MG Metalworks Radius Arm/Coil Spring Axle Conversion for E-series Vans

Petrolburner

Explorer
When you mention bump travel, are you measuring right above the bump stops? 4" that far inboard might be equal to say ~8" of wheel travel. Wheel travel is what's important, but you'd have to pull the spring out to measure it.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
When you mention bump travel, are you measuring right above the bump stops? 4" that far inboard might be equal to say ~8" of wheel travel. Wheel travel is what's important, but you'd have to pull the spring out to measure it.

Only with regards to articulation... not actual compression (bump) travel like hitting a whoop or pothole or anything else at driving speed.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
DSC_1352.jpg

is this photo part of your construction process making the kit, or part of the owner's process installing the kit? I guess I'm asking if there's welding required.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
is this photo part of your construction process making the kit, or part of the owner's process installing the kit? I guess I'm asking if there's welding required.

I'm using an old axle housing as my welding fixture in that picture. All the parts are fully welded and ready to bolt on. I'll post some pictures of the kit parts soon. I just got some back from powdercoating.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Mwilliamshs - just to help clarify, this kit is stupid simple. 5 brackets and they all have their defined place that you would have an extremely hard time screwing up. Once in place, drill the holes (very easy with a cheap right angle drill, sharp bit and cutting fluid) and then put the bolt through the hole.

MG has taken all of the guess work out of it by using pre existing frame holes and mounting locations which was great for the install.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I'd love to see a 75-91 kit offered. The simplicity and coils, etc make this kit just awesome. I mean, even the radius arms are OE Ford! A friend who's been camping with us recently (packing gear on dirtbikes, not van camping) is van shopping and looking for a 4wd and he's got the cash to do as he pleases. He found this page before I got a chance to mention it to him so I'm posting here to say, Hey, Kevin, buy a newer van and let's get this kit under it asap.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Just figured something else out that everyone may be interested in knowing with this kit.

With this kit, rear 4" springs and 33s my van is less than 8' and will still fit in parking garages. :wings:

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I'd love to see a 75-91 kit offered. The simplicity and coils, etc make this kit just awesome. I mean, even the radius arms are OE Ford! A friend who's been camping with us recently (packing gear on dirtbikes, not van camping) is van shopping and looking for a 4wd and he's got the cash to do as he pleases. He found this page before I got a chance to mention it to him so I'm posting here to say, Hey, Kevin, buy a newer van and let's get this kit under it asap.

If there were a big enough market for it, a kit for the 3rd gen Econolines could be a reality. I'm not committing to anything yet but from what I've seen, it looks doable. I can say one thing...I'm not funding the development myself. I don't have a 3rd gen and probably won't have one any time soon so if folks want it to happen, someone would have to step up and be first.

If there were a big enough market for it, a kit for the 3rd gen Econolines could be a reality. I'm not committing to anything yet but from what I've seen, it looks doable. I can say one thing...I'm not funding the development myself. I don't have a 3rd gen and probably won't have one any time soon so if folks want it to happen, someone would have to step up and be first.

Opportunity knocks for some lucky 3rd gen guy. However, Pop Top first! :bigbossHL:

blakeape

Adventurer
I am very interested in this conversion. Strong work MG!
Did all 2005 + coil sprung Ford 4x4's get Dana 60's or are there coil sprung Dana 50's out there? F250, F350, Gas, Diesel, V8, V10 all should have a Dana 60 front correct?
Thanks
Jake

Myvanisbetter

Observer
I have a Clydesdale van which is a coil sprung 60 that looks pretty similarly setup to this, however, I like the idea of the push forward.

Could I use just the brackets for the push?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I am very interested in this conversion. Strong work MG!
Did all 2005 + coil sprung Ford 4x4's get Dana 60's or are there coil sprung Dana 50's out there? F250, F350, Gas, Diesel, V8, V10 all should have a Dana 60 front correct?
Thanks
Jake

All 60s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior