MG Metalworks Radius Arm/Coil Spring Axle Conversion for E-series Vans

onemanarmy

Explorer
Had no idea ARB made an E-series front bumper. First one I've ever seen. I like it.

If you were starting with a 2wd van, would you use the same T case as all the other converters out there?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Had no idea ARB made an E-series front bumper....

ARB doesn't make an E-series bumper... I modified one for a 2008 F-series and made some adapter mounts to fit it to the E-series frame

If you were starting with a 2wd van, would you use the same T case as all the other converters out there?

I like the simplicity of the NV271 (plus the availability). Cheap and easy, not to mention tough. The NV273 (ESOF - electronic shift on the fly) is my choice for my own van. Not too complicated from a wiring stand point and they're also readily available.

I just bought an axle! I didn't get a super screaming deal, but fair market value from what I have found over the past month of looking and calling. It was so hard to find one that was still attached to a truck as most places had already parted everything out including all the linkage and brake stuff. Most wanted $1500-$2000 for just the bare axle and then I'd have to track everything else down. I just bought one from New Mexico and I am getting everything including the drive line, radius arms, all steering linkage, brakes, ABS wiring, and hardware for $2100 shipped no sales tax. 2015 F250 with 47k miles from a state with no salt and no rust. They guy was impressed with the project and looked at everything closely for me. They are gonna take care to make sure all the hardware and everything is included.

Plus the first round of goodies from Ujoint arrived! The build day is growing closer.....

Ranchero

Wanderer
I just bought an axle! I didn't get a super screaming deal,...Snip, Snip...
Plus the first round of goodies from Ujoint arrived! The build day is growing closer.....

Sweet Backcountry! That seems like a good deal. I paid $1000 for a 2013 with 40k miles, but the locking hubs had been taken off and I didm't get the hardware for the radius arms. I think it was a good deal since I'm going to do a Dynatrac no-spin kit anyway, which includes the locking hubs. I also picked up a Sterling rear axle. Both have 4.30s so I won't have to re-gear. I've placed orders with MG and UJOR. Slowly collecting parts and reading about rebuilding my 4r75e

I noticed you had a 90s V10. Is your tranny a 4r100? If so, are you going to do a full rebuild when you change the tailshaft and output housing? Or is that necessary with that tranny?

Sweet Backcountry! That seems like a good deal. I paid $1000 for a 2013 with 40k miles, but the locking hubs had been taken off and I didm't get the hardware for the radius arms. I think it was a good deal since I'm going to do a Dynatrac no-spin kit anyway, which includes the locking hubs. I also picked up a Sterling rear axle. Both have 4.30s so I won't have to re-gear. I've placed orders with MG and UJOR. Slowly collecting parts and reading about rebuilding my 4r75e

I noticed you had a 90s V10. Is your tranny a 4r100? If so, are you going to do a full rebuild when you change the tailshaft and output housing? Or is that necessary with that tranny?

You did get a great deal on that if it was complete other than the hubs and hardware!

Yeah, like I said, I don't think I got a super smokin' deal on my axle. I'd call it "fair market value". But I called on nearly every single one on car-part.com and people and parts were either A. unwilling to help or walk out to the yard to take photos, B. Wouldn't return a phone call, C. Wanted a credit card number and paperwork saying I'd buy it if it was complete BEFORE sending photos (Gundies in WA) D. the axle was off the truck and stripped of everything and then they still wanted $1500-$1800 for the bare axle. OR they said they had a good axle until they actually went to go look at the truck and the front end was totally destroyed. I looked for a month and a half!

I was happy to find this one at all and the guy down in NM was really helpful, sent a ton of photos of the truck, photos of the axle after they pulled it, and photos of the crate ready for shipping. He quoted me $1800 for the axle and $200 shipping. A few hours after I made initial contact with him and was still calling around/ waiting to hear back on a few other axles, he called to back to say somebody else called him, doing a similar project, and was really interested in that axle. He could have just been being a sales guy (I use this line sometimes at my store too), but I wasn't going to take the chance after how much effort it was to find one that was still attached to the truck and wrecked in the rear. I budgeted $2000 for the axle and I jumped on it.

