MG Metalworks Van Build

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Only minor trimming needed to fit the grill support in around the intercooler.

I have the hood latch issue figured out. It won't even look like I moved it. :)

The last part in the front that I'm waiting on for fit-up is the aftermarket air box. It looks factory-ish and will blend in well with the van's core support cover. There's a nice little spot for it to sit and draw clean air from inside the fender.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Have you allowed room between the frame rails and intercooler for flex when in extreme situations? Looks awfully tight...

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I started down the path of making my own air box but I just didn't like how it was turning out. So to the internet I went searching for a possible solution to fit in the tight confines of the van engine compartment. I also had to find something with a few attributes that would adapt well to the space it was going in. Here's what I came up with...

I'm not a huge fan of the logo right there in front but I can fix that if it really starts to bug me. It fits pretty well in the space and the intake is in a good spot once I open up some holes in the inner fender and behind the grill. To mount it I had to take out the battery box sheetmetal and I'll have to fashion a new mount of some sort. I can make the intake piping work now down to the turbo and this doesn't interfere much with the AC lines like the last option did. Just a couple little brackets to make, send off to powder and then it's final assembly time.

Things look tight in there and yeah, some places are tight, but I find that this is easier to work on than when the 5.4L was in it.

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
I'm still following this amazing project! If I had to describe you with one word - fortitude. Ummm, yeah make that Forditude for the van!

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Nice find on the intake! Can you please share the part number? I've been procrastinating on ducting my intake and that looks like a good OTS solution. Funny how rice finds it's way in!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Nice find on the intake! Can you please share the part number? I've been procrastinating on ducting my intake and that looks like a good OTS solution. Funny how rice finds it's way in!

The intake/air cleaner is a Injen EVO9002. I had to remove the sheetmetal ribs that hold up the battery tray (then modified one to work as the air cleaner mount). It fits in there pretty good though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles