Michelin XZL 395/85 R20 on Iveco Eurocargo

Charlie

Hi all.

I've just taken home a modified Iveco Eurocargo ML14E28 4x4 for overland travel. The vehicle is ex military biult in 2007 equipped with XZL 395/85 R20. I was wandering what is the tyre pressure under the following condition: road/piste/dunes.

At the moment tire pressure is 5,5psi.

Thanks all,

Charlie

It depends completely on axle weights front and rear. About 1 bar/1300kg/axle for road use. 67-75% for piste, 40% for dunes, don't go under 1.6 bar unless you have internal bead locks.
And add 0.5 bar for driving long distance on road over 88kph.

Charlie

Charlie

Normally the truck is travelling at around 10 tons and is 4 wheel. We are planning for long distance 12 tons due to extra equipment. So it should be 5 to 6 tons per axle. According to your calculation I shoul have:

4.6 bar on road/3.4 on piste/2.0 for dunes

Sound good?

Just to be safe make it 5.0 bar on road. It would be good to actually weigh axles fully loaded. I found that I am at only 4.4 ton in front but up to 8.1 in rear on my U500. I run 6.6 bar in rear, 4.4 in front on highway.

Charlie

Last edited:

SpudBoy

Observer
Hi Charlie,

I have a 9.5 tonne MAN truck, with the weights at approx 4.5 tonnes on the front axle and 5 tonnes on the rear axle. Our tyres are 425/85 R22.5.

We run 65PSI front and rear on bitumen. 50PSI for dirt roads. And 25PSI for sand.

I'll do some conversions into Bar in a sec. For some reason Australia is metric except we still talk in PSI for air pressure and inches for wheel rims sizes!!

HTH
David

OK:
65PSI= 4.5 Bar
50PSI = 3.5 Bar
25 PSI = 1.7 Bar

Last edited:

Jason F1

Anyone know if there is a formula that can be used for these tyres, i.e. plug in weight per axle and speed?

gregmchugh

Observer
Anyone know if there is a formula that can be used for these tyres, i.e. plug in weight per axle and speed?

Here are the Michelin Truck Tire load vs tire pressure tables, typically you add additional pressure above the minimum for a given tire load to insure safe operation.

There should be specs for tire pressure vs speed somewhere...

Here is an example for Goodyear military tires...

foxhunter

Adventurer
My rig loaded is 10k lb on front axle and 13k rear axle and I run those tires at 60 psi front and 75 psi rear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles