cc719dfbd508.jpg

I've taken a trip to Minnesota to visit family and friends! The roads were very icy and wind was blowing about 25 mph, not fun! Haven't done much for camping in the truck due to the frigid temperatures, but I did stay the night near Medora. Temps were around 0 degrees Fahrenheit, making for a chilly night!
86e5d047aaf658f31389d4b2be1922de.jpg

Not a whole lot else going on after I reached Minnesota. Hanging out with family and friends, and shooting my new long range 338 lapua magnum out to 1000 yards near my brother's property. This thing is incredibly accurate! I hit exactly what I was aiming for after taking 2 shots to walk in the round (no range finder)
013b5f3b746182ea3056dc0a4fa37e0d.jpg

02496bd5cb4393c87ab7d572afb7e56b.jpg

Aside from that, I'm very pleased to announce that after a year of scouring Craigslist and other rv search engines, I've finally found an alaskan camper! Come next Tuesday, I'll be heading to Tacoma to pick it up.
3747552c8a00a1838d4f22e3162841d0.jpg

4a48cf8b11b67235a56c8a0c7a8f3a45.jpg

14723f66e818b719d0237ed6a31d2691.jpg

It's a 2003 10' front dinette. I'm so excited! I've been looking diligently for far too long.

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Cool looking pics of the winter wilderness and your dog Mr MT. Looks like you are having fun with that rifle too. The new camper looks like a good score. I am sure you are going to love traveling with that new home on the back of your truck. Thanks for posting up. Cheers, Chilli..:wings:

motom

Thanks for all the great photos! Makes me want to travel around Montana!

Good luck with the new camper!

MT6bt

Rock hound
Thanks, y ' all for the compliments :-D. I officially have a professional camera now, so aside from my mediocre narrative, this thread is about to get a lot better!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Nice Alaskan, should be a little warmer. I drove back to work in Williston on the 29th, the weather and roads sucked. Medora is actually a nice part of North Dakota.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles