MG Metalworks Van Build

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I started down the path of making my own air box but I just didn't like how it was turning out. So to the internet I went searching for a possible solution to fit in the tight confines of the van engine compartment. I also had to find something with a few attributes that would adapt well to the space it was going in. Here's what I came up with...

I'm not a huge fan of the logo right there in front but I can fix that if it really starts to bug me. It fits pretty well in the space and the intake is in a good spot once I open up some holes in the inner fender and behind the grill. To mount it I had to take out the battery box sheetmetal and I'll have to fashion a new mount of some sort. I can make the intake piping work now down to the turbo and this doesn't interfere much with the AC lines like the last option did. Just a couple little brackets to make, send off to powder and then it's final assembly time.

Things look tight in there and yeah, some places are tight, but I find that this is easier to work on than when the 5.4L was in it.

It's a van engine bay... tight is to be expected. Compared to a 7.3, it's spacious in there. Ever try changing a Mitsubishi 215 amp alternator (32 lb) on the top of a 7.3 in a van? That's tight :D

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Hood latch relocation day. The intercooler's massiveness forced me into a situation of "find another latch" or "move the stock latch". I chose move the stock latch because it didn't require cutting into the hood, only minor surgery to the upper core support. Using pieces I cut out of the van already and some of the core support itself, I got the shape to look like it is supposed to be that way. Some reinforcements and finishing left to do before it goes off to powdercoating but I'm happy about the outcome. I just need to cut the striker on the hood down a little bit and it will work like stock. It's kind of funny to me that there's actually enough room under the hood to pull this off. :)

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Excellent work as usual.. :D

If anyone complains about your pace, refer them to one of my threads... my 20 year build is now coming up to 26 years.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
For some reason I got a little side-tracked today but the result has me super stoked at the time I'll now save not having to deal with this anymore.

The APPS (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor) that comes in the van is similar to yet worlds apart from the APPS for the Cummins. They are both made by Hella, both share the same connector but the mounting surface to pedal angle is WAY off. Enough that I've been dreading the goofy bracket I'd have to make in order to put the pedal in a comfortable position. Not to mention that I should really have the the seat and flooring at least simulated in the van while I make the bracket so I know it will clear what it needs to. I was pretty much leaving this as one of the last items on the list because I just wasn't excited about dealing with it.

Well...today I was messing around with the ECM on the bench and I thought, "I wonder if the Ford pedal will drive the throttle position monitor on my diagnostic tool? Nope. Won't do it. But wait a second... The portion of the APPS that houses the pedal pivot and the electronics looks very similar to the RAM truck APPS. Let's potentially destroy two $80 parts to see if we can just swap pedal arms..." (actual internal dialogue from earlier).

See, they're close but not close (RAM truck part on left, Ford van on the right). The shape of the pedal is way different but the housing and electronics look like they're related. (pay no attention to the broken clip on the housing)

and then I discover an ******* YES moment!

All the internal parts are the same! I swapped pedal arms, reassembled then hooked up to the ECM. Works like a charm. Full sweep of the APPS (0.00%-100.00%) on my screen and hours saved not having to make a bracket for an oddly shaped Chrysler part. So now I just bolt the pedal in place in the factory location and it will look and feel like the original.

Taking this factory look Cummins swap to a whole new level! ;)

Last edited:

Lionsgarage

Scoutfollower
As someone who works in the repair industry and does engine swaps for a hobby when I find these nuggets out I tend to share the info with only a few so the publication of this scares me, I'm always afraid the engineers are going to find out and change it up and ruin it for us!
But then I bet there is more alike than different the more exotic the electronics get.
Thanks for pioneering for us mortals

mgmetalworks

Explorer
As someone who works in the repair industry and does engine swaps for a hobby when I find these nuggets out I tend to share the info with only a few so the publication of this scares me, I'm always afraid the engineers are going to find out and change it up and ruin it for us!
But then I bet there is more alike than different the more exotic the electronics get.
Thanks for pioneering for us mortals

There are definitely some secrets I've learned that I won't share when it comes to this swap but stuff like this APPS assembly are just examples of how far I'm willing to push to make things work like a factory install. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles