MG Metalworks Van Build

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've had some those days... where it felt like you'd have been better off skipping the day and starting afresh tomorrow. Never works out that way... just feels that way.

Way to keep plugging on.

riNR

Observer
Put down the wrench and slowly back away from the van. I feel you pain! I broke a pair glasses having a hissy fit after I broke the third windshield trying to ease it into my old baja bug.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Have you been giving it the correct doseage of antirejection meds? ;)

Usually settles down after a while but for the first while after a transplant there can be rejection of unfamiliar parts. ;)

Loubaru

Adventurer
-Decision point... remove the front end of the van to get pump out and go through the seals now or run the engine a bit, re-torque the housing and see if the seal re-hydrates itself...engine only has 12 miles on it after all. Could the o-ring really be all dried out??? ugh^2

This project is making me earn every last triumph. It does runs great despite the little things keeping me from moving forward. It is kind of funny that the most complicated things have been the smoothest and stuff like a power steering fitting take so much effort to get fixed.

Not sure what type of pumps these are but I would run it do see if the seal fixes itself.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
The pump is a Bosch high pressure common rail pump. After talking with some other shops, I'm gonna take the chance and run it for a bit.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Well... the Cummins van moved under its own power today. Far enough out of the shop to get a bath at least. :)

The minor fuel leak seems to be getting more minor so that's a bonus. The power steering leaks look to be fixed too. Now I'm just down to enabling the electronics with my 'CAN bridge'...a device to handle communications between the engine, trans and van modules. This is where familiarity with automotive electronics and computer programming come in handy.

UtahX

I've just been a silent fan of this build. Waiting with childhood excitement for every post. Couldn't wait to see this beast put together. Wow! It is seriously so rad looking. Amazing work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BajaVan

Observer
So strange and awesome to hear the Cummins sound coming from that van. Congrats! The end is so very nearly in sight!

-Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles