Michael's new (old!) G-wagon

G-force

Adventurer
In regards of underpower, i`m looking at a deasent install. I am currently running the tired old OM 617 N/A. 5 speed manual behind it.

A few G-wagons here in Norway have swapped to the OM 603 with turbo, and no IC. Then with the 722 auto tranny behind it.

The OM 603 (960) is the 6 cylinder, 3 liters diesel engine, normally delivered in the 124 series family estate Mercedes 300 TDT. 147 HP, this without IC!

Some small adjustments to the diesel pressure pump and a huge IC, i hope to have somewhat around 180 HP.

Do you have these estates in the US, to grab these engines from?

By far the best engine to prize ratio, i have ever driven in an G-wagon.

michaelgroves

Explorer
In regards of underpower, i`m looking at a deasent install. I am currently running the tired old OM 617 N/A. 5 speed manual behind it.

A few G-wagons here in Norway have swapped to the OM 603 with turbo, and no IC. Then with the 722 auto tranny behind it.

The OM 603 (960) is the 6 cylinder, 3 liters diesel engine, normally delivered in the 124 series family estate Mercedes 300 TDT. 147 HP, this without IC!

Some small adjustments to the diesel pressure pump and a huge IC, i hope to have somewhat around 180 HP.

Do you have these estates in the US, to grab these engines from?

By far the best engine to prize ratio, i have ever driven in an G-wagon.

It sounds like a good option to investigate. I don't know how much money I want to sink into a vehicle this old, though!

I'm in the UK, btw.

Gurkha

Adventurer
I wouldn't be tempted to swap the excellent OM617 for a 603 which has reputation of being a rod bender if I am not mistaken, also it suffers from head gasket failure as well. The 616 and 617 are the most reliable engines ever to come out of MB stable, they maybe are underpowered but they can take abuse like no other. I currently own the 460 chassis G300 and also have the Gurkha with the OM616 turbo. Both work flawlessly, the G300 has over 200,000 miles and the Gurkha has around 90,000 miles. They work with minimal maintanence and the wear and tear factor is among the lowest. Even though sometimes on highway I feel underpowered when swanky new SUVs pass me by, as soon as I hit the off road and then come back and look at my odometer, my temptations go away.

Last edited:

RgrBox

Adventurer
I though about getting one of these in the beginning.. but the price is over the top here. Puch also makes a version of these that the Austrian military I believe use, and the Swiss Army uses the Merc Model. I think a used ex-military model would be kool to have for a thrash around in.

RB

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
IIRC Styr-Puch makes all G-wagens for MB. Destination determines which badge gets put on it. That may have changed since 1997 though. :)

michaelgroves

Explorer
Yes, Magna, a giant Canadian automotive company, took over Steyr Puch and now manufactures the G Class under contract to MB. Apparently they have recently extended the contract to produce them until 2015. I am pretty sure it's still all done in the same factory as before, it's just a change of ownership and management.

I don't know if the Peugeot version is made in the same factory and rebadged, or whether it is actually made by Peugeot under licence.

Indiana Drew

Observer
Yes, Magna, a giant Canadian automotive company, took over Steyr Puch and now manufactures the G Class under contract to MB. Apparently they have recently extended the contract to produce them until 2015. I am pretty sure it's still all done in the same factory as before, it's just a change of ownership and management.

I don't know if the Peugeot version is made in the same factory and rebadged, or whether it is actually made by Peugeot under licence.

I believe you will find the answer to how the Gs produced under different badges are done if you check the GWOA Forum (462 Dutch to search) ... :costumed-smiley-007

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
Nice looking G! It is great to hear some real life comparisons to the Land Rover product. I am happy with my G and considering I paid under half of what a 10 to 15 year old 110 sells for over here. I am a fan of the Defenders but most 10 to 15 year old 110s are a laughable $50,000 (approx).

I was out on VC Island a couple months ago and saw several of those 4x4 tdi Delica things running around and one for sale. A guy we met said they are basically imported from Japan when they get old enough, etc. What do you think of those things - are they just cheapo or made fairly well?

Of course no comparison to G's, but I'm just curious. Of course it wouldn't be legal in the US, neither would most of the other tdi 4x4's ! :(

Attachments

• vancouver.delica.f.s.jpg
    vancouver.delica.f.s.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 59
  • vancouver.delica.r.s.jpg
    vancouver.delica.r.s.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 42

39Ronin

Adventurer
I was out on VC Island a couple months ago and saw several of those 4x4 tdi Delica things running around and one for sale. A guy we met said they are basically imported from Japan when they get old enough, etc. What do you think of those things - are they just cheapo or made fairly well?

Of course no comparison to G's, but I'm just curious. Of course it wouldn't be legal in the US, neither would most of the other tdi 4x4's ! :(

I have owned 2 of these in the past, the first one for 2.5 years and the second for just over a year. They are built really well, great bang for the buck. I still own a Pajero (Montero) that shares the same engine as the Delica L300 (the version you posted) except the Pajero was intercooled.

I hand picked mine from Japan and both were in exceptional condition. The IP will leak, but rather than it being an engineering flaw it is the Ultra Low Sulpher diesel that seems to dry up the seals when the come to North America. Other than that the engine is really reliable, the transmission and drive train are also strong. IFS in the front (torsion bar) and leaf sprung in the rear.The seat layout is awesome with the middle row of seats reversing or they can face forward. They also fold down into a lumpy bed configuration. When I first got mine they were not very popular but now I think they must be most imported car from the Japan Domestic Market, a close second I believe would be the Nissan Skyline.

You can pick them up for around $8K - $12K in Canada, with usually less than a 100,000 km on the odo.

Sturmy

Observer
I'm a Delica owner over in the UK.
I've had mine now for over 5 years (paid £2800 for it!) and done two trips through the Alps, one trip through Norway and an epic trip through the Iceland interior, plus the usual jaunts to North West Scotland.
Other than changing fluids, brake pads and other consumables it just keeps trundling along! It is the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned. I drive Land Rover Defenders for work and we are constantly throwing $ at them to keep them running. If you think of it as a rough roader rather than an off roader,you won't be disappointed. It took me and the family through Gaesavotn without a problem & I doubt I will ever want to do anything more extreme.
I wanted a VW Synchro, but could not afford the prices they go for here in the UK.
I would still have a G wagen in my lottery win garage as well! along with a Pinz and a Bucher Daro and a Mog etc etc
A few pics of mine at the link below.
Sturmy
http://www.theoverlander.org/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles