Metal Vs. ceramic brake pads

Kalakmerb

Can anyone offer any comparison between ceramic and metal brake pads? I've been running Metal Master pads on my 62 for about 3 years now and have liked them, but when I get to the point of installing a pair of DBA slotted rotors (which will hopefully be soon, since my current rotors are getting pretty worn) I'll be putting on new pads also. Should I stick with the Metal Master pads, or order the ceramic pads that Man-A-Fre sells? The prices are the same, so it's just a matter of finding out which ones are better
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Check out Сar Wrenching article. They do what your wanting to do. https://carwrenching.com/best-upgrades-for-6-4-powerstroke/

Last edited:

Alloy

With the copper free brake pad initiative there's probably not much difference.

MOAK

Adventurer
Let me clarify, I know nothing of the new metallic pads. I do know I’ve been using ceramic pads for multiple decades on a variety of vehicles. My 80 series has top of the line pads from, of all places, Auto Zone. They are guaranteed for life and I’m on my second free set. Ceramic pads have always lasted 40-50 thousand miles even on my very heavy 80 series that is dragging a 1/2 ton trailer for about 10,000 miles a year. Like batteries there are only a handful of brake pad manufacturers, so it wouldn’t surprise me if that 150 dollar set of ceramics isn’t much different than the sets that I originally purchased for my 80 at around 50 bucks. On a side note, I’ve had my 80 now for 125,000 miles coming up on 7 years of ownership and I do not see the necessity in upgrading my braking system. I’m very pleased with how they function, keeping in mind, of course, that I am propelling a vehicle and small trailer at highway speeds that scales out at just under 8,000 lbs fully loaded. It is, for all intent and purposes a truck, and I drive it as such. Good luck with your decision. ??

shade

Can anyone offer any comparison between ceramic and metal brake pads? I've been running Metal Master pads on my 62 for about 3 years now and have liked them, but when I get to the point of installing a pair of DBA slotted rotors (which will hopefully be soon, since my current rotors are getting pretty worn) I'll be putting on new pads also. Should I stick with the Metal Master pads, or order the ceramic pads that Man-A-Fre sells? The prices are the same, so it's just a matter of finding out which ones are better
Why not use DBA pads?

Klierslc

Explorer
No argument with the above poster regarding ceramic pads, but I will offer another way of looking at it. If the pad is softer, then the majority of the wear is borne by the pad. The harder the pad, the more wear is transferred to the rotor. Rotors are more expensive, so I just go with the cheapest pad that gets me the braking performance that I want--also from autozone, the second to cheapest I believe.. I have used this method on all three of my 80s, (and various other cars) and only replaced rotors once--I had a long descent on a mountain road followed by an unexpected stop on a steep hill--warped the rotors, but completely my fault. That was ten years ago and I am still using the rotors that I put on then.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94