I really looked at going the 4.30 route as well. When looking at the cost of this entire project, I just didn't have the money to re gear the back at the present time. I scored a 2000 E350 Club Wagon XLT parts van with a blown motor for $375 (!) and it has a 10.5 rear with 3.55 in it. I will eventually build that up with a LSD or a locker, not sure which, and then re gear the front. That's a down the road project. At that point I am probably going to go to 4.56 as the 4.30 is almost back to stock with 35" tires.

My van has a manufactured date of 12/97 which means it was one of the last to roll off the line with E40D. They went to the 4R100 on 1/98. Bummer cause that parts van has a 4R100 and I could have had that rebuilt while the old one was still in my van and driveable. A swap is totally possible, but Chris at Ujoint didn't recommend it. He said once the E40D is rebuilt to a "built" level it's a great unit. My E40D does need a total rebuild. It shifts crappy and OD is going out. I am planning on bulletproofing the thing while it is apart for new tail housing.

MG sent the invoice yesterday and I am going to Pay Pal him today. I got the order into Ujoint about 2 weeks ago so I still have about 4 more weeks to wait for the rear springs. My wheel spacers arrived though!

Discount Tire has a pretty good sale going on today and tomorrow for Labor Day. I'm off to place my order for 5 315/70-17 Wrangler Duratracs on 5 MB 352 wheels. Woo hoo! Money out the door!

Jsweezy

Explorer
Congrats on the axles guys! I'm pumped to hear about how much you love the kit as well. I drive mine daily and am still smiling.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Wow, MG already invoiced you for a kit? I've supposedly been on this list before you were even a member on this forum. Good for you!

Wow, MG already invoiced you for a kit? I've supposedly been on this list before you were even a member on this forum. Good for you!

I've been emailing and hounding him a lot. I think he pretty much knows who the first group of kits are going to. I would imagine you are in the first group? I certainly didn't ask to jump ahead of anybody. Seems like a question for MG.

Congrats on the axles guys! I'm pumped to hear about how much you love the kit as well. I drive mine daily and am still smiling.

My little bro, Petrolburner on here, lives over in Redmond, OR. I get over to visit a few times a year. I'll have to drop you a line if I'm in the area. Our mom moved out to Portland and I am sure I will swing to meet MG when I am in the area.

I am getting beyond excited for this. I am also really happy I decided to take this on DIY. It's gonna feel so much better having done it myself rather than paying somebody else. Now I can get one of those cool Jeep stickers that says "Built, not Bought." I've never attempted a project of this magnitude before. I'm gonna learn a lot and it's going to come out awesome.

Johny5

Adventurer
Just a tip for guys looking for the axles , put a wanted add on Craigslist . I have bought 3 sets of axles and not payed over $500 . There is no market for these axles and a ton of dead trucks out there.

Just a tip for guys looking for the axles , put a wanted add on Craigslist . I have bought 3 sets of axles and not payed over $500 . There is no market for these axles and a ton of dead trucks out there.

What year axles were those? The beauty of MG's new kit is you can utilize axles out of trucks that are just a few years old. Hence low miles, less rust, and don't require a rebuild.

I have heard of plenty of axles available for the 99-04 that Ujoint uses being had for less than $500. However most of those need a total rebuild as they have over 200k miles on them. You're looking at $4500+ to do all the work and buy all the parts. Mine has 47k miles, was $2100 total, is complete, and I can bolt it in and not have to do anything to it for years. Hopefully.

Your tip is a very good one for folks in large markets. I'd totally recommend trying this even in smaller markets as well, cause why not? I tried this in Boise but to no avail. The next major city is Salt Lake and its 5 hours away.

I opted for car-part.com and put out a quote request two times and only got one lame response with something that didn't match what I was looking for. In the end it took checking every day for new ones to pop up and calling right away. Plus, time was starting to run short cause I need my van 4WD by the time snow flies!

philos

Explorer
Maybe $4500 if you're paying someone, but that still seems excessive.
There's an lkq I use that has clean axles for decent prices. I've seen 05'+ axles on eBay for 2-300 not looking too evil.
I paid $450 for a rather nice 99-04 axle in 2014. Sold it here for same price after I bought a TTB for $75.00

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe $4500 if you're paying someone, but that still seems excessive.
There's an lkq I use that has clean axles for decent prices. I've seen 05'+ axles on eBay for 2-300 not looking too evil.
I paid $450 for a rather nice 99-04 axle in 2014. Sold it here for same price after I bought a TTB for $75.00

I seem to remember pulling that $4500 from reading VANdiana's original thread. I've seen that number mentioned elsewhere as well. That's for a complete inside out overhaul and I am sure there are many out there that could be done for much less.

