MGB2011/12: Central Overland in Central America

Today marks the first official day of a fantastic three-week adventure!

CA Route.JPG

We invite you to stay tuned for stories, travel tips, and tons of photos and videos from throughout our travels in Mexico, Guatemala, and Belize. We'll be doing our best to drop in here for updates, but the website is likely to best place to keep up with all the action.

Take a glance at the map above. It's just a rough outline, and by no means our exact path. If anyone is going to be in the area over the next few weeks and thinks we can link up for a meal or some miles, please give me a shout! Would love to make some new friends.

And if anyone else has their own travel tips to share, please fire away! We're flexible, and definitely interested in your stories and experiences, too.

Thanks for reading along, everyone. Feliz Navidad y Año Nuevo!

Wes

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Looks like your going to Xcalak? If so say hello to Dave & Ilana at Costa de Cocos! Great margaritas and beer right on the Caribbean Sea.
Be safe!

Thanks, everyone.

staticmap

You know we just had to get the site right next to the water.

Lovely moonrise just at midnight. Coyotes howling and yelping. Chilly, but about to get warmed up in the tent. Ready for some good rest, second to final night stateside.

Catch y'all in the a.m.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.052640,-95.088510
Sent from Tapatalk.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.052560,-95.088324
Sent from Tapatalk.

Lots of paisanos loaded with gifts all headed home for the holidays. Traffic suck? Sure. But at least we overlanders don't stand out too much amongst the multitude of other trucks with crap strapped all over them! :D This also means that there are lots of fellow Americans on the road south with us today.

a6934f41-1dbd-8981.jpg

All is well. Mexico is open for adventure!

Will check back in soon.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=27.496557,-99.493493
Sent from Tapatalk.

Made it to SMA, at Weber's camping and tennis club. Small world of overlanders in this place. Should have guessed.

Big day: Spent last night in Nuevo Laredo. Long haul to SMA. 180km at night. No worries at all. Crazy drivers; zero bandits.

Blog coming tomorrow on centraloverland.com

Off to beer, food, & bed. G'night.

Sent from Tapatalk.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324352405.870752.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324352405.870752.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Been way off the radar for days and days, gang. So sorry for the silence. In Guatemala now on the shores of Atitlan. All is well. Will be back in touch soon w/ pics, etc.

Happy New Year!

Sent from Tapatalk.

Finally getting all caught up. Finding a steady internet connection with decent bandwidth down there is not too easy a task. Thus, I decided to return to the states and get the backlog out from here. Sorry to let this thing go dead on ya!

Here is the link to the photo gallery. I'll continue to add more pics as I get them processed. With 1400 of them, it's quite the task!

FROM THE TRIP BLOG:

We sailed through the US gates, across the Rio Grande, and right through the Mexican aduana checkpoint in about ninety seconds flat. We even asked outselves at one point, “Is that it?!”

Oh, no, my friend. It ain't it. Far from it.

CONTINUE READING

I'll drop in excerpts and links as I get them done. Hope you enjoy!

Wes

Looks good!
I live in Aguascalientes, Mexico. I you need some help just let me know. ;)

Sorry I missed this, my friend! Fortunately for us, everything went very well. But, if I'm in the area again, I'll buy you a cold beer in exchange for some local knowledge!

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles