Mexico insurance

biggoolies

Adventurer
Having trouble getting Mexican insurance and crossing on Saturday. One company refused to insure my fuso expedition truck since it is a commercial truck even though it is registered in Canada as an RV. Any advice on a company that will insure these trucks for Mexico?!!

clarkh

Observer
Call Baja Bound. They were able to insure my custom camper but they had to get it approved by underwriting or something

Grenadiers

Adventurer
We use Lewis & Lewis on our Saurer. Liability only, no point in full coverage, how would they rebuild it? It can’t be done. We buy a years worth and renew, we go to Mexico a lot.

biggoolies

Adventurer
Arrived in Mexico two hours ago. I was thinking of liability only. But surely they must be able to do rebuilds on our vehicles? Also in case of theft I got it.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Well, give them a call, our truck is rather obscure, yours isn’t. They offered full coverage to ours, but the cost and availability of parts made the decision.

biggoolies

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. Maybe next time will consider liability only. Bought my insurance for this trip already. It is going to be a great 5 months!!

dlh62c

Explorer
If I remember correctly, the GVWR on the Fuso is over 14,000lbs.

Have you source your TIP yet?

Or are you confining your travel plans to just Baja and not the Mainland?

Some policies will pay for the repairs back in the states at US labor rates. Otherwise the repairs will have to be done in Mexico.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
'Some policies will pay for the repairs back in the states at US labor rates. Otherwise the repairs will have to be done in Mexico.[/QUOTE]'

Our US State Farm Insurance would not offer full coverage, hence, liability all around for both countries. Biggest concern, in my opinion, are breakdowns, or full mechanical failure.

dlh62c

Explorer
If your in country travel window is short, you can always fly back down and drive the vehicle back after repairs have been made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles