MG Metalworks Radius Arm/Coil Spring Axle Conversion for E-series Vans

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
They're all different and evaluations are subjective, why its great that we have a variety of choices these days!

I'll be making some comparison videos once V8 is mobile. I've had the leaf vs coil conversation so many times it makes my head spin, I hope the videos will help guys decide between the two because I really don't want to have that convo anymore although its inevitable. For some vans it just makes more sense to go coil (late model RSC rigs) and some it makes more sense to go leaf (heavier rigs)

I've built the coil spring 4x4 conversion parts page on the site, planning a full launch Thursday with a full geek Facebook live video revealing of V8. So if you're a FB user, tune in. The van is coming along and the entire UJ crew is super excited about it.

Jsweezy

Explorer
For the most precise comparison I think Josh's would need to have the same front bumper/winch, 35's, and Fox Factory reservoirs...then compare again.

I agree, go ahead and drop them off sometime! ha ha

Awesome review, thanks for sharing!

Jsweezy

Explorer
Having said that, mine and Josh's vans are similar configurations but there are pretty huge differences now, as Jeremy pointed out. Easily enough differences to effect ride and handling. My van is riding on 18x9 wheels with 4.5" backspacing, heavy 35x12.50 Cooper ST maxx tires, front bumper and winch, rear bumper with tire carrier and box, interior is insulated. Josh runs lower tire pressure, stock wheels, smaller tires, we're running different shocks. I think josh is using a steering damper right now while I'm not. Caster can be adjusted on Josh's while mine is fixed (3.8* on mine, not sure on Josh's). My van gained a lot of weight during my conversion, but again I'm running heavier tires, bumpers, winch, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if my van has 800lbs or more over Josh's.

No steering damper or sway bar at the moment, I am probably going to run a steering damper here soon but I don't really know why, I think I just want to see how noticeable it is when I take it off after driving with it for an extended period of time. My caster is currently at 4.8ish.

Thanks for chiming in!

Jsweezy

Explorer
Another axle stripped and ready for some minor cleaning and then MG's Kit! This ones going to be going under a beautiful silver EB Passenger V10 E350...

7210E080-1953-4E0F-B07D-03A6FCE91BE5_zpswmnnausr.jpg

Razzzor

Looking good Jsweezy, Getting close! I'll start a build thread in a few weeks.

RK

Another axle stripped and ready for some minor cleaning and then MG's Kit! This ones going to be going under a beautiful silver EB Passenger V10 E350...

7210E080-1953-4E0F-B07D-03A6FCE91BE5_zpswmnnausr.jpg

Last edited:

Timjim

Observer

That wasn't that nice low miles Silver one that was for sale in Portland at a dealer last month was it??

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
That sounds like a pretty fair assessment. Last week I finally got my steering all worked out, it was handful of little things. I don't want to clog up this thread but it had to do with track bar and leaf spring alignment (push/pull effect), working out different torque values etc. I made several different adjustments, and went back to a tape measure alignment that always seems to work so much better for me on solid axle rigs. So much happier as mine finally tracks straight down the road like it should. Bumps and rough roads also feel much better, now that the front end is dialed in.

Having said that, mine and Josh's vans are similar configurations but there are pretty huge differences now, as Jeremy pointed out. Easily enough differences to effect ride and handling. My van is riding on 18x9 wheels with 4.5" backspacing, heavy 35x12.50 Cooper ST maxx tires, front bumper and winch, rear bumper with tire carrier and box, interior is insulated. Josh runs lower tire pressure, stock wheels, smaller tires, we're running different shocks. I think josh is using a steering damper right now while I'm not. Caster can be adjusted on Josh's while mine is fixed (3.8* on mine, not sure on Josh's). My van gained a lot of weight during my conversion, but again I'm running heavier tires, bumpers, winch, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if my van has 800lbs or more over Josh's.

But at the end of the day, they ARE both great setups. I had my mind set on a ujoint setup for quite a while, a very specific picture in my head and went with it. I wanted to pick and choose my components and have everything overhauled and sent as a complete kit. MG was just working out his setup as I was searching for my van, I drove his van before he pulled his engine and it felt great.

If I started a new build again, I wouldn't hesitate to run MG's setup. It is a very simple setup, very factory looking. There is definitely less weight, less bracketry, less work to install and setup. Obviously it would be easy to swap different springs to adjust ride height and spring rate. You can adjust caster more easily. I'm pretty sure MG is using a stock length pitman arm which should be more friendly with RSC, due to the steering angle sensor. RSC is still disabled on my rig (lots of dash lights and warning chimes) as it has always been too intrusive since the ujoint install. Though I'm not sure RSC wouldn't be annoying to me with either setup honestly. I would guess that I drive and corner faster than most of the 4x4 van crowd.

Great to hear you got the front end adjusted and dialed in again. I can't wait to drive it again!

So when are you taking delivery of your new van? 
Also surprised you didn't include observations of Vandiana on the same route.

New van? Who said anything about a new van? :smiley_drive: :sombrero:

That rig is also very different from Josh's. 35s, roof rack and tent, RB. Also that loud and heavy diesel which presents a much different driving experience. ;)
True. I also have newly updated UJOR shock mounts, new Fox 2.0's and Fox steering stabilizer waiting to install on VANdiana. I think after that it'd be a better comparison with Josh's and Brian's.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
They're all different and evaluations are subjective, why its great that we have a variety of choices these days!

I'll be making some comparison videos once V8 is mobile. I've had the leaf vs coil conversation so many times it makes my head spin, I hope the videos will help guys decide between the two because I really don't want to have that convo anymore although its inevitable. For some vans it just makes more sense to go coil (late model RSC rigs) and some it makes more sense to go leaf (heavier rigs)

I've built the coil spring 4x4 conversion parts page on the site, planning a full launch Thursday with a full geek Facebook live video revealing of V8. So if you're a FB user, tune in. The van is coming along and the entire UJ crew is super excited about it.

Looking forward to this Chris, thx!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
This should draw some attention.

15622215_1387024734650084_2020830163068073785_n.jpg

I posted some pics on our build thread, even more on Facebook, coil page is up and running on the website!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior