MG Metalworks Van Build

bcaine

Amazing work and thanks for taking the time to post all the photos. I'm in the middle of trimming/reinforcing my crossmember for ttb swap. Can't wait to see what you come up with for reinforcement.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Wow the front of that engine x-member is cut super high!

I know, right?! Quadvan does put in quite a bit of additional formed parts to add some strength but I think the better route is to not cut as much. I don't even cut the back of the cross member with my suspension parts and the front doesn't need nearly that much trim. I'm adding in some reinforcement for the trac bar mount in my design but that's it.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Man I love progress!!!!

The rear cross members are done and the tank mounting is complete!

Doesn't look like it hangs down too much. I'm still going to build a skid plate for it and maybe tie it into my bumper design.

The filler neck is the last of the challenges with this tank. I have two options, cut into the body a little and route the filler hose around some A/C lines or move the filler neck on the tank farther back and leave the body alone. If I had a way to cut the filler neck out of the tank without filling the inside full of slag and/or shavings, I'd definitely go that route. I'm leaning towards the body mods since it is so wide open right now on the lift. Where the filler neck is now is right under the rear A/C where the lines go up into the cabin.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Maybe I missed it, but is this replacing the old fuel tank or supplementing it?
My future plans included rear underfloor storage and house battery storage etc. BUT I would much rather do a 55 gallon tank out back, and mount larger house batteries under the middle of the chassis.

Looking good either way!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
You do some seriously nice work!:victory:
Hows the pop top prototyp'ing doing? Any pics of it that ya can share?

Thank you!! The pop top is still in the design phase. I just got the 3D scanned models of the van sorted out. I'll have something to show soon though. Now that I have good profiles and cross sections to work with, I can get the top members fit really well to the van...in CAD at least.

Maybe I missed it, but is this replacing the old fuel tank or supplementing it?
My future plans included rear underfloor storage and house battery storage etc. BUT I would much rather do a 55 gallon tank out back, and mount larger house batteries under the middle of the chassis.

Looking good either way!

This is a replacement tank. I have similar plans for batteries and other stuff along the side of the frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles