Metsa Wood Large Plywood Panels

akhummer

https://www.metsawood.com/global/Products/plywood/birch-plywood/Pages/XL-kingsize-plywood.aspx.

I’ve been searching for oversized marine plywood for a future camper build and came across this UK based manufacturer of industrial wood products. It looks like some of their sheet goods come in sizes up to 8 feet wide and 20 feet long. The website references it’s use in truck, bus, and rail cars construction. I haven’t priced it yet or looked at it US availability, but would appreciate feedback from anyone who is familiar with it.

DzlToy

Explorer
...or you could just make sandwich panels in whatever size you need, save a bunch of weight and keep wood out of your camper. :D

Talk to anyone who has an old (10 - 15 years in age or older), camper, boat or trailer with wood and ask how it is holding up. I am astonished that people still build campers using wood in this day and age. Wood is for cabinets and flooring in houses, not for boats or campers that see moisture, vibration and massive temperature changes.

EDIT: a half inch thick, 5' x 10' sheet of plywood weighs 80 - 100 pounds depending on the species of wood and has an R-value of virtually nothing; wood = R-1 per inch. Contrast this with a SIP or sandwich panel of the same dimension that weighs 25 pounds and has an R-value of 2.5. Wood rots, twists, warps, burns, holds moisture and bugs eat it. Sandwich panels have none of these problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94