Micro adventures of the NW rockies

Dalko43

Explorer
Not to brag(too much ;-) ) but it's a 338 lapua magnum. Unless somewhere in this thread I have pics of my 308 as well, not sure!
My pups are old world gsds. Straight backed. Not particularly a big fan of what the AKC has done to the breed.
They're also much larger than standard size: maya comes in at 85 lbs and Elwood at 110. They were bred to have a calm displacement, but they both love to work. Maya has a high prey drive and always wants to work. Elwood is a bit more laid back but in no way is he a couch potato.
Thanks for your support and cheers!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Sorry, I thought I saw you mention a .308 in the Long Range thread. Regardless, target shooting out in some of those remote areas has got to be a blast!

Yeah, couldn't agree with you more in regards to German Shepherds and AKC breeding standards. This breed was created to work and have a functional purpose, not to look pretty in some show ring. Your dogs look to be fine representations of what the breed should be, that's why I asked. I rescued my guy from a shelter; he's definitely got some of the American looks, and is a bit oversized, though not overweight, at 100lbs. But temperament-wise, I lucked out; he's a total goofball and acts like a lap dog around family, but is protective and guarded around strangers. With a fairly high prey drive and curiosity he's always ready to explore, so he's great for what I do. You definitely picked the right breed for your life style.

But I'm getting off topic. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

MT6bt

Rock hound
Thanks buddy. I agree they are definitely best for my lifestyle! Not too many breeds that are as versatile as the GSD. Elwood is a total goofball as well. I call him my "ham" ....for some reason.

Anyway, this weekend was a tough one...I spent almost the entire week in bed with a very impressive cold. Frustrated with laying around for 4 days, I figured some fresh air and a little cardio may help alleviate the illness (I don't think it did at all). I went for a quick trip(montana standards quick) up near white sulfur springs to do some early season shedhorn hunting.
I lucked out. Found a fresh white tail shed set!
ee349a30db4fe62aae84f809cd7a0b31.jpg

Also found a fresh mule deer shed (I'll edit pic in later).
The environment was beautiful: large limestone outcroppings dotted a lush ponderosa pine forest.
795b7b1d42485ec1fc0007d738588979.jpg

Also found this beautiful dead standing remains of an old tree. Almost looks like an artist's work.

d710bb1dc36a5139f831ca4a0ed94466.jpg

bfe965832ab1badb384f5e86a381e8e8.jpg

Not too many pics of this trip, although I have to say that this part of montana is certainly worth checking out again.
I had full intentions of visiting the hot springs here, but didn't get out of the woods until far later than anticipated. Oh well, next time!
Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
Fantastic thread! Keep it coming.

I had to opportunity to spend a month in Kalispell MT and took frequent trips into Glacier, Polebridge, Hungry Horse and the surrounding areas. I instantly fell in love with Montana and have no idea why I still live in the southeastern US. One of my favorite visits was to Firefighter Mountain and the fire tower at it's peak overlooking Hungry Horse Reservoir:

6.jpg

It's very hard to get a sense of scale in Montana. You can be looking at something across a valley and not know if it's 1 mile or 10 miles away, the views are that huge. In the photo above from the right side over to the edge of the reservoir at the horizon on the left is nearly 50 miles. Hard to grasp as you're standing there as everything looks like it's right over there.

Lost Johnny Creek Road on the other side of the reservoir is a excellent as well:

8.jpg

You've provided me with plenty of other areas I need to check out sooner rather than later.

History

Awesome thread. I love the dogs and am so jealous. Keep posting so some of us can live through you until we can live through ourselves. Some day.:ylsmoke:

Sleam

Explorer
Yellowstone camping

Hey there, I'm glad you're still posting as you go along. I can't wait to be out there, sometime in June before the NW Overland Rally is my hope. I'm thinking of going through Yellowstone area and saw that you'd found a free campsite with tables, firepits etc, could you send me directions? Me and the pups would appreciate it! Thanks, S

Oh and I love the recent photo of the view down on Hungry Horse reservoir, again, one of my destinations. Keep it coming please!

