MG Metalworks Radius Arm/Coil Spring Axle Conversion for E-series Vans

cjken

Explorer
MG
Has anyone "De-Quiged" a van with your kit yet.
If so would one have to lift the rear at all. I don't hate my quigley, but there is an attraction to bigger brakes and a bit more travel up front.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
MG
Has anyone "De-Quiged" a van with your kit yet.
If so would one have to lift the rear at all. I don't hate my quigley, but there is an attraction to bigger brakes and a bit more travel up front.

Quigley cuts off the axle-side trac bar mount so if your intent is to keep the Quigley axle, then it isn't that easy of a swap. Something would have to be done about the trac bar. If you swap out the axle it becomes an easy de-Quig.

cjken

Explorer
I think I'd source a new axle. This way I could get the bigger brakes. Would I be able to hook up the ABS without difficulty?
Down side is I have the old bolt pattern on the rear and of course all my rims.
I'm guessing I could re-use the front springs that I got from Ramsey. Also Fox shocks and steering stab (maybe???) not sure they would be correct length.
Is front sway bar design different as well?
I may be looking for a late spring/early summer project.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I think I'd source a new axle. This way I could get the bigger brakes. Would I be able to hook up the ABS without difficulty?
Down side is I have the old bolt pattern on the rear and of course all my rims.
I'm guessing I could re-use the front springs that I got from Ramsey. Also Fox shocks and steering stab (maybe???) not sure they would be correct length.
Is front sway bar design different as well?
I may be looking for a late spring/early summer project.

If you're going for an axle swap, get yourself a '13+ axle for the big brakes. The ABS will plug in once you change the van side connector and terminal to match the truck wiring (parts readily available online). The Fox shocks that I've been using for this swap are the same base part number as the Agile RIP shocks and the springs are likely the same ones I've been using too. Sway bar is '08-up E-series with some adapter pieces and a different year end links.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Hey guys just wanted to give an idea on how to attach the stock e350 sway bar to the new axle for this conversion. I just re attached it again tonight because I had been without it for this long and wanted to see if I noticed a good/bad/no difference with it on. After a short drive I didn't notice too much of a difference other than less sway with it on (surprise surprise right?!). If I was going to be driving on anything other than pavement most of the time I wouldn't advise running one, because it makes the cab a lot more unpleasant. But for on the freeways or if you are towing heavy it doesn't seem like it hurts having it on the van and definitely stiffens up the ride.

Heres what I did reusing my stock sway bar and hardware to attach it to the frame -

First check the bolt dimensions that hold the sway bar onto the frame and get a drill bit and tap for that bolt size, don't forget lube and drill. Then get two of the Moog K80015 Sway Bar Links off of Amazon for around 20$.

Basically I just moved the sway bar forward on the frame by using the forward most stock hole as the rear hole on the sway bar mounting bracket and then drilling and tapping on the frame where the front bolt on the sway bar mounting bracket would go. Once thats done, re attach the sway bar to the frame and on the axle, using two of the Moog K80015 Sway bar links, you can get both of them on amazon for around 20$.

I dont have any pictures, but I can get some tomorrow if someone is interested in going this route.

Ranchero

Wanderer
Would love to see your sway bar mounting pics when you have a chance Josh. On a related note, I installed a steering stabilizer. I haven't driven too much with it yet, but it does seem to dampen things up a bit.

TrevorK

I would also appreciate the swaybar photos. I'm still working on my axles and rebuilding my transfercase, but I have one of MGs braket kits waiting to go under my 2002.

I had swaybar links for my Jeep with a pin for a quick disconnect. Has anyone here looked for something similar for the F-series or another vehicle that could be adapted?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
There isn't much to a sway bar link so if the ends match the sway bar and the axle mounts and they're the right length and nothing is bound up when they are installed, go for it.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Ask and you shall receive...

Here is a photo showing how its mounted on the frame. Notice the clean part on the frame where it used to be mounted and how it was moved forward using the forward most hole as the rear hole. The frame does have a lip there that makes the bracket have to be twisted just slightly to clear so it sits flush.
IMG_0763.jpg

Here is a photo showing how in this configuration with the Moog K80015 sway bar links it sits nice and level.
IMG_0762.jpg

Drivers side.
IMG_0745.jpg

Passenger side. Ignore how the Moog sway bar isn't bent, Amazon sent me the wrong one and I didn't feel like dealing with it because it gets the job done.
IMG_0746.jpg

If you guys have any more questions feel free to ask!

Jsweezy

Explorer
I wanted to take my trailer on my normal route I do twice a month and see how it handles, and then after that I'll probably take it off.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Thanks to photobucket and their extortion attempt...photo links broken. I'll get them back up someday.

The kit is still available. Planning another production run soon.

another_mike

Adventurer
If you're going for an axle swap, get yourself a '13+ axle for the big brakes. The ABS will plug in once you change the van side connector and terminal to match the truck wiring (parts readily available online). The Fox shocks that I've been using for this swap are the same base part number as the Agile RIP shocks and the springs are likely the same ones I've been using too. Sway bar is '08-up E-series with some adapter pieces and a different year end links.

I notice two sway bars for the 08+, 7/8" and a 1", which do you suggest?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles