Metal frame or 3/4" plywood box?

Mox1968

Hi everyone,

I have recently started my first build of a camping /teardrop trailer. I'm going for the kinda squared shape rather than curves and built the trailer with 750KG suspension. I am about to build the accomodation side of things and trying to decide on whether to use steel tubing to frame and skin it or make a plywood "Box"?
Can anyone say what would be the heavier option out of the two? I want to keep the weight down but feel if I use plywood I would want to use 3/4" for the strength side of it.353.JPG

Alloy

There are many variables thus no simple answer but metal frame seems to be more popular.

A laminated foam wall is the best.

Poor design/construction and subsequent water damage had the RV Industry to move away from wood in the outside walls although Luan (wood) is still used in the laminated skin.

Reactions: opp

billiebob

Tubular steel frame with an aluminum skin will be lighter than 3/4 plywood, and last longer too. Not sure which would be cheaper. A T&G lumber floor will be lighter than plywood or steel.

Your frame looks nice but the lights look pretty vulnerable.

old_CWO

Many home builders successfully use plywood construction for light weight teardrop trailers. I believe the common method is 3/4" floor and sides with 1x2 stringers and thinner material for the roof skin. Metal construction is durable and can be very sturdy and light weight if done properly. I would say both are fine for a camping trailer, so it comes down to this: are you a better welder or woodworker? For which process do you already own more tools?

Mox1968

Many home builders successfully use plywood construction for light weight teardrop trailers. I believe the common method is 3/4" floor and sides with 1x2 stringers and thinner material for the roof skin. Metal construction is durable and can be very sturdy and light weight if done properly. I would say both are fine for a camping trailer, so it comes down to this: are you a better welder or woodworker? For which process do you already own more tools?
i suppose Im a better welder/fabricator but I do a lot of woodworking too.

Mox1968

Tubular steel frame with an aluminum skin will be lighter than 3/4 plywood, and last longer too. Not sure which would be cheaper. A T&G lumber floor will be lighter than plywood or steel.

Your frame looks nice but the lights look pretty vulnerable.
I think I will fabricate some steel cage or something to go over the lights but I am loathe to do so until I get the trailer certified in case they aren't happy with the lights being obscured.

Louisd75

Adventurer
I used wood. My side walls are 1/8" Luan for the inside followed by 3/4" for the inner ply followed by 1/2" for the outer panel. The 3/4" plywood layer is skeletonized. The 1/2" plywood layer is skeletonized about halfway through. I filled the pockets with 1" rigid foam.

The roof is a sandwich of 1/4" plywood and 1" rigid foam with 1" wood spars running across.

Here's the wall before the foam and interior panel were installed:
image.php

The roof is pretty solid as well. I had to do some work on my fan during our last trip, I'm working in the center of the roof:

image.php

I built the frame out of steel, but I figured wood working would be faster for me to build the body since I don't have much experience bending/rolling shapes in steel.

Louisd75

Adventurer
i suppose Im a better welder/fabricator but I do a lot of woodworking too.

Something else to consider is that metal is a much better conductor of heat than wood. I'm not saying wood in itself is a great insulator, but it is better than wood. If you camp places that are hot/cold, you'll want to figure out an effective way to insulate your trailer. That may be move involved using metal.

Mox1968

I used wood. My side walls are 1/8" Luan for the inside followed by 3/4" for the inner ply followed by 1/2" for the outer panel. The 3/4" plywood layer is skeletonized. The 1/2" plywood layer is skeletonized about halfway through. I filled the pockets with 1" rigid foam.

The roof is a sandwich of 1/4" plywood and 1" rigid foam with 1" wood spars running across.

Here's the wall before the foam and interior panel were installed:
image.php

The roof is pretty solid as well. I had to do some work on my fan during our last trip, I'm working in the center of the roof:

image.php

I built the frame out of steel, but I figured wood working would be faster for me to build the body since I don't have much experience bending/rolling shapes in steel.
That is one sweet camper !!

Mox1968

Hard to say which will method will be heavier. But thats simple as create basic plans, a materials list, then find your sliderule.
Fwiw, Unless you have a full on sheetmetal shop, Plywood will be much faster construction. Probably quieter in use.

Consider how its will be stored off season. It appears you are in a rainy lefthand driving country...
Obviously indoors is best. Alot of wooden trailers seriously suffer sitting outside, an undetected leak is disaster.
During winter, I keep mine under good tarps. All its interior cushions, etc. to keep inside my house.
You are correct left hand driving with a lot of driving rain at times !!!! It will be outside and I was planning on using tarps when not being used.

opp

Observer
Consider how its will be stored off season
undetected leak is disaster
If you build some thing it be nice if it lasted a life are two times. Storage can be insane in cost. Wood some day will rot are break . Seams more are going the wrong way .building heavy and rigged the best is lite and flexible laminated foam cost less to build with all the benefits Far easier to build with. less tools and life time and the eases to repair

Mox1968

If you build some thing it be nice if it lasted a life are two times. Storage can be insane in cost. Wood some day will rot are break . Seams more are going the wrong way .building heavy and rigged the best is lite and flexible laminated foam cost less to build with all the benefits Far easier to build with. less tools and life time and the eases to repair
For me , materials are a big problem. I live in a rural part of ireland and buying anything but the most common of building materials is always difficult to get suppliers, delivery etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94