11136274_10204888873794756_3704977024337816675_o.jpg

MT6bt

Rock hound
Hey there, I'm glad you're still posting as you go along. I can't wait to be out there, sometime in June before the NW Overland Rally is my hope. I'm thinking of going through Yellowstone area and saw that you'd found a free campsite with tables, firepits etc, could you send me directions? Me and the pups would appreciate it! Thanks, S

Oh and I love the recent photo of the view down on Hungry Horse reservoir, again, one of my destinations. Keep it coming please!

View attachment 337547
There are lots of spots available for free, however, the one on the Yellowstone is becoming more and more difficult to stay at due to a gypsy swarm. I know a few spots still just outside of Gardiner that are quite nice. Other than those, there are lots of free campgrounds up into the woods I could point you to, but their access may still be limited due to road closures. Email me for specifics.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

MT6bt

Rock hound
My apologies to anyone following this thread...my phone broke a couple months ago, leaving me unable to open up my expo profile! I will be sure to update with some adventures I've been on since my last update! But until then, here's me enjoying an amazing day up on the slopes of moonlight basin for their last weekend!
Cheers. :)

1d0df5a246e996201a0322b4bf1e9d6b.jpg

MT6bt

Rock hound
Wow, it's been quite a while since I've been on this thread! Things have been quite busy for me lately, with work, work, and more work occupying my time.
I have managed to get out to the woods several times, but never got around to documenting much of it. Sometimes it seems like actually thinking about what pictures to take and how to properly narrate an adventure can take away from the adventures themselves...
But regardless, I'll try to sum up the last few months in an attempt to catch up!
Made a trip out to the mountains south of butte in the humbug spires for some shed hunting.
First day was somewhat successful: I found one decent elk she'd.
4279ecdb6c6da7da8fa3081223e40575.jpg

3a5ee3586b9c9bbd0359294f1204f401.jpg

The next day was incredibly arduous: the mountains were straight up and straight down the entire time we hiked, and saw no horns. The mountains are beautiful, however.

MT6bt

Rock hound
40bc9ad8dd7d1cd47b65656192ecef34.jpg

f001b4cd316f0ae28ce65e163f649c06.jpg

The next weekend I managed to explore all three drainage of the boulder river. Didn't get too far, because snow covered the road in many spots....and driving up there solo with a 10,000 lb truck and camper didn't seem like a wise idea!
ad0aeb4281e125ab51605368618df65a.jpg
moose!
2a93f9a273617dd34e2187c562474a78.jpg

A picture illustrating cause and effect. Any guesses?
The next day I managed to shed hunt a bit up west fork boulder river. incredible!
96f82a50812971f050eec07354a8adca.jpg
fff6f9d50eb4128ae42c8fde7e80f351.jpg

Last edited:

owyheerat

Adventurer
Wow!!!

I just found this thread and read the entire thing in one sitting. I couldn't walk away. Your sense of adventure and love for life is inspiring. I love that your dogs are with you on every adventure.

I share your love of Filson clothing. Nice double mackinaw!

Keep the updates coming. Threads like this is what makes this forum so special.

Regards

Durwin

Last edited:

MT6bt

Rock hound
I just found this thread and read the entire thing in one sitting. I couldn't walk away. Your sense of adventure and love for life is inspiring. I love that your dogs are with you on every adventure.

I share your love of Filson clothing. Nice double mackinaw!

Keep the updates coming. Threads like this is what makes this forum so special.

Regards

Durwin
Thank you very much! I really appreciate your post. :) I've grown more and more fond of filson products the more I wear them. Their dedication to quality and keeping most of their products stateside is very commendable. That, and in my older age, I'm past being a slave to trends in fashion, and look more for garments that are timeless and functional in the wilderness I often find myself in.

Last edited:

owyheerat

Adventurer
Thank you very much! I really appreciate your post. :) I've grown more and more fond of filson products the more I wear them. Their dedication to quality and keeping most of their products stateside is very commendable. That, and in my older age, I'm past being a slave to trends in fashion, and look more for garments that are timeless and functional in the wilderness I often find myself in.

You're welcome, but really the thanks go to you for taking the time and effort to post your adventures. I post very little, but I appreciate others that do.

I agree with your Filson comments. I just wish I could afford more of their stuff. : )

Durwin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles