MG Metalworks Van Build

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
How much room do you have for radiator and intercooler? I see some frame rail sticking out, but it's hard to visualize with out the grille shell.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
How much room do you have for radiator and intercooler? I see some frame rail sticking out, but it's hard to visualize with out the grille shell.

There will be enough room. The radiator fits inside the factory core support and the intercooler will poke out just beyond that.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I would so much rather stick my arms into that engine bay, then a 6.0 PSD engine bay... :Mechanic:

Yeah no doubt!!! There's a lot more room than I was expecting actually. Access from the bottom side is good too.

The intake tube will have to somehow snake through a crowded area but it looks like that is about the only thing that will be "tight" for serviceability. In the picture below...visualize a 3.5" tube taking a 90 deg turn off of the intake horn going forward to the intercooler right about where the brake lines come into the ABS module and over the top of the powersteering/hydroboost lines.

DSC_0831 (1024x685).jpg

That's why I got this frame and body...so I can take the time to make all of this fit right before tearing into my van.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I think it is a great alternative to shortening the stock tank but it doesn't come "bolt on" easy unfortunately.

The cutaways have a few different tank configurations but the most popular I've seen are the 40 gallon and 55 gallon aft-of axle tanks. I haven't measured out a RB van so I don't know if the 55 gal tank would fit in the space under there but it fits with room to spare under an EB.

The filler neck comes out in an inconvenient spot (close to the rear A/C) and I'm not 100% sure how this will play out yet. I might have room to snake around the A/C lines and put in a new filler door at the back of the van. Worst case I'll spin the tank 180 and put the filler out the passenger side...or weld in a new filler tube in the spot I want it. This is probably the biggest challenge to using one of these tanks.

You have easy access to one you know....one that wants a rear aux 55gal tank!
<Head nod>
:elkgrin:

mgmetalworks

Explorer
A little more fussin' with the engine placement and I have what looks like a winning combination! The transmission fits under the body with plenty of clearance....with the one exception that the input speed sensor will be too close to the body to come out of it's mounting boss. It is basically right at the doghouse opening so I believe I can make a small "bump" to gain the clearance I need with minimal trimming to the doghouse cover.

Here's a shot of the trans clearance to the floor
20150727_172914 (1024x576).jpg

mgmetalworks

Explorer
So, what is the biggest challenge facing you now?,

#1 Getting time away from my J.O.B.
#2 Programming my "integration" modules.

Without a doubt, the biggest challenge is time. I can get through all of the fabrication and electronics stuff without much trouble now....if I get time in the shop. I'm pulled in too many directions to get a lot of time for working on van projects.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

Without a doubt, the biggest challenge is time. I can get through all of the fabrication and electronics stuff without much trouble now....if I get time in the shop. I'm pulled in too many directions to get a lot of time for working on van projects.

I will reduce my emails to you ObiWon. :sombrero:

SHAFT

Observer

Sucks being an overworked genius, eh? Tell ya what, why not pick an upcoming 100 degree day to come sit in my coastal driveway to relax, drink some fort brew supplied by me, and critique my van? Price of admission, you ask? Only bringing a plasma cutter, says I.

Deal?:)

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Sucks being an overworked genius, eh? Tell ya what, why not pick an upcoming 100 degree day to come sit in my coastal driveway to relax, drink some fort brew supplied by me, and critique my van? Price of admission, you ask? Only bringing a plasma cutter, says I.

Deal?:)

DUDE!!! I'd be all over that offer if it weren't for the fact that the Optima Batteries SEMA van will be at my shop later this week. I have 45 days to do A LOT of stuff on that van before it heads south for several events and then the SEMA show in Vegas. I don't think I'll even have time to sleep until early October.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
DUDE!!! I'd be all over that offer if it weren't for the fact that the Optima Batteries SEMA van will be at my shop later this week. I have 45 days to do A LOT of stuff on that van before it heads south for several events and then the SEMA show in Vegas. I don't think I'll even have time to sleep until early October.

Livin' the life!! :coffeedrink:

FarmerFrederico

Adventurer
Nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94