I probably paid a bit much for mine looking at the eBay stuff. Although, mine did include all the hardware as well as the front driveshaft which will save some time and money for sure. But my time is also worth money and I am headed into one of my busiest work times of the year. I was growing short of time to order and getting tired of shopping for axles. I probably could have saved $300-$500 had I been a little more patient or had more time. A good lesson for others reading this thread and looking into MG's kit that you can find axles for cheaper than I did.

I was set on a 2012+ for the bigger brake rotors with low miles and there are very few of those on eBay. Mine is a 2015. You are absolutely correct though, there are cheaper axles to be had. The bottom line is I am ok with what I paid for the axle I am getting. Bolt it on and go. Hell, it even has brand new brake pads installed.

This project is already going to be more than I have undertaken in my life as far a vehicle mod goes. I didn't want to throw learning how to refurbish an axle on top of it. This is yet another reason I went with MG's kit. Drill some holes, install some bolts, make a few connections, and it should be just that easy. I can handle that.

philos

Explorer
An axle from Ujoint (stage one, 99-04) is $3995.
But yeah, time is money.

In the interest of accuracy, I dug through Brad's VANdiana thread. I stand corrected. $3500 is what he spent with the re-gear. I guess I had that $4500 number in my head from looking at Ujoint Stage II with the LSD ($4995 actually). I'm still ok with what I paid. $2100 including shipping is still a lot less than $3500 +shipping. Doing the work of the install myself is what really saves the $$$. MG, I don't think we hijacked ya at all here since it's all really pertinent to your kit and folks looking for info on which way to go. Hope you feel the same.

As promised here is a parts and price breakdown for the D60 build;

• 2004 Ford Dana 60 $350
  • Re-gear to 4.10 with new R&P, new bearings, new yoke, labor, and tax $1200
  • Moog Unit bearings (BCA515056) 2@$217.99 $435.98
  • Caliper (A1 18-B4790) $39.79+$50 Core $89.79
  • Caliper (A1 18-B4791) $39.79+$50 Core $89.79
  • Rotor (PR BR54078) 2@$34.79 $69.58
  • Brake Pad (RAYATD824M) $43.79
  • Ball Joint (MOG K8607T) 2@$46.89 $93.78
  • Ball Joint (MOG K80026) 2@$30.89 $61.78
  • Universal Joint (PRE 374) 2@$32.79 $65.58
  • Sway Bar Bushing (ME MK80072) $5.61
  • Wheel Seal (BRS84) 2@$16.76 $33.58
  • Axle Shaft Seal (TIM 710494) 2@$41.79 $83.58
  • UJOR Steering Kit $625
  • Anchor Plate Bolts (W710517-S439) $30
  • Warn Locking Hubs (WRN-388-26) $218.90

TOTAL- $3496.74 ***Does not include shipping, as it varies from region to region. I purchased most of my parts from rockauto.com. These part numbers are from my bill of sale. Make sure you verify compatibility prior to ordering.***

Thoughts and lessons;

1. Try to find an axle that is complete. It will keep you from chasing parts down, and you will have cores.
2. Re-gearing is the most expensive part, so try to find an axle geared how you want it.
3. You can save some money buying cheaper parts, but not much.
4. Some investment in special tools is needed, so factor that into your decision.
5. The actual mechanical skill needed to do the rebuild is moderate, but good problem solving is a must.
6. Chris at UJOR has really good pricing on his axle builds. I pretty much only saved the freight and crating costs doing this myself.
7. The experience and confidence I gained building my own axle was worth the hassle.

Hopefully, this will help some of you who are on the fence about building the axle yourself or having Chris or another outfit do it. My advice is that if you are confident in your skills and like the feeling of building your own stuff, then go ahead and do it yourself. On the flip side, if you are not as skilled as you would like, don't have the tools, time, or energy to do your own build, then UJOR has very reasonable pricing, and we all know there is quality behind their work.

Thanks again for looking,

Brad